1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Must have accessories for Micro Four Thirds System.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by colbycheese, Jun 26, 2013.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I have a bag, a tripod, shutter release and nikon adapter. Is there any other must have accessories or essential accessories? I just feel like my setup is missing something. Dunno why.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    A flash and a fedora.:biggrin:

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Straps? More/different bags? :rolleyes: Filters? Extra batteries & SD cards?

4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Various filters and extension tubes, lighting.

5. PhillyBill

PhillyBill Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2012
    William Jordan
    A polarizer or neutral density filter. Stopping down to f/16 or 22 all the time defeats the purpose of the big sensor and Oly/Pana/Leica lenses. Get the depth of field and sharpness you paid for.

6. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I never thought of this. This may be something i will get

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Don't forget about a "Press" badge to tuck into the band of the hat -- if the cartoons I grew up on are any indication, that should grant you access to just about anywhere you'd like to shoot. :tongue:

In all seriousness, I don't understand why the OP feels like he/she needs more extraneous gear. If there is some particular shot you're not able to get, let us know and we can perhaps recommend some bit of kit (or perhaps technique) that might help you get it, but just an open-ended plea for a gear lust list seems nonsensical.

8. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I am trying to improve the video capabilities on the G3. Is there any accessories that can help with that? Also, i was just curious about what else is out there.

9. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    No No No!
    Not 'or' AND. Polarizers are much more than just light reducing elements, they work wonders at reducing/increasing reflections!
    ND filters can also be useful especially at moderate to high factors, a variable ND will often be ideal but can give odd effects with wide angle views...

I could easily add a huge collection of other items, but much of it depends on the sort of Photography you like. One thing thats not been mentioned yet that may be worth considering is a sensor cleaner. I use an artic butterfly, but not as often as the sensor needs it! :wink:

10. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    In what ways do you find the current capabilities lacking? What types of shots are you looking to achieve? In what specific ways do you find the videos you are shooting now to be lacking? Posting some examples might be helpful in this regard.

There are all kinds of accessories that are used in video production from stabilization systems to follow focus rigs to screen loupes to external mics to variable neutral density filters to sliders and on and on, but until we know what limitations you are trying to circumvent it's extremely difficult to know what to recommend.

11. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Do you have a second battery yet? In my limited experience the first "must have" is a battery in the camera and a second ready in your pocket.

12. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I don't feel like it is lacking or limited. I am just wondering what kind of acessories are essential or must have for video. I don't find it lacking

13. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    yes, with m4/3 I think extra batteries and sd cards are the first things to get. The battery is just not as long lasting.

14. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Thanks. this is the answer i want. The answer i don't want is someone saying i am asking a pointless question.

15. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think you need to think about what you want to shoot? and how do you want it to look? then take it from there. :smile:
    Landscapes and outdoors? As everyone has suggested add an assortment of filters ND, ND Grads, Polarizer, maybe UV haze moreso to protect lens if that's your thing. Filters are pretty essential in my kit at least for outdoors stuff.

Hoods for your lenses-to cut glare in bright light, and protect the front element.

Using a tripod? -remote cable? I usually just use the 2 sec timer on touch screen when traveling, but a cable release is a nice to have item, and allows you to work a little faster and better control timing of release.

Modifier for an accessory flash if you have one. Either a Demb pop-up flip-it or even a business card and a rubber band, can give you MUCH better results with pop-up flash.

Cleaning kit - Sm rocket blower, lens pen(with brush), cloth and a couple packages of Zeiss lens wipes are in my bag.

Extra Batteries and Cards?

Gallon zip lock bag or an ultralight dry bag for emergency gear rain protection, if you spend a lot of time outdoors and you don't have a waterproof bag.

16. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Thank you. This is very helpful.

17. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Well, in that case, beyond an extra battery and memory card or two (as many have already recommended) I would just recommend you stop focusing on what gear you are "missing" and go out and shoot with the gear you already have. No sense looking for new gear until you've tapped the potential of the gear you already own.

18. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Pan and tilt head.