Multiple FL-600R plus...

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Johbremat, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    I already own an FL-600R. Shooting with an E-P5 or E-M1. Looking at two additional FL-600R to complete a portable 3-point lighting setup and trying to decide on 'mounts'.

Can I get opinions on the purchase of Joby Gorillapods ('Focus' w/ ball head in particular) for placing these?

Also curious to hear from anyone who has experience with diffusers. Been looking at the Interfit Strobies and believe a combination of all of the above would meet my needs.

S'pose my ultimate concern is, if you were shooting by yourself (wife will only cope with so much), what would you use as a compact, portable setup...

2. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    And I had the previous post I.

Paragraphs but it didn't stick. Apologies if the above is hard to read.

3. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    And the second post worked a treat (as far as line breaks are concerned).

*sigh*

4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I would slightly question the purchase of an additional 2 FL600rs. They are pretty good flashes with TTL and FP but they are very expensive. You could buy 3 Yongnuo 560iii flashes for the price of 1 additional FL600r. Yes they are manual but if you are using a 3 point wireless controlled flash set up I imagine that you will use manual too.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I use a set similar to this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Speedlit...48?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19ea03432c. Or even things like this which can complement a flash unit very nicely: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Photogra...43?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cdc8f7d0f. You can pick up all of these really cheaply and they travel well. Google 'light stands' and there'll be hundreds available.

There's nothing wrong with the Olympus flash units, especially since you can control each one individually from the camera to adjust and balance your lighting. Sometimes it can be worthwhile paying the extra for fully compatible flash units.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Yongnuo 560iii is much more powerful than FL600 if you need more power.

7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    No there's nothing wrong with the Olympus flashes. But you can only set the power from the camera if you are using a flash to trigger the other flashes which I have never found particularly effective especially outside (and probably especially in Thailand.)

The Yongnuo 560iii is very interesting in 2 other respects. First each flash has a built in wireless receiver - therefore there is no need to carry lots of receivers. Secondly, Yongnuo has announced a new transmitter which will be able to manually control the power output of up to 6 Yongnuo flashes from your camera (or the back of the transmitter to be precise.)

http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn560-tx-revealed/

As you can see they only announced it less than a month ago, so there are no reviews. But genuine wireless power control (as opposed to optical) sounds pretty good to me. And as it is Yongnuo the transmitter cost should be less than US$100.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Cheers, robbie36, but as OzRay has hit on I'm digging the idea managing them wirelessly from the camera.

Good point Halaking, though don't think I'll need much more output than the FL-600R provides (famous last words). If I did, would probably look at the DMW-FL580L.

Thanks for the links OzRay. Something to consider.

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The E-M1 comes with a small flash that is pretty much purpose built to control other Olympus flashes and optical triggers from on-camera (and requires no batteries). I've done several trials using my FL-50R x 2 and FL-50 x 2 flash units (the latter set manually and fired with optical triggers) and the control available for the former is simply excellent. Obviously everything has to be more or less line of sight for the flash triggers to work, but if you're creating a portrait type setup, then they work very well. Olympus uses the same sort of setup as Nikon, for example, so it can't be all that bad.

YongNuo is without a doubt coming up with quite an array of flash units and accessories, but personally, I'd be holding off committing to a lot of their gear until they have established a solid reputation for quality and reliability. I think the YongNuo flash units that have built-in optical triggers are a great idea, as this alleviates one extra accessory, and they would be fairly useful for such things as background lights etc, which you can more or less set and forget. If YongNuo made dedicated flash units etc for Olympus/Panasonic, then I'd probably have a slightly different view, but they appear to aim their products at Canon/Nikon predominantly, so all you get are manual flash units (I'm assuming that Canon/Nikon users get TTL flash control).

10. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Another vote for the Yongnou YN560III flashes. This flash has groups in it's menu and there is a controller that is coming for them that mounts on the camera and allows you to adjust them without having to drop light stands etc but still manual control only.

Depending on your situation sometime manual just works so much better. Light remains the same no matter your distance from the client with the camera and if the background now shows more black or more white.

Both ettl and manual have their benefits but you will have to tweak the light regardless of which you run.

11. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
  12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That's not an umbrella, it's a hat. :)

13. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    good discussion, and thanks to both you and Robbie.

As said by someone, TTL and manual (as well as Oly official flashes and cheaper, Yongnuo ones) both have their good and bad sides.

