My aching old back is loving M43....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by picker77, Apr 17, 2012.

1. picker77

picker77 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2012
    Oklahoma
    New E-P3 with VF-2, four lenses (14-42, 40-150, 45/1.8, 20/1.7) and a spare battery, all in a small Domke bag: total 3.7 lb.

Nikon D200 with Nikkor 16-85VR & 70-300VR, Tamron 90 2.8 VR Macro, SB-600 flash, and spare batteries in a Kata bag: total 10.8 lb.

Now, I'm not saying this E-P3 can stand up to the way my D200 handles, and I love-love-love the Nikon's control layout. I'm so familiar with it I can operate it almost without looking at it. And I'm not ready to dump my DSLR gear (yet), but for it's weight and size M43 is where the action is as far as I'm concerned, unless you work full time for National Geographic or something. The E-P3 is a dynamite little package, and the 45/1.8 and 20/1.7 are absolutely amazing little lenses. Come to think of it, even if I added the Panny 100-300 I'd like to have, I'd still be under 1/2 the weight of the DSLR kit. The older I get the more I appreciate that.

After shooting with the M43 kit for a couple of weeks, I grabbed the Nikon bag to go out and macro some flowers this morning, and it felt like I was carrying a sack of concrete with a shoulder strap. What a difference! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I use a D200 as my main camera as well! As my secondary, I use a Panasonic G2. In all fairness to Nikon, you aren't comparing apples to apples. A landscape and macro photographer friend of mine wanted a backup kit to his big bad D70 kit (the lenses are big and bad, the body not so much anymore, but he shoots at base ISO anyway), so he bought a backup D3100 with 18-55mm, and an SB400 to use when shooting macro with his Ai-s 105mm f/4. Add a 55-200mm VR and 35mm f/1.8G to that, and you have a more comparable kit to your E-P3 setup, plus a camera with the battery life of a Los Angeles class nuclear sub.

3. fgbrault

fgbrault Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    My back loves Micro 4:3 too. :)

4. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I also gave up my DSLR system due too weight and portability issues.
    I want a camera that I can bring with me all the time but has good image quality and the M43 system suits this.

5. picker77

picker77 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2012
    Oklahoma
    True, and as proof I'm not giving up my Nikon habit, I have a nice classic 180mm 2.8 AI-S on the way. Of course, after I've tried it out on the D200 it might also find it's way over to the E-P3's Nikon F adapter, lol. When the lens gets very much bigger than the camera, though, things do seem a little out of proportion. One of the best examples of that on the forum is here:

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/olympus-om-d-some-really-expensive-lenses-24241/

Put THAT puppy in your camera bag! There may be more ridiculous examples around, but I haven't seen them, lol.

6. peterbee

peterbee Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 2, 2011
    Huddersfield, UK
    Peter Bartlett
    I can really relate to the sentiments of this thread. Since November last year I've used my DSLR system only twice - once for some macro work at home and last weekend, I took the DSLR + zoom lenses out on a shoot for the first time since buying into M43. It didn't take long to question why I'd done hat and not used the E-P3.

I really will have to give some serious thought soon about whether I carry on with the DSLR, or whether I sell all or part of it, especially as I'm lusting after the forthcoming Oly 60mm & 75mm primes!