1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Mu43 versus M43

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Mogul, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Can someone tell me if there is a specific dividing line between Mu43 and M43, and if so, what is it? Thank you.

2. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    There is no difference. There is M(u)43, meaning micro four thirds, and 43, meaning four thirds. The last category refers to the SLR line.

3. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Thank you. I assume then that all 4/3 cameras are the same and that "M" just means that the camera is mirror-less. Correct?

Also, where does the word "Micro" fit in? I'm not talking about macro, but about micro as it describes the type of camera.

Could it be said that any camera with a 4:3 aspect ratio and a 2X cropping factor is a Micro 4/3?

4. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    4/3 = four thirds

M43 or Mu43 = micro four thirds

M43 is mirrorless, but the 'm' stands for micro.

5. Gurin

Gurin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    Sweden

No, that is not correct. 4/3 and m4/3 share sensor size but have different mounts. You can mount 4/3 lenses on m4/3 hoses with an adapter, but you cannot mount m4/3 lenses on a 4/3 house.

6. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    "Mu" is the Greek Letter you see on on the logo top left. This one is the lowercase form, the uppercase is as in all Latin based languages. It's just a symbol for "micro".

7. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    You are welcome. In addition to the other responses, let me adress the last question. The micro 4/3 standard includes not only sensor size and aspect ratio, but also defines software correction of lenses and lens mount communication protocols. Therefore, the Canon G1X, while it has a 4:3 aspect ratio and a crop factor of about 2, is no micro 4/3 camera.

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Alphabet soup

Along with Mu43, M43 and m4/3 don't forget MFT. EVIL, etc ... man, who can keep track of all this mess?

9. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Don't forget "DSLM".

10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    4/3 and m4/3 use the same sensor size. 4/3 cameras have an optical finder and a mirror, just like any DSLR. 4/3 cameras use PDAF focusing just like a DSLR.

m4/3 cameras don't have a mirror box. Therefore the cameras and lenses can be made much smaller. m4/3 cameras use contrast detct focusing like compact cameras but now days that's just as fast as PDAF for stationary targets.

So the difference between 4/3 and micro 4/3 is that the removal of the mirror box has allowed a smaller camera and lens. As a result of the change in flange distance the lens mount is different. As a result of the lack of a mirror the focus system is different.

The other difference is that m4/3 is hugely sucessful and 4/3 is a dying system.

Gordon

11. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    But DSLM and EVIL are technically categorical names suggested as alternatives to mirrorless, whereas m4/3 is a specific mount within that category.

m4/3 is to 4/3 as Sony's E-mount (NEX) is to their A-mount (DSLR/DSLT). Both are meant for cameras with the same sensor size, but the former in each case is meant for a shorter (you asked "why micro?"; there's your answer) flange distance facilitated by removing the mirror, while the latter is meant for the longer flange distance necessitated by the mirror being between the mount and the sensor.

(Gordon beat me while I was typing.)