Mute Swan

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Tecpatl4, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    Taken with OM-Zuiko 135mm. Just got this lens last week and still learning to use it, I think I needed a tripod.
    ISO 400 at f8, dawn light, IS-1 on.

Crop and Color correction done with PS Express on Ipod Touch, I'm not allowed to plug in any outside data sources to my work pc.

If I can I'll go back at lunchtime and see if more light helps.

muteswan1.jpg

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Is this an autofocus lens? If it is then open the baby up fron f/8 to f/4 or so ... that will give you two more stops of shutter speed and a creamier background.

Legacy lens (long and macro) are tough to handhold ... try a monopod, easier to carry and faster to set up. Even a string with a small weight attached into the tripod socket is useful. Screw it in, drop the weight, stand on weight and lift camera until taunt, snap away. (weight is optional)

G

• Like Like x 1
  3. RedLeopard

RedLeopard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    Bolton, UK
    Agree a monopod is a good (and more portable) option. I picked up one from 7dayshop a few weeks back and have to say its excellent - much more sturdy than I thought it would be. The monopod and a V-shape adaptor for the top to rest a lens barrel on for under £10 - bargain!

Another alternative is a good beanbag if you have something to rest on (eg fence or the ground). You can even make your own like this one I finished last night :)

264364_10150307319723385_663713384_9127499_1087071_n.jpg

4. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    Well I just realized, the first picture I posted is a Trumpeter Swan.

Here's the Mute Swan. They all live in the ponds around my office building. There is a pair of Great Blue Herons as well, but they are quite shy.
    I don't think the 135 is going to quite do it for these guys, but I'll keep trying.

swan2.jpg

5. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    The monopod seems to have helped a lot. Plus full daylight. I guess I'm going to have to get used to the fact that using a 30 year old lens is a bit tougher than the new stuff. Still, that's why we do it isn't it.

swan3.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.