Museum Shots - EP2 + OM 50mm

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Swandy, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I wanted to replace my OM 50mm 1.8 for a while (the focus slips a bit) and an Ebay seller that I had dealt with sent me two Olympus 50mm 1.4 lenses to test out.
    Some shots from the Brooklyn Museum using the EP2, EVF and the 50mm 1.4.
    Steve.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Roni G

Roni G Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Israel
    The Olympus color are fantastic. Did you shoot JPEGs or RAW?

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Great photographs, Steve, and from the results, the Oly 50/1.4 looks like a winner. How did you like working with it on the E-P2?

4. Swandy

Dec 15, 2009
    Roni, Thanks - the first three were shot in RAW and developed in LR 2.6 with no adjustments, only resizing and converting to JPEGs for posting. The last shot is the Grainy B&W Art Filter, which comes out of the camera as a JPEG.
    Steve

5. Swandy

Dec 15, 2009
    Amin, Thanks for the compliment. I really liked the 50mm 1.8 but my version developed a slight slip when focusing. The 1.4 versions are slightly bigger and heavier - though not much - and are pretty nice wide open. But the advantage is that the 1.4 can be stopped down one click and it is now 2.0 (only about 1/2 stop) with a very nice improvement in sharpness and contrast but still a pretty fast lens.
    And I really like these lenses on both of the EPs with the obvious advantage (for me) to the EP2 because I like the manual focusing much better with the EVF than with the LCD. But that is just a personal preference.
    Steve

6. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I made a few portraits with an OM 2.8 on an OM-2n once upon a time. Thought it was a great combination. I suspect that working with an OM 50/1.4 on an E-P2 would have much of the same charm with the added benefit of image stabilization.

7. JAK

JAK New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Toronto
    ROM Toronto

Taken yesterday at the ROM in Toronto...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Really nice captures Steve and James, thanks for sharing!

I think I'd like an E-P2 for manual focusing with the EVF... still waiting for supplies to the UK.

Cheers

Brian

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Very exciting Swandy/Steve, I missed this thread before I think. (In addition it was one of your posts that made me feel the EVF was the right choice for me due to my OM-1 lenses (which include the 50mm 1.4)...and after seeing the EVF and ever so briefly trying it out with a different OM-1 lense, I became convinced. Hope to be trying it out soon.) I think I saw some of these shots, perhaps on Voyager's site? My favorite is the first one.:drinks:

Jak/James, that is a very interesting shot. It took me a second look to really see what I was looking at - very cool depth of field as you photographed down, down, down. :cool:

~ BB

10. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I didn't figure out what I was looking at until I read your post!

• Like Like x 1
  11. BBW

:happy-084: Aha, it's a test! Well, maybe not - but it is a cool shot.

12. Swandy

Dec 15, 2009
    Jak - I also took a few shots in the stairwell at the museum (the elevators were just too slow). Don't think I could see as many levels as in yours. What camera and lens were you using?

Brian - Knowing how much you are enjoying your EP1 - and I believe some of the older lenses - I would stay FAR AWAY from the EP2/EVF. It might become too irrestible.

BBW - If Voyager's site is EP1.NET, then you are right. Posted them there also. Like to get feedback on some of my shots. I shot the first one with both lenses at various apertures. It was great seeing the background slowly come into focus and glad I finally have a relatively small camera that can do that.

Thanks everyone for looking,
    Steve

13. BBW

Yes, Steve - Voyager's site is EP1.net Keep on shooting and posting 'em - and writing, too.

14. JAK

JAK New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Toronto
    Steve, it was the standard GF1/20mm combination. Despite being 6"6', I can now claim to be an inconspicuous photographer. James

15. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Keep telling yourself that, James :biggrin:.