1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

mu43 advertising

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by caimi, Jun 23, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I went to a movie last night and, while sitting through 10 minutes of commercials (another soapbox for another day) I saw an ad for a new Samsung camera and a new world's smallest and lightest Canon dslr camera. I thought: Why aren't olympus and Panasonic advertising like this? Movie audiences are generally younger with disposable income. Where is mu 43?

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I have long wondered this. We see almost no Olympus and Panasonic camera ads in the United States.

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    We're just too cool for that.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    RARELY have I seen Olympus commercials on the tele & the few times that I have, they've always been at the wee hours of the morning.

5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah... honestly I had no idea Panasonic even made high end cameras until I started looking into MFT gear. Until then I thought they just had camcorders and rebadged generic P&S.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't watch TV. I have the interwebs. ;)

7. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Here in Japan, they are all over the train... specially Panasonic when they launched the new GF6 and I keep seeing Olympus commercials on youtube too.

It seems like both of them are quite active here, they have lot's of big posters and good exposures at big electronic stores.

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think Canon and Nikon have a monopoly in the US.

9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    same thing in NZ, almost every store carry pana and olympus, but they never or hardly advertise anything related to m43. BUT, on saturday while shooting in downtown auckland, went into one photo store (one that i never buy from as i believe they are expensive) and noticed a big Panasonic poster about Mirrorless imaging and micro four thirds. The poster explained how m43 worked and all about the G and GH cameras. (yes they had the GF6 in store, actually quite nice design!) but what really caught my eye was that under the poster their was a book, something in between A3 (11x17) and A2 (23.4 x 16.5 in) with high quality prints all done with panasonic lenses and cameras. STUNNING quality. i actually saw it and was like... wow this is pretty impressive!

in fact i did my contribution of the day, behind me, there was a girl with mom and dad buying a "pro canon 60 or 650D dslr" and they were talking about how pro this and that, the salesmen was talking about AF speed, she didnt get anything. Then I jumped in the conversation saying, "i know this is not of my business but have you seen the images in that book? (pointing the pana poster). they said yes and the girl said, "oh yeah amazing images that why im buying this canon camera". The salesmen gave me the "look" and i said, well you'll be impressed that this shots were done with that little camera (pointing to the panasonic window where m43 was on display). she was like "ohhh really?, but i thought it was a point and shoot amateur camera", i said, no!, and carried on explaining. long story short, she grabbed a GF6 for less money and 1/3 the size of the canon 650D + 55-200 zoom she was planning to buy. Salesmen was not happy with me. but their store manager loved m43 as well. so it was a cool moment i wanted to share. ha!.

back again onto the pana book. if i showed you guys the book without saying with what camera where those image shot, you would hardly say anything less than a nikon d800 or canon 1ds mark two thousand. clean, nice boked, great colours, beautiful!. and from all lenses not just the premium ones, everything from the P14 up to the 35-100 and everything in between.

10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    What is the book? Does it have a name?

11. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I had a similar experience, except it was me who was stunned :biggrin:

When I went to a big Photography expo last February I was interested in looking at the latest and greatest DSLR offerings... but Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Olympus had big displays in that even. Ended up staring blankly at these tiny cameras and their big prints. After that event, I can't sleep and started reading about m4/3... ended up ditching my dslr.

Although I was initially interested in Panasonic, I ended up settling with Oly due to the size and retro look.

here, small size camera with big beautiful print outputs...These photos were taken by the exact cameras that are on display here as far as I know.
    p1412135966-4.

p1412136084-5.

sorry about the quality of the photo, took this with my phone :redface:

12. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    well what i saw , was something like that but way smaller! not as big as those prints!. but still. good on Panasonic. sad not to see Olympus do something similar where i live.

13. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Before Olympus closed down their Ukrainian office, they were one of only two camera companies doing sweeping ad campaigns there (the other one being Nikon).

As for Panasonic, they have just paid for a series of 'advertorials' promoting their Micro 4/3 cameras on the website I co-own (once again, in Ukraine). So I guess they're a bit more active in Europe than in the US.

14. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Did you miss my question?

15. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    oh sh1t man!. sorry didnt saw this!. there was no name on the book, was more like a big catalog. the book was split in 3 areas, featured photographs then a section with all photos done by each lens in the Panasonic catalog and then Cameras with a whole section of photos done with every Panasonic camera in the mirrorless system. no compacts. i might go to the store this weekend maybe and take a photo of the little corner-stand!

and sorry once again for missing your question!. :frown:

16. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I understand that Olympus also produced a hardback book of images taken with the OMD but apart from it being seen at certain Olympus launch events, I have seen nothing more about it.

I would love to get my hands on one of these books and see more advertising for Mu43 in the UK - still very much a "silent partner" to the other formats!