1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mutiple flash heads with one synch

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Clint, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I sometimes use manual triggers (PocketWizard Plus III) with multiple flash units. I needed a 3 way split sync cord, 3.5 mm - 1/8ā€ to 3.5mm male to female fittings on the ends of the 3 way splitter so I would only have to use one sync for 3 flash heads.

I have not been able to find a 3 way splitter so I ordered a Belkin mixit Rockstar which has the 3.5mm male plug and 5 - 3.5mm female ports. I just got it and tried syncing five flash heads with one PocketWizard.

It works!!!! Just thought Iā€™d mention it if anyone else happens to need something similar.

2. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Is this indoors or outdoors?
    I'm assuming outdoors, which is why you've gone down the route of hard wired synch, instead of optical slave

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Indoors or outdoors. I am a fan of the Olympus RC system and if it worked in all circumstances I would not use the manual syncs. Sometimes I need to team up my FL-50Rs with a Quantum T-5D-R or two, or maybe even Nikon SB-800s. Other times some of my Olympus units may not fire because the sensing unit is hidden from view and there is nothing to reflect the Master's light into the remote flash.

4. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Interesting.
    Personally, I prefer manual all the way, although run and gun at a wedding would be TTL, of course. (Except the bridal portrait session).
    Just thought a cheap set of radio triggers would at least reduce the amount of hair pulling when shoooting under pressure.
    That said, from your profile pic, you're doing better than me ;)