1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Multi-aspect size sensor for µ4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RDM, Feb 12, 2013.

1. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

SO now since the GH3 was made with a standard 4/3 size sensor, it means no new µ4/3 cameras are being made with the true Multi-aspect sensor for µ4/3 cameras like the GH2 was.

Does anyone think it will return?
    I hope Olympus decides to make one.
    I would love to have a µ4/3 camera body with one again, and one made by Oly with in body Image stabilization would be very nice.
    Maybe something in the OMD line.

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I do not think that it will return soon. The cost of producing the multi aspect sensor are much higher then a regular sensor. The multi aspect has little use since 16m sensor is 4 times the resolution of the 4K new video standard.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Panasonic evidently didn't think the additional costs were justified by sales, so probably not. Too bad - that was one of the things I liked most with the GH2. I have an LX7 and love the multi-aspect sensor. I tend to prefer 3:2 for most horizontal shots, except for street shooting where I prefer 4:3 and often crop to a 1:1. And I prefer a 4:3 for portrait format shots, so a multi-aspect sensor with quick and easy controls like on the LX7 is just perfect for me.

-Ray

4. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    When I shoot with my GH3 in different aspect ratios the raw files come into Lightroom with the aspect ratio chosen. Is this not multi-aspect?

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    No. The sensor itself is a 4:3 sensor. What this means is that the sensor is getting cropped to the aspect ratio. The GH2 sensor was actually larger than the standard 4:3 sensor. In an oversized multi-aspect sensor, the angle of view is maintained regardless of the aspect chosen because the sensor is larger than the image circle.

A good visual:

GH2: Detailed Diagram of Multi-Aspect Sensor: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

When a 4:3 image is cropped, the angle of view changes if done so digitally.

6. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Oh wow, really!
    How much more than the regular sensor was it to produce?

7. It's hard to say how much more it costs to make, but on the basis that a larger chip is more expensive than a smaller chip there will be some additional expenses incurred. Taking the GH1 and GH2 examples; each camera has a ~14MP and an ~18MP sensor respectively, but the maximum resolution that they will record (at 4:3) is 12 and 16MP. That gives you an idea of proportionately how much bigger the two sensors were compared to the standard 4/3 size.

8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I would like to add to what Djarum sad by stating with your GH3 you also only get the full 16.1 megapixels in the 4:3 aspect, and megapixels are less when it is cropped in the other ratios, unlike on my GH2 where I get 16.1 megapixels in 4:3 , 3:2 and 16:9 aspects as well as the same angle of view for all three.

9. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    This is a real-estate and yield business. A piece of silicon has a diameter of about 20cm this give us roughly 300 cm^2 useful area. If the chip size is 1cm^2 then we can make 300 chips but if it is 2cm^2 then we can produce only 150. The yield of large chips is lower because the probability of defects in production go exponentially as the chip area grow.

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

LOL ... Obviously you have not heard about the sensors on the new Panasonic µ4/3 cameras, because then you would realize you were incorrect. The tiny, tiny, size difference is obviously negligible in cost.

11. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    It's probably more expensive than just buying in "stock" Sony sensors.

12. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Seems all the Pens & OMD sensors made by Sony, that all depends on Sony.

13. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Are you sure about that? My GH2 didn't give the same pixel count in different ratios. Just thesame angle of view.

Gordon

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    You'd be correct.

15. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes, you are correct.
    My previous comment was wrong. I know it gives the same angel of view not the exact same pixel count; closer to 16 than the coped sensor cameras would, but not the exact same count at all aspects....
    When I read again what I had written, I couldn't understand why I would have made such an error on something I know so well.
    Then I seen the time stamp..:
    February 13th, 2013, 03:15 AM ​
    ....lol serves me right for posting while barely conscious..

Except the Panasonic ones. They are once again using the larger sensor that they had in the GH2 but with out the true multi-aspect ability. It is now just a firmware thing. It has been reported that the reason for this is because the absence of the feature speeds up processing in the camera. I wish i had the choice because i would rather have the multi-aspect feature in a weather proof body than the faster processing.

16. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

It's interesting when we look back on an older thread and see all the comments, we can see us how little we know about the manufacturing process end of the electronics industry.
    Because if any of these previous statements were remotely true, Panasonic would not have used that Multi-aspect Size sensor in later cameras, just with the true multi-aspect capability not enabled.

However, at the time, when we did not know they were still using the GH2 sensors in later camera releases, the possibility of a slightly higher cost did seem like a logical assumption.

Well...
    It's been a year and I pretty much gave up hope on ever seeing a true multi-aspect sensor camera again, but this recent talk of a video camera with µ4/3 mount and a Super 16 size (aps-c type) sensor behind it, makes me think there is a chance. A chance that I might see a Still Picture µ4/3 camera with a large multi-aspect sensor again. Maybe even one with that super 16 size sensor, which would allow the 1:1 aspect to also maintain the same angel of view as the other aspects, unlike the past multi-aspect sensors.