1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

MultiFilm : is it just me?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ulfric M Douglas, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Am I the only one using my G1 in Multifilm mode? : taking three photos with different Film Modes including one DynamicB&W.

If anyone else commonly uses this please speak up ... I'm feeling lonely in my use of the feature ... which seems removed from the new G3.

My choices ;
    1 Nature, extra saturation.
    2 B&W Dynamic
    3 Dynamic, less saturation.
    Global WB +2Amber +1Green.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    probably...

Shoot RAW myself so don't see point.

same with art filters......

far too many gimmics creeping into camera firmware for my liking (helps bulk up the advertising I suppose!)
    but then I am a crusty old sod at the best of times. :thumbup:

3. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

I don't use it either since I shoot raw but I often use B&W dynamic even if the end result ends up being colour afterall (the previews are B&W but as soon as you open it in ACR it's just standard colours). I wonder how many other people do that?

I find that it helps me with composition. Removes some distractions, since dull colours can be quite offputting while in reality you can do a lot to change the mood of a photo in post.

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    ...what are we talking about again?

5. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    M-U-L-T-I-F-I-L-M

6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    What Howi and Janine4d said - except for Howi's bit about being a sod. Well, I suppose it depends upon who you ask.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sod ... I'm not familiar with that art filter.

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm not as cool as all you RAW purists, but I still just shoot in standard JPEG and process later. I enjoy the processing part more than the capture part anyhow.

9. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I didn't know what that was on my gf1. I'll give it a try.:thumbup:

10. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Mu-43 Regular

I thought i was doing some thing wrong, I set standard, dynamic and vibrant , but when i took the picture , only standard was getting recorded , eventually i realised you have to press the shutter button for each colour mode as they are taken in sequence.

I cannot see why all three cannot be taken with once shutter press, it puts me off the feature :frown:

11. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    Set the mode dial to Burst. It will take all 3 w/ one button press.

btw: I voted "Seen it, don't use it". Prefer OOC jpegs + raw for backup.

12. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    So it actually takes 3 different pictures? As opposed to three different jpeg renderings of the one picture (which seems to make more sense to me)...?

13. After reading Ulfric's initial post I assumed that multifilm was to process three different jpegs from the one image, similar to the way the new E-P3 will allow you to record multiple art filters (or so I've read). Having to take three seperate images would put me off using it.

14. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    Yes, it takes 3 separate exposures. Just like typical burst mode. It's a choice - one press + release two or three times or one press + hold burst mode. Which is why I see little use for it. One can get the same results with the raw file.

15. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I'm getting a GF1 in some days. I'll give a look at this feature.

16. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Like others, I tend to shoot o naturale. I figure I can do any of the artsy stuff later, hard to get back to a regular shot from an artsy shot.

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    From a few posts which seem to completely misunderstand Multifilm I am beginning to see why Panasonic do not include it in the latest G3.

18. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I do with an Olympus EPL2 (but I think it could work with the Pana too).

19. Okay, so I'm now at home in bed with my GH1 (nothing kinky, mind) and it appears to work as described; press shutter to take image in first film mode, press again to take image in second film mode, once again for third mode, and then we're back to the beginning. Burst mode triggers the three film modes in a loop.

Unless there is a way to get it to apply the three film modes to a single image (so I get three versions of the one image) I don't think I want that.

Maybe you could describe why you like it since we obviously have no clue.

20. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The exposure can be different as the film mode changes, one shot with three processed images may not work.

Fred