My 5 minute experience with the OM-D EM-5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dtchan, Feb 20, 2012.

1. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Today I finally got to try the Olympus OM-D EM-5 in Vancouver. We were very fortunate as we are the first ones to try it out in Canada. Lens & Shutter invited an Olympus rep from Montreal to show us the camera and gave us a short presentation on it. I think we had a small group of around 20 people but unfortunately there was only 1 camera for us to try so my playing time with it was very very minimal.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. I just wanted to take a quick snap with my iphone of my Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 on the black EM-5. I think it would look pretty nice without the flash, but anyhow I pre-ordered the silver model instead.

Me trying out the EM-5 with my 0.95
    tn.

tn2.

1. Build quality is very good. Feels very well made.

2. EVF is very important to me and I was worried that the EVF on the EM-5 would not match my expectations.

a. Comparing the EM-5 EVF with my GH2 EVF (which I have sold) - I think I prefer the GH2 EVF because of the much larger magnification. Manual focusing with the Vogtlander 25mm and the Canon FD lens were very very nice. The EM-5 EVF's color is better than the GH2. It seems more natural and a bit warmer. The EM-5 EVF feels small - not sure if it is because I didn't adjust it cause I wear glasses and the Olympus rep did not.

b. I think the EM-5 EVF is better than the VF2 though but my experience of both are limited.

c. I tried one of the Sony's OLED EVF and I think that one is simply the best.

3. I thought the EM-5 sensor is suppose to be a secret but the Olympus rep told us it is from Panasonic.

4. I also tried the 12-50mm lens. Honestly I think is very small - much smaller than the pics we see on the internet. The size I think is about 1 cm longer than my Voigtlander. It is very light and the build quality is ok to me. The electronic zoom is smooth. I think pulling back the ring becomes a manual zoom. It is nice but the feeling is very wierd - you can feel the mechanical gear moving it. I mean is better than not having this option but it doesn't feel that great.

• Like Like x 19
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Lucky guy!

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Did you get to shoot with it with your own memory card?

4. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Nope, not allowed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Thanks for the rundown!

A little disappointed by the EVF magnification ...

6. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I also had a chance to try the OM-D E-M5 for a couple of minutes (5~10 mins) in CP+ 2012 held here (in Japan) few days ago.

I will just back up dtchan's obsevation based on my personal encounter on E-M5.

1) Yeah, build quality is very good. I bring my X100 with me and it feels like they almost have the same build quality. Very nice to hold. You can really feel it's a solid camera.

2) I think the EVF on E-M5 is better than that of my X100.

3) I have no comment about the sensor. The rep said that it is a new sensor.

4) The unit I tried is with 12-50mm. And yes, the camera plus the 12-50mm lens is smaller in hand compare to what we see in the internet. Also, even with the attached side grip and battery grip, this unit is still small (I am used to handling D90 with tamron 17-50mm f2.8). I think if the panny 20mm is put on the E-M5, it will be the same size as my X100 (or maybe the E-M5 feels a little bit smaller).

5) The AF speed is amazingly fast. I'm used to the slow autofocus of my X100. I also tried the continuous shooting (9fps) and it's like a machine gun.

6) Shutter sound is of course louder than my X100. But I think not too loud if used on street shooting.

7) The touch screen is very responsive. Capturing photo using the touch screen is also fast.

8) Manual Zoom and motorized zoom is also responsive.

9) Dials on top are not quite solid and tactile as my X100.

10) In Macro Mode, AF is also faster compare to my X100.

• Like Like x 10
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I know this will sound like an odd question but -

What did you think about the rubber grip portions?

I have noticed the textures are different between the black and silver models. Interested to know what the high-tech looking one feels like on the black{the silver one has a simulated leather texture so I can imagine what it is like}. Do you think it grips well , even if one's hands were wet?

8. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I had a chance to try both (black and silver). Grip wise, I think they are just the same. It feels good in hand. It is not slipping (I also have sweaty hands). Plus, at the backside, it has a rubbery-"thumbs up"-like thing for a more secure grip.

Both of the textured grip from black and silver are more "rubbery/grippy" compare to my X100. The leather like grip of my X100 is more of a "plasticy" type. In my opinion, I think the grip on E-M5 is better.

• Like Like x 5
  9. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Did either of you try out the movie function and see if they resolved their Jelly effect???

Did they download the images from the memory card to a computer so you could see the quality of the sensor???

Did either of you find anything that you would have liked differently done on the camera or something that in your opinion wasn't done right??? (ignoring the EVF)

10. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    I can answer that from my hands-on experience with the OM-D in Japan. The jelly-like wobble of IBIS in video is completely gone :). I also found the thumb dial on the right to be slightly difficult to reach. You'll notice the thumb grip on the side of the camera is quite far away, and the big screen on the back gets in the way of turning the thumb dial sometimes. I imagine it's just a matter of getting used to thumb placement though.

I wrote my about my thoughts with the camera on my website if anyone is interested.

• Like Like x 6
  11. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Damn, did not know that Lens and Shutter were doing that. I guess it's was only for people "in-the-know".

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I think the most important question regarding the black OM-D is, "will it brass?"

13. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Nice write w/ pics etc...

14. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Olympus will sell a limited edition pre-brassed model (with a Levi Stone-wash tag) for $500 more.

:rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX

im beginning to think we need to hire a sleight of hand magician to attend these prerelease things... all in favor?
    lol

they could definitely get a memory card in there, fake some fake shots, and get it back out without being seen!

YESSSSSSSS!

;)

16. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Yah but there wasn't anything interesting to take though. The rep did show us to large print outs from jpeg. They look nice to me. Sadly I just didn't get enough time to play much with it. I just want to ensure my Voigtlander lens work well with it.

17. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Olympus had the E-M5 card slot securely tapped up at the event and there was one representative per camera watching all the time. :p

• Like Like x 1
  18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    • Like Like x 2
  19. frelwa

frelwa Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2011
    Toronto
    I saw those this morning, but I haven't had time to post the link. Thanks for beating me to it. :smile:

20. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    BLAST! Foiled again! *twirls vaudeville moustache*