1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #82 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by phigmov, Mar 10, 2014.

1. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    G'day all,

PPC #82 will officially start at 9PM this evening Monday March 10th (NZ time / +13GMT). Please feel free to post your entries at any time before then as well.
    The Challenge will conclude Wednesday, February 13th at 9PM (NZ time / +13GMT).

A pretty grainy circus shot in a smoky gas-lit tent. The old guy has a face full of character :smile:

P3099747.

JPEG is here
    RAW is here

Google Drives image preview appears borked, but rest assured the little downward pointing arrow thingy will download the right files. Let me know if there are any issues with downloading the files.

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread

• Like Like x 1
  2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I like this image a lot - should be fun.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok here is my color version,,,,

pp83-2.

...and here is my black and white....

pp83-1.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    First attempt:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    • Like Like x 4
  6. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Here we go:

P3099747-2-small.

P3099747-4b.

First I cleaned the image with raw therapee: exposure, noise reduction, contrast by lod (with finest=0), wb, vibrance.

In the first, with Gimp, I duplicated the base layer, desaturated the the new one, color to alpha to remove the black background and set to grain merge with 50% opacity. Then cleaned the black area and applied a few separated "despeckle" for the body, head, etc. Curves, sharpened the eye.

In the second there are two layers, one blurred (with shifted colors), and one B&W over the base one. Each one has a layer mask where I "deleted" (paintbrush with very low opacity) different parts exposing the layers below.

• Like Like x 3
  8. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    • Like Like x 2
  9. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    [SUB][/SUB] Cyanotype Oil Painting
    [​IMG]"600" height="800" alt="untitled-3099747"></a>[/IMG]

Thank you.

• Like Like x 4
  10. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Old Photo

My DNG converter and PS, not speaking. So, from the JPEG.