My 100-300mm has arrived

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by blue, Nov 20, 2010.

1. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Well, after Amazon saying mid Dec, all of a sudden I get a dispatch notice and here it is:

lens_top_view.JPG lenses_side_view.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  2. stingOM

stingOM Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2010
    Ireland
    Conglats! Are you using minolta AF lenses on your Panny body? How does that work for stop down and focusing?

3. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    First image shows it fully extended on tripod, second is unextended next to 20mm, 45mm and a Minolta 100-200 with m43 adapter.

Initial thoughts: heavier than expected. Heavier than the Minolta shown, but similar length. Have taken a few shots, but the light is very bad at the moment - outside this morning was getting 1/100 second at f5.6 with ISO 2000. Autofocus is slow and horribly inaccurate (ie misses target), hopefully will improve with better light.

Also weird colour shift on zooming, these two were taken at f5.6 same ISO, and metered at fractionally different speed. The one on the left is at 100mm cropped to match 300mm on right: 100_300_side.

Click on thumbnails for full size

So far then I'm kinda "meh" about it (really wished for a FAST,sharp, accurate zoom), but as I say maybe some better results in better conditions.

Will be interested in others pictures and experience of this.

• Like Like x 3
  4. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    The Minolta AF

StingOM, I have a m43 adapter that has some sort of pin it which allows manual aperture adjustment - you have to guess at it, but it's not a problem. Focusing is all manual. So far I only have the 100-200 in the AF but am hoping to pick up more at some point. I do like the Minolta look. (The image of the lenses on the table was with my MD 1.4)

5. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    I'd be really interested to see some more shots blue when you have had the opportunity to get more used to it.

The right hand image is at 300mm? It looks pretty sharp, which is good; but the AF speed and accuracy sounds disappointing.

(I have a the ZD 70-300 and I'd replace it with a native lens if the AF is better)

6. stingOM

stingOM Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2010
    Ireland
  7. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Minolta AF

StingOM, similar to that but without numbers on the dial. I did get it on ebay - about $30 from rainbowimaging. Don't quite get infinity focus though, which is a problem on most of these adapters. Do you have the NEX then ?

8. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    some indoor images with 100 - 300mm

Given up on the great outdoors today, too cold and dark. Maybe the sun will come out sometime next week ...

Meanwhile: carton at 100mm, tripod at 250mm, netbook at 250mm, buckle on bag at 300mm, yucca stem at 300mm. All ISO 400, f4 to 5.6

Minor cropping and brightness adjustments otherwise just ooc jpeg.

These are OK I think, and I must say that the OIS seems very effective at close distance - all handheld down to 1/8 th second.

pana_box_100_bw.JPG tripod_250mm.JPG netbook_250mm.JPG buckle_300mm_bw.JPG yucca_stem.JPG

Click on thumbnails for bigger image.

• Like Like x 2
  9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Change in automatic white balance due to different subject matter included in the field of view? If so, not the lens's fault.

10. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    How is the AF in the indoor shot, faster and more accurate?

11. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Congrats - hope mine is not too far away.

Just checked - after 25 Dec - there is no Santa.

Switched order to Adorama - hope they have stock after taking my order.

12. stingOM

stingOM Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi, thank for the info. No I shoot with a Panny G1. I am still new to it. I used to have an E-300 followed by E-510 and Canon 5D. Now it is just the G1.

Are the minolta A mounts adapter highly variable in terms of quality?

13. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    You beat me, I should have also received my lens yesterday but I wasn't home, so it will be tomorrow for me! Will post some sample pictures too as soon as it stops raining.

14. Ranger099

Ranger099 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    I'm not sure why you think these are just "ok"? This lens is looking very good to me. Bokeh is pleasing which is key for my portrait shooting. The AF is more a function of the body than the lens so that doesn't worry me (I'll be using it on a GH2). It's never going to focus as fast as a fast prime (45 2.8) - same applies to DSLR so that's not a problem. It looks damn sharp to me so I'm excited to get mine.

When did you order and was it Amazon US? I got a notice that mine was coming Dec 22nd so perhaps I might get a nice surprise too.

15. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Ranger099, my order came from Amazon UK, I preordered at the end of October.

I did like the close distance shots btw. Perhaps "OK" sounds more understated than I meant. For me though I really wanted the lens for distance wildlife/nature outdoors (often in poor light) and I don't think it's really going to do that job - but it has potential to do well in other situations. I did have the 45-200 a while back, which I didn't get on with but this one is sharper I reckon.

The AF is just not performing for me, and this is what lets it down. Not merely slow, but with the *slightest* distraction it hunts-misses-hunts-misses-hunts-misses-occasionally hits, and that's hopeless for birds or any such similar. I'll be interested if the GH1/GH2 is any better.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ranger099

Ranger099 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010

Thanks blue. Sorry to hear of your troubles with AF. That certainly would be a deal breaker for me. I'm getting that lens for the same use as you along with outdoor portraits. I will put it through the paces when I have it and a GH2 and expect very strong performance or else it will go back to Amazon.

17. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    So, I got mine too... here it is on my GF1.

[​IMG]

I will make some tests in the next days, but I'm pretty confident that it will be more than enough for me, and certainly better than the 45-200 (too short) and than my 500mm mirror lens (too hard to focus properly) for amateur nature photography.

• Like Like x 2
  18. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    If anybody gets a chance to test this lens's autofocus on some wildlife, it'd be great to see the results. Before switching entirely to G1s, I had a Nikkor 55-200 VR that wouldn't autofocus worth @#$%!@# on my D40X--but that camera only had three focus points. I've been hoping that this new lens would do better on a G1. I came away from a trip to Costa Rica frustrated with the bird pictures I'd missed. The autofocus missed a lot of the time, and the MF ring on that lens was really cruddy. If the 100-300's focus ring acts like the one on the 20/1.7, it should be a big step up.

I wonder if using the AF+MF mode would be helpful for birds etc.--getting into the right range quickly with AF, and then fine-tuning with MF.

I don't mind using MF for birds with a lens like this, as long as I can get to it quickly. I was going to use a Nikkor 300mm MF lens, but sold it to raise money for the 100-300mm. I normally prefer primes, but the 100-300mm seemed more flexible for either larger wildlife or closer, easier subjects like frogs, lizards, etc. (Not to mention lighter and smaller for travelling light.)

19. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    well it doesn't count as wildlife but I took a few pictures of pigeons on the roof in front of my house ;) afternoon light, cloudy day, AF working just fine as with the other lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  20. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    I took a few shots with the new lens this afternoon, nothing special as it was freezing cold and it got cloudy and dark very soon. This lens looks pretty good to me and the size and weight are very reasonable on the GF1. AF hunted-missed a bit only when I tried to photograph an airplane crossing the sky.

Can't wait for spring!

[​IMG]
    Taken at 300mm, f5.6, ISO100, 1/640.

• Like Like x 2