1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My Adventures with Windows 8

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Zariell, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I have the fortunate circumstances of owning a newer Laptop and Desktop, both of which came with an upgrade to Windows 8, now being the suspicious sort I decided that I would upgrade my laptop first, so I could make sure its not going to fubar my software to all hell on my desktop. :p

The install was clean and easy, Windows not only told me what wasn't compatible but where to fix the problem after it installed, and the progress bar was a lovely swirl of dots, which are quite hypnotic for those into that sort of thing.

Well enough snappy and witty remarks, on to how I feel about Windows 8... Honestly is a love hate thing, I think if I had a touch screen computer it would be much better, since it looks like it was designed for that, finding files and folders are a bit of a pain now, and except for a registry hack, there appears to be no way to make the computer OS emulate the old familiar versions of Windows.

Lightroom 4 and Adobe PS 5 worked, although I had to go back and install new version of my 3d card, apparently windows liked an older version, one which wouldn't render photographs :p My Nik software works fine, as well as my Onone software.

I will wait a bit to install this beast on my main workflow computer, I'm really hoping they tweak it a bit. :p

Oh and before you say I should get an Apple, I hate Apple they are the DEBIL!! :p So please keep your comments on my stupidity to a minimum, or at least a dull roar...

• Like Like x 3
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've heard there is a great temptation to poke at the screen even when that doesn't work. I'll be curious to try it out.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Exactly. Why Microsoft thinks one OS / UI is appropriate for all devices is beyond me. Their theme song should be "Still clueless after all these years."

For a decade or two MS tried to convince us that a UI designed for large screens, keyboards and mice was appropriate for small devices and touch screens (WinCE, etc.). Now they're trying to convince us that a UI designed for small touch screens is appropriate for large screens, mice and keyboards.

It's just mind-bogglingly short sighted.

I don't like Apple either, but at least they understand a computer and a table / phone aren't the same thing. I guess my next PC I'll build myself, so I can move my existing copy of Windows 7 Ultimate to it.

Oh, and as a general rule I never buy a 0 point release of ANY Microsoft product. By the 3rd release they generally have it working pretty well. I suspect when MS realizes that pretty much no businesses will buy computers with Win 8 on board, they'll revert to a version that lets you keep the current desktop style interface on it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do share.

So far it seems odd as I just launch notepad (or most any 'desktop' style app) and suddenly the almost familiar desktop appears. As I always have several apps open I always see the desktop anyway.

5. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Having the desktop show up is easy, I just don't like the forced colorful apps, give me a start button that opens up a menu, not a bright color filled screen I boxes that looks like a clown's vomit. I am simple ;)

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    But whenever you do something that calls for one of the "new" apps, Win 8 drops you back to the tile interface. There's really no way to force it to stay with the traditional desktop (except, perhaps, a registry hack).

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I am a big Mac user, but am quite intrigued by win8 and the surface tablet. Its nice to see them finally trying somethng new.

8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    played around at best buy with win8 machines
    what was EXTRA confusing was that SOME of the machines WERE touch.. and some not... it was so obnoxious to poke at it, and it not work suddenly and feel STUPID while everyone around you looks at you like youre.. stupid...
    lol

what we also found was, some of the average spec'd machines seem to be FAR snappier than some of the higher spec'd machines
    it was super odd...

9. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Could have to do with the apps, from what I've been told apps don't necessarily close when you move back to the start screen, therefor a machine could have a good portion of its resources eaten without you exactly knowing about it.

I believe to "close" the app you click and hold at the top of the screen and then drag down till it goes poof. Personally I prefer a nice x.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've been running every version of Windows for many years now, even Vista. Keeping up with and ahead of technology is my world, for better or worse. I was scheduled for a rebuild of my PC anyways with a new SSD, so I pulled up an MSDN copy of Win8 about a month back and went in with both feet on my desktop and an HTPC.

From an interface design point of view, I consider the OS to be kind of a failure. The Metro interface is okay on its own merits, and probably makes a good tablet OS. But it meshes very poorly with desktop usage and has a bunch of stupid decisions and failures. Most of them are distractions and annoyances rather than showstoppers, which is good I guess. There are a number of nice touches in areas of the OS that have needed it for years -- file copy progress windows, the new task manager, etc. Of course a lot of things have moved or vanished for no useful reason.

TL;DR: Overall I don't feel that Windows 8 is a productive change from 7. The kernel and system core are pretty much the same as 7 for most users, although Storage Spaces is a sweet software RAID implementation. If you have XP or Vista, now is an excellent time to upgrade to 7. (Actually it's quite a lot of years late, but never mind.) If you're already on 7, now is a great time to stay on 7. If you're already on 8, shrug. It's quirky, but not a Vista-type disaster or anything like that. Took me about three days to get used to it, find all the stuff they hid for no reason, and move on with my life.

I'd still rather use Win8 over MacOSX, but the gap is narrowing as Apple's been doing a lot of really useful revisions to their OS over the years while MS sorta flails. Overall Windows is still the more stable, better written OS -- but most of the PCs you can buy off the shelf are trash heaps. The most reliable system out there might be a Macbook Pro running Windows 7. Of course the stagnation of the Mac Pro line is disconcerting too. The MBP and iMac don't really have "gaming" type specs, so we're still building Windows PCs for our workstations. I don't mind, as the newest machines are now getting 32 GB of memory at the princely sum of $150 for high end Corsair chips. Check that box on Apple's site and see what happens.

Linux is actually more of a disaster lately, between Unity and GNOME Shell making a mess of things and a variety of contenders jockeying for position (KDE, MATE, Cinnamon, XFCE). For desktop usability they're doing worse than ever in some ways. The dust will probably settle in 2-3 years, but there's a sharper divide between distributions than there's been in many years. I'm not particularly committed to Linux, but seeing the major distros taking their interfaces in wildly different directions is an unwelcome development.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    For me I think for now I will keep Win7 on my desktop, and continue to see what unfolds with Win8 on my laptop, see what sort of changes comes down the pipe.

12. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Having been caught out a few times in the past with OS upgrades, I usually wait a while to allow for driver development and bug fixes before I invest into any OS. This time I’ve dived in feet first since my kids were in need of laptops and it didn’t make sense to buy them with an outgoing platform.

On the up side, Windows 8 has integrated flawlessly into our home environment. All of our Windows 7 compatible hardware and software is working perfectly, and I don’t recall ever having such a smooth transition. It found my wireless printer and installed it without even asking. The way Win 8 interconnects with current social networking media is also very slick. It seems fairly quick, even on modestly spec’d laptops. The kids have taken to it very well indeed. They love the new UI and the Windows app store.

On the down side, navigation is more complicated and less intuitive, especially when driven by a mouse (touchpad gestures designed for Win8 do help a bit). It’s probably just a matter of learning ‘how to walk’ again, but I feel that for many, it will be too much too soon. Maybe these changes should have been brought in through successive updates? I feel many businesses will hold back this release due to the inevitable impact the drastic change will have on productivity. I think it needs a ‘Windows classic’ UI option, so those less adventurous can continue to work efficiently and allowing for evolution rather than reinvention. I’ll probably upgrade my desktop to Win 8 soon, but mainly through a need to learn it, not because of what it can offer me over Windows 7.

So, for a home OS, I think it’s interesting, and learning your way around a new environment is all part of the fun. For business roll out, at the moment, I’m not so confident. It seems a risky move to me, but I have a feeling that MS know what they want to achieve, and they’ve had to take a gamble in order to move in a new direction. It worked with Windows 95 so who knows???

13. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I think Microsoft is trying very hard to make their products all the same and familiar, if you have an Xbox 360, it looks damn close to win8, and their mobile devices all have that look, problem is there is no catch all solution what works great for my Xbox, shouldn't be the same mold as my PC, or my tablet.

I admire them for going all in though :)

14. rcky

rcky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2011
    Washington state
    Alt-F4 still works.

15. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Just tried it, and app was still running alt f4 just closed the window...

16. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I stand corrected my laptop was doing some weird crap, it took it about two minutes then it closed the app, restarted and its doing it like it should.

17. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Well discovered one major issue, Itunes hates Windows 8, I followed all the hints and tips, but whenever Itunes is run, after a few minutes it crashes the whole computer, damn glad I don't have to sync with it anytime soon, I wonder how long it will take Apple to fix it :p

18. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    ITunes is working fine on Win8 for me. I mean it works badly, but no more or less so than anywhere else.

19. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I agree and disagree.

I'm a life long gamer, and to be honest, my 2010 MacBook Pro handles just about every game thus far. So long as you get a model with a discrete GPU, you're fine.

Recent PC titles I've tried with success: Civilization V, Fallout: New Vegas, Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

That brings me to another note, PC gaming is in dire need of new IPs. For the past console generation I've played a lot of interesting new IPs that sole PC gamers are missing out on.

The upgrade pricing at Apple leaves something to be desired. iMacs are still relatively easy, though the new Fusion Drive forces you to get Apple certified parts. On the portable side, the Retina MBPs are great, but memory upgrades are now stuck at the config you purchase. That is something I'm not particularly fond of. If it's not for OWC with MBP and Air compatible Flash Drives, I might give up on Apple notebooks. Hopefully 16 GB will be good enough for some time to come.

iMacs are still very user upgradeable.

Mac Pro is something Apple refreshes when a revolutionary tech is made available. Until Intel revises the Xeon platform again, it's unlikely Apple will have a new Mac Pro.

20. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    Just upgraded my older notebook with Windows 8.
    Other than the switching to desktop mode, I don't get much trouble with it. Scroll mouse helps a lot with the new start screen.

Well, I hate that the Metro version IE is also freezed when going to background.
    The Store also need more applications that do more than few tasks.