1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

mu43 gear, durable.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by noelh, May 25, 2013.

1. It was just one of those days. Normally I bag the lens not mounted on the bodies. But today in haste to switch over to the 100-300mm I placed the 14-45mm after capping on the library table. While viewing through the G2 evf I hear a clunk. Found out that my library desk is not to level. The 14-45mm rolled off the table dropping about 30" onto a carpeted floor. End result was no damage. Lens works as it should.

I don't baby my gear. Very light drizzle, foggy/misty air, smell the salt air from the spray, freezing cold to desert hot the gear gets used. The GF-1 has experienced couple Sinai sandstorms, hit by heavy snow dropping off tree branches. The G2 while mounted on a tripod sort of hit the ground. Brushy vegetation provided impact protection.

None of this gear is advertised as "weather-resistant" or "shock-resistant". So either I've been real fortunate and the gear is tougher than expected.
    Hopefully I just didn't jinx myself.

2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    +1. Knock on wood..Maybe I have just been lucky getting through some rough environments around the world with only some dings to show for it. I doubt oly or panny try that hard to make durable cameras, I think most cameras are probably innately tougher than people think.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

3. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    I treat my cameras to some hostile envoiroments, but last year was up a Scottish Munro (mountain in Scotland over 3000 feet) in apalling weather and put the camera away in my pack pack, with everything being damp, it affected the lcd screen of my GX1, it misted up around the edges.
    Luckily panasonic replaced it under warranty
    [​IMG]

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I think due to the electronic nature and size of m4/3, it is a little more delicate than a DSLR. Don't even compare to pro grade DSLRs those things are built like tanks.

Speaking of the G2, I've been shooting mine for two and a half years. A few times in rain and snow, even dropped it a few times. Still works fine. I wouldn't recommend doing this but I guess I've been lucky. Do this at your own risk.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/8485815777/" title="Braving the elements by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr"> 8485815777_af9b28060c_c. "800" height="534" alt="Braving the elements"></a>

5. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    +1 as well.

I dropped my camera bag (LowePro) with the Pana 45-200 in the side pocket. It plunged down with the side pocket first from around waist height. The 45-200 took the main hit and the lens cap made a scratch on the plastic around the front lens.

First I thought that the lens is toast (decentralized, etc.) but: nothing. Still works like a charm (well, as far as the 45-200 goes).

Here is a picture of the scratch:

[​IMG]

6. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I can tell the story about when I dropped my GF-1 with the 20mm on it from about armpit height onto concrete. It bounced twice and ended up on it's back. I was sure it was busted, but except for a barely visible mark on one of the back corners, there was no visible damage, and it still functions fine. I don't use it much now, but I've kind of been unwilling to sell it.

7. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    Here is a crazy test of a Nikon D3S (in French). It resists heavy rain, cold (48 hours at -20°C / -4 °F followed by drying during 5 days) and even fire:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBB-CvqjdCE]Test photo - Le crash test du Nikon D3s - YouTube[/ame]