1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MU-43 Post Processing Challenge #97

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Zeus1, May 12, 2014.

1. Usual bla-bla (read at Your own risk, beware of boredom):

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread

Contest will end Friday May 16th at 12AM GMT

The picture represents Valletta and Grand Harbour on the isle of Malta, taken the beginning of April at sundown. Feel free to play with this scene and re-invent it.

RAW format: https://db.tt/C0VNNedM

JPG: https://db.tt/RYPHkscw

• Like Like x 3
  2. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I used mostly Studio Artist 4 Adjustments then finished in PS Topaz and Kubota Actions.
    14173745252_ee30bd8ef6_b. Golden by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  3. csnite

csnite Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Florida
    Here is my effort. Lightroom and Photoshop. I liked the lines and tried to accentuate them. Thanks for the image to mess around with.

Sunset_Malta.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Little bit curves in Apple Aperture to add drama to silhouette. And cropping.

P4083944.

• Like Like x 3
  6. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 2
  7. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    Done in Lr, Topaz Restyle..

[​IMG]"1024" height="723" alt="untitled-4083944-2"></a>[/IMG]

[​IMG]"1024" height="730" alt="untitled-3-3"></a>[/IMG]

Thank you.

• Like Like x 4
  8. OK, perhaps this is not the easiest picture for creative interpretation, just give it a try. A bit more than 24 hrs left to enter Your submission.

9. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    • Like Like x 3
  10. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Pretty straight takes on the original - I'm amazed at the detail you guys are pulling out of the files. Some great stuff (franklim - love your work!).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  11. nang3

nang3 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2013
    heres my attempt using LR, only used it a couple of times so far but find it a lot more intuitive and faster than PSP X5 which I had been using previously !

Mu43%20(1%20of%201).

• Like Like x 5
  12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    ...squeakin in. Camera RAW, presharpen and color temps to get pic close to what I wanted. Recolored the sky with Paint brush and sampling various colors, High pass/vivid light selective sharpen, Dodge tool, burn tool, sponge tool. Never really messed with them all that much, but I learned a better way to use them and they are quite handy now. Maybe not as easy as other D&B methods but quick and easy for sure.

14196671162_119e22d436_c. mu43-97final by slimmerjim, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  13. Time to close this competition. Perhaps not the easiest picture to process...

This is my interpretation of it:

Now, for my very subjective results:
    - third place goes to ger.mcg
    - second is phigmov with his B/W redering
    - First place is for franklim with his second entry which is very similar to my picture.

TXS everybody and on to the next one!

• Like Like x 4
  14. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    Congrats to all..
    Thank you Sir Zeus1,, will post for the next Challenge as soon as i got home..

Thank you.