1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MU43 Post Processing Challenge # 63(72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by mnhoj, Dec 1, 2013.

1. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Hello everyone.

PPC #63 will officially start at 5 PM PST this evening December 1. Please feel free to post your entries at any time before then as well.
    The Challenge will conclude Wednesday, December 4 at 5PM PST(GMT-8).

Best of luck and have fun!

11153183896_5c02a2144c_b.

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/view/b89lax5n47xs4/mu43%20challenge%20%23%2063#">JPEG here</a>

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/download/2dmcgfttii5d0ag/P8190025.ORF">RAW here</a>

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread

2. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    • Like Like x 4
  3. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Very nice Ger.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    Nice picture!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  5. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    • Like Like x 3
  6. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 3
  7. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    i added clouds to give a little impact on the sky, the rest done in Lr

[​IMG]"640" height="483" alt="P8190025"></a>[/IMG]

converted to HDR BnW,.

[​IMG]"640" height="404" alt="P8190025-2"></a>[/IMG]

Dios Mabalos,

• Like Like x 4
  8. <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/78679094@N02/11168216815/" title="P8190025 by hdemey1, on Flickr"> 11168216815_a4db6ee777_b. "1024" height="576" alt="P8190025"></a>

Some cropping (16/9), improving colors and contrast...

• Like Like x 3
  9. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice shot.

Going for a dusk and dawn look in these images. Both processed in Aperture, first is a square crop and second a 16x9 but tighter on the horizon.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  10. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.

11169442494_56ec19b825_b.
    PP63-3 by jomerads, on Flickr

With the last challenge John, I liked your colored version especially the fiery red hay (better than your black and white version). Anyway, these last 2 challenges are rather hard. Not a lot of latitude.

Thanks,

John S.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
  12. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    This one gave me an extremely hard time... took longer than usual and did more than what I usually do. One of those photos where I really don't have a vision of what I want it to look like... Apparently, I forgot how to do landscapes like these... The last time I did, it was my HDR phase, and I just used HDR Efex Pro 2. Tried this with Lightroom only tweaking the dials.

Cropped to make the water, land, and sky 1/3 of the photo each. Went crazy and forgot which dials I moved, split toning, added grain and a little white vignette.

Might play around with this for a bit even after this challenge ends, and maybe revisit old photos. :tongue:

Thank you for this.

P81900251.

• Like Like x 4
  13. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    • Like Like x 6
  14. Another impression of this landscape...sepia coloring and fog.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/78679094@N02/11186581264/" title="P8190025Bis by hdemey1, on Flickr"> 11186581264_0476885c4c_b. "1024" height="576" alt="P8190025Bis"></a>

• Like Like x 3
  15. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    #2 Again a bit on the deep end

11186702904_11b16f3e25_b.
    PP63-4 by jomerads, on Flickr

Thanks,

John S.

• Like Like x 4
  16. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  17. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Great job everyone.

Challenge is now closed.
    I'll post the winners later tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you all for your participation.

18. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    And the winners...

Third place - phigmov - this is exactly how the scene felt that morning. Very cool. And pin drop quiet.

Second place - robbie36 - very nice addition of the angry sky. So nice it actually slightly overpowers the rest of the scene for me. A nice transformation.

Winner - Ger.mcg #2 - very well balanced with just the right amounts of everything.

Mentionables..

Ger #1 - it was a tough choice as I really liked this one too.
    jo45800 - nicely done. the sky looks great and a lot of detail and contrast.
    sLorenzi - very clean monotone. just a tad higher shadows for me.
    helimech - almost a winner. love the warm sky and calm "feel".
    franklim - I love the style but just thought it was a little out of place in this instance. Very well done.
    zeus1 - both were extremely well done and a tough choice not to choose as the winner.
    phigmov #1 - I like the tightness of the crop and the color but a little too much sky for me.
    jomerads - both are excellent as usual. I just felt more of preference towards natural color on this challenge. #2 is flat out beautiful.
    greenarcher - i struggled with this one as well. nice work overall and great idea with the split tone.
    GFFphoto - looks like a master oil painting. The tone curve is really pleasant. Well done.

Very nice work everyone.
    As I mentioned I really struggled with this one and was amazed with the groups output as a whole.
    Sorry for any inaccuracy or the shortness of the reviews but I'm almost late for work now and really rushing.
    I'll go back over it shortly and make corrections if needed.

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 8
  19. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    Thank you very much John, it was a great photo to work with.

I loved a lot of the other interpretations of the photo and so am very chuffed that you chose my effort. The development choices I made in #2 were certainly influenced by some of the other entries and being very new to Lightroom and post processing it's been a great learning experience.

Having only recently got the G5 and rekindled my interest in photography I've only got a month or so's worth of photos to choose one for the next contest but I'll try and find one that would make an interesting challenge and post it on Saturday.

• Like Like x 1
  20. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Congrats again ger! You really are great. This was difficult and it really shows how talented people are in here. So giddy. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2