Museum Exhibition: Manipulated Photography Before Photoshop

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Ver7igo, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Ver7igo

Ver7igo Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Sounds like a very interesting exhibit. I'm sure it will be an eye opener for many of those out there that think, wrongly, that photomanipulation began with digital imaging and Photoshop.

There is no major aspect of photography that doesn't have its roots in process and methods first used during the first 25 years after the public announcements of successful permanent photographs. Stereo, color, flash, extreme closeup/photomicrography, astrophotography, trick photography, retouching, ... (the list goes on and on) ... were all done within the first quarter century after the Daguerre and Fox-Talbot 1839 announcements.
  3. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    There is a review in this morning's New York Times. I was in New York this week and visited the Met on Wednesday, unfortunately, the day before the full exhibit opened. There were, however, some fairly interesting images showing outside the main exhibit space (e.g., the Carlton Watkins "before" and "after" images mentioned in the NYT piece). I did get to see the small companion exhibit of manipulation after the age of Photoshop. There was some great stuff in there.
  4. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I like that : sponsered by Adobe !!!:smile::smile:

Too bad it is on the wrong side of the ocean :rolleyes:

C U,