1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

mu43 cross brand lens functionality?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jimevidon, Jul 5, 2011.

1. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    While I know that the micro 4/3 lens mount is universal to all 4/3's cameras, are the lens functions also universal? By this I am asking if the auto focus and auto exposure functions for, say the Lumix lenses are functional when mounted on an Oly E Pen and vis a versa?:confused:

2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Yes they are. Any of the µ43 lenses will work on any µ43 body with full auto function...

That is the question, yes? Or are you asking about 4/3'rds??? Which is NOT µ43.

Cheers, Alan

3. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Alan,
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I was talking about micro 4/3's, and you have answered my question. I love my GF 1, but love is a fickle thing and if, someday, I wish to get a different brand body such as a Pen or, hopefully a Leica, should they ever decide to enter the fray, I'd like to be able to use my excellent Lumix lenses.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Even if asking about Four-Thirds lenses, they also have all the same compatibility except for C-AF. S-AF, metering, etc. are the same, although some lenses are better optimized for PDAF than CDAF.

And although Four-Thirds lenses are compatible with Micro Four-Thirds bodies, Micro Four-Thirds lenses are not compatible with Four-Thirds bodies.

5. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Ned,
    Now I am confused. O.K.. I'm talking about micro 4/3's. Is there cross brand functionality with respect to AF, metering and AE functions?

Or, are some functions non-operable? In other words, do I have full functionality when, for instance, using Panasonic micro 4/3's lenses on an Oly micro 4/3's body? Alan seemed to think that I would.

Alan, feel free to comment as well as anyone else who wishes to comment.

6. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    The answer to your question remains, an unequivocal yes.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, what Alan said. :) Sorry for confusing you further, but I'm just pointing out that you have full cross-compatibility with Micro Four-Thirds lenses and bodies, but also have nearly full cross-compatibility with Four-Thirds lenses on those same Micro Four-Thirds bodies. They're both open standards with loads of options to choose from.

8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    If I were the King.

4/3rds would never be mentioned again. I know it makes the 4/3rds users angry, but they should be directing their anger at Olympus...

Everyone who purchased a 4/3 camera would be eligible for a swap in on an µ43 with a free lunch certificate from Olympus for good measure.

New buyers wouldn't have to spend a week figuring out the difference between the two platforms.

If I were King.

There is a tremendous amount of confusion regards to µ43 / 4/3rds.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    And why are you bashing Olympus?

10. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I'm not bashing Oly.

I find their obsequious stance on the 4/3rds format detrimental to the company and the end users.

It's like the Red Sox, I love them, and I love to be mad at them... Maybe only a sports fan can understand.

They're yours, you follow them, root for them to do well.. and get as aggravated as all get out when you think they're screwing up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Just my 2 (euro) cents

There is a very slight difference between Panasonic and Olympus regarding lenses handling. Panasonic will correct chromatic aberrations in camera with Panasonic lenses - they would with olympus' too if Olympus had taken care to provide CA figures for theirs lenses in the firmware, but they haven't. When mounted on an Olympus body, a Panasonic lens won't be CA corrected either, even if the firmware do have the requested parameters written in.

That's the only functional difference I'm aware of.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  12. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Hi Mauve,

Is there any way to correct this in post processing ?
    I'm using LR.. and I see that you are using Digikam ? :biggrin:

13. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Because they are bashable? Just kidding. Olympus makes great cameras.
    Thanks to all of for clearing up my confusion, or to put it more accurately,
    my concerns. I wasn't aware that micro 4/3's was an open source.

Cheers,

14. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I don't know LR, but for magically correcting optical aberrations, anything based on PTLens or Hugin will certainly be most effective. Just another step in the workflow.

Cheers,

15. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I wouldn't say they are completely cross functional.

In particular is the image stabilization differences. Panasonic does its stabilization in the lens, whereas Olympus does the IS in the camera body.

This is something to consider when buying a telephoto zoom. The Olympus lenses on the Lumix bodies will not have any IS at all.

On the upside, any lens put on an Olympus body with have IS, even legacy fully manual lenses used via an adapter will benefit from the in-camera IS.

What I am not sure of, and maybe someone here can answer, is what happens when you use a Panasonic IS lens on an Olympus IS body? My assumption is the IS in the lens is not active when the lens is mounted on a non-Lumix body.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks,

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You should turn off one or the other, either the OIS or IBIS, as they will work against each other and make your image worse. OIS, although less economical, is a little nicer to use since it stabilizes your view when composing the image rather than only stabilizing at the point of shutter release. However, if none of your other lenses are IS then it may be simpler to leave the OIS off and just keep IBIS on for everything.