Mute Swan

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Tecpatl4, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Taken with OM-Zuiko 135mm. Just got this lens last week and still learning to use it, I think I needed a tripod.
    ISO 400 at f8, dawn light, IS-1 on.

Crop and Color correction done with PS Express on Ipod Touch, I'm not allowed to plug in any outside data sources to my work pc.

If I can I'll go back at lunchtime and see if more light helps.

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Is this an autofocus lens? If it is then open the baby up fron f/8 to f/4 or so ... that will give you two more stops of shutter speed and a creamier background.

Legacy lens (long and macro) are tough to handhold ... try a monopod, easier to carry and faster to set up. Even a string with a small weight attached into the tripod socket is useful. Screw it in, drop the weight, stand on weight and lift camera until taunt, snap away. (weight is optional)

• Like Like x 1
  3. RedLeopard

RedLeopard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    Bolton, UK
    Agree a monopod is a good (and more portable) option. I picked up one from 7dayshop a few weeks back and have to say its excellent - much more sturdy than I thought it would be. The monopod and a V-shape adaptor for the top to rest a lens barrel on for under £10 - bargain!

Another alternative is a good beanbag if you have something to rest on (eg fence or the ground). You can even make your own like this one I finished last night :)

4. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Well I just realized, the first picture I posted is a Trumpeter Swan.

Here's the Mute Swan. They all live in the ponds around my office building. There is a pair of Great Blue Herons as well, but they are quite shy.
    I don't think the 135 is going to quite do it for these guys, but I'll keep trying.

5. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    The monopod seems to have helped a lot. Plus full daylight. I guess I'm going to have to get used to the fact that using a 30 year old lens is a bit tougher than the new stuff. Still, that's why we do it isn't it.