1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My 2nd day out with my G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Phil66, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    I'm starting to get a bit more confident. I was really worrying that ISO 6400 would be like a mosaic but it isn't. I was worrying that F1.7 wouldn't show anything in a room because of lack of depth of field, but it does.
    Please look at my Flickr pics (link below) and please please comment and advise.

Cheers

Phil

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76155724@N07/sets/72157629662989169/

• Like Like x 2
  2. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    It all looks pretty good from here! Sharp and clear images. The indoor shots are a bit underexposed. You might need to use exposure compensation to adjust the brightness up a bit from what the metering is recommending.

3. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    It was a guided tour so I was trying to listen as well as take photos with an unfamiliar camera. Coming from a compact I don't always think about changing settings until afterwards :rolleyes:. I'm trying to stay on Aperture priority for the time being. I took some pictures of some chickens and the heads were blurred from movement. When I looked at them I realised I should have used Shutter priority. It will come eventually but as I said, coming from a compact, I don't think all the time.
    Inside it was very dark, especially the room with the bed in, the reason for this is that it is the actuall bed that King Charles II slept in when hiding from Oliver Cromwell’s troops after he fled the Battle of Worcester in 1651. They don't want any light fading the cloth.

Info Here

4. rgeorge911

rgeorge911 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Looks Good! Try iAuto, Too!

Welcome to the G3. I enjoy mine so much, I carry two!

If you're used to P&S cameras, you should try iAuto on the G3. It's the lighted red button on the top. No matter what settings you have set up on your camera, switching to iA gives the camera full control over EVERYTHING. But, it does quite a nice job.

I find that if I'm dialed in for one type of shooting (say macro, with manual focus, raw files, vivid color, etc. etc.), and something of another type happens to show up (i.e. a deer walks right up to me while i'm bent over shooting), I can switch to iA and at least know that I'll get a chance at a decent shot.

By the way, I have a Lumix blog that may interest you. Since I am a serious devotee of the G3, and other Lumix cameras (LX5, TS3), you will see lots of examples there. The blog is at:

DMC-365.blogspot.com

Hope you enjoy your new camera, and thanks for sharing your images.

Regards,
    Reed
    DMC-blogspot.com

• Like Like x 1
  5. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria
    I tend to prefer Shutter Priority over Aperture Priority on the G3. This is due to the fact that A mode likes to choose 1/60 of a second for its default shutter speed which is slow enough to show a lot of movement and sometimes even hand shake.

Using S mode I can easily select higher speeds, I just need to keep an eye on the apertures value selected by the camera when trying to emphasize or minimize depth-of-field.

Highly recommend trying both modes!

• Like Like x 1
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Be sure to go in and enable iAuto+ so you can make some very basic changes like exposure compensation

7. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    One thing I really don't like about iA is that the aperture resets itself to wide open sometimes. I don't know when it does it because I set it to the other end and go into other modes and even switch it off and it is still set to max depth of field but sometimes, and I haven't worked out when, it resets back to wide open. I would have thought that most people using iA are coming from P&S cameras and wouldn't have an understanding of shallow depth of field so surely the default should be a fairly small aperture. It's not major but it can be a minor ball ache when you want a quick snapshot.

I'm trying to force myself to learn about the controls by using them :wink:

Cheers

Phil

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    iA and P will always default to wide open in my experience. It will only start to stop down in really bright light

9. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    I thought it would be as point and shoot as possible. Seems odd to go the other way as most using iA will be from p&s

Personally I think you should be able to set the default iA aperture.

Phil

10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Very nice shots!!!!!

I have found that for indoors and low light, under SCN "PARTY" works really well.

11. I found the same thing with the GF1, as though the camera was attempting to compensate for the smaller sensor by shooting as wide open as possible. Oddly enough the GH1 seems to be a bit more conservative and chooses smaller apertures in decent lighting conditions.

12. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Were you using the kit lens?

13. No, the 20mm was the lens I specifically noticed the behaivour on since it has a much wider range of apertures to choose from. I didn't keep my GF1 long enough to test if it did the same thing on other lenses as well.

14. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Good to know. The question was also for Phil, I hope he sees it.

15. chromatin64

chromatin64 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    A Leekist in York, UK
    Russell
    Within limits, you'll get exactly that "mode" if you use A mode and auto-ISO/iISO.

16. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    For some reason my camera is now staying at the least setting for the aperture. I know for a fact when I was using it on my first day out with it I noticed that it would sometimes revert back to wide open. Does anyone know what the criteria is for this to happen?

Thanks

Phil