But it makes me wonder: how come Oly STILL has not come up with the option to wirelessly trigger and control their flashes from the camera (without this line of sight inconvinience)? Although FL600r is pretty good at detecting flash from the camera as an optical trigger, there are obvious line of sight limitations and to someone using 3-4-5 speedlights (not me, though, that's waaay out of my league) it is just not acceptable. The technology is there, and Oly boasts about PRO bodies and PRO lenses but they simply lack all the supporting operations/gear. I just don't see the reason for not having their own (preferably) wireless technology incorporated in the camera or a transmitter (which is, as you said, additional accessory) of some sort which could be plugged in the hotshoe (without the need to have additional receiver in the flash as nor Oly flashes not receivers are not cheap by any means).

Maybe i'm expecting a bit too much but i think this is also one of the problems with our system...

14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Possibly for the same reasons as Nikon etc, what they have works for the purposes it's designed. Firstly, different rules for different countries can make picking a frequency standard a nightmare (if even possible). Secondly, it would take up more space in the camera, even the smallest ones you can buy would require a major redesign of camera bodies. And thirdly, it would be another major drain on the camera batteries if it was something used regularly. That's why there are aftermarket options that just attach to your camera, as it allows for more flexibility and modifications.

15. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Thx for the reply, makes sense.

About the aftermarket options, are you talking about adapted triggers/receivers, such as yongnuo ones?

sent from my Xperia Z

16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Yes, the most popular, and considered the most reliable, flexible and with massive range being the Pocket Wizards.

• Like Like x 1
  17. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Its a good point about frequency standards - gaining permission to broadcast radio spectrum would delay the introduction of new camera models. In addition, a body like the EM1 tends to act as a Farraday cage making it difficult to use to broadcast signal especially the 50m+ needed for flashes. It only just sort of works for wifi.

Still I dont think it is too much to ask for Panny/Oly to build flashes with built in receivers. It is difficult to argue that it adds to the cost when they are marking the price of their flashes so much. Pocketwizrd is another company that seems to be living in the past (and they may become the past given that they sacked half their workforce in February.) The cheapest pocket wizard transceiver is US$100 and they attach to your flash via a sync chord which is particularly useless as the FL600r doesnt have a sync port (although you can add one.)

I seriously doubt there are many photographers apart from a few professionals who can justify 4 x FL50s and a set of pocket wizards with the alternatives around today. For the same price you can have 4 x 560iii, a transmitter and still have enough left over for a Pana Leica 42.5 1.2.

18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I totally agree. When I got my flash units, there were no decent aftermarket ones available and Olympus was the only option. I even have the Olympus power pack (FS-HV1) that powers one FL-50/FL-50R, which was essential for many night time events that I had to cover. Now you can't even buy replacement batteries for the power pack (that part sucks).

The only thing that I think we still need to be mindful of is the longer term reliability of these much cheaper units. There's a lot of good stuff coming out of China nowadays, but it's the quality of the internal components that hasn't been fully proven just yet. I've had so many disappointments with Chinese (eBay) electronics, that I'm somewhat wary of their durability and performance, but I guess someone has to be the guinea pig and try these out.

That said, the Olympus gear has worked flawlessly since I bought the first FL-50 and still does, so as long as I stay with Olympus, I've got equipment that is probably good for life.

19. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Amen! I felt the same way, but thanks to Ray for pointing out the frequency issue... What about a proprietary flash system that is wifi connected?

I'm one of those guys that uses a multiple speed light setup to cover events. I started with 580EXiis and pocket wizards, but upgraded to 3 600EXRTs when they dropped and it's just been the best lighting solution and really the only thing that's kept me from selling all my Canon gear this year... When I began the migration to Olympus I purchased several FL600r units hoping to mimic my Canon setup (at a third the size and price!) but quickly found the line of sight severely lacking, so here I am back to researching radio triggers, strobes, and speed lights.

I just bought a few Cactus V6s and a IC12 Led Light Cube and am hoping to develop a setup where the cube (or cubes) are set to manual and I can use the transmitters pass through TTL for the on camera flash... we'll see how it goes, but so far despite Cactus claims that they work with Olympus I'm not able to trigger the strobe by shutter release...

20. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    IMHO your best solution, really, is to use your 600EX-RTs and a Yongnuo YN-E3-RT (unfortunately, the ST-E3-RT doesn't work on the mft hotshoe for this). You'd have remote manual power control this way without a lot of extra gear, and even if you already have an ST-E3-RT for your Canon gear, at least you'd have a backup. But true, no on-camera unit with TTL passthrough this way.

And while it ain't eTTL, you could use the Canon's EXT.M (Auto External sensor; the old-styled autothyristor Auto) mode to automate power setting on remote flashes.

And going all the way back up to the top of this thread and the originating post, I should probably point out that B&H's Interfit Strobies (and Cheetah lights, and Neewer barebulbs) are actually rebranded Godox Wistros.