My 14-42mm X--Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cambevis, Feb 23, 2012.

1. cambevis

cambevis New to Mu-43

Jan 22, 2012
    I have to admit. I look at some of the samples of this problem; and sometimes I can't see what people are noticing. While I don't wear glasses, maybe I should :).

So, I know it's lame but could I beg the indulgence of the group to look at my test shots? I've taken a variety from 1/30-1/250.

I didn't want to spam with a bunch of pictures, so I put them on Google Photos.

Click on options>show details (on the bottom) and you can see the focal length/exposure values.

Photo methods:
    All 42mm
    Various Exposures
    Shutter Priority Mode
    IS on ('cause that's how I use it)
    Handheld (ditto :))
    Crop Value: I don't know, but in the originals you can see both
    sides of street, so cropped a lot I'd say.
    Distance: ~25 ft
    Camera: GF3 1.1 firmware on both camera and lens.
    lens serial no. HH1JC011466

Thanks so much in advance.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    I'm sorry to say that your lens is as bad as mine, Cam. The only shot among those that is sharp is the one at 1/400 sec. The 1/320 sec. and 1/250 sec shots are a little better than the 1/160 sec. But all of the 1/160 sec. and slower shots are soft, some of them egregiously so.

3. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Most are soft, do keep in mind that you'll get some diffraction as you go over f10, however I see the f20 shot is not that bad.

The 1/200 f10 (10th) is ok, 1/400 f7.1 is good, 1/320 - you cropped less, so it looks better ;), 1/160 (15th, 16th) slightly better than others, but not sharp.

Have you tried another focal length, like 20-25mm? The lens is softest at the long end.
  4. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    I just joined this web site yesterday, after someone pointed me towards it after warning me about the problems with this lens. I haven't used it much, but mostly have had successful results. This is at 1/25 of a second, and at the long end (36mm). I can't complain about this sharpness at all!!
    Napping Parrot by Mookalafalas, on Flickr
  5. cambevis

cambevis New to Mu-43

Jan 22, 2012
    So...what do we do now?

I'm disappointed that Panasonic let so many of these go out. I'm unfortunately past a 30-day return window.

Has anyone had luck with Panasonic support for returns and the like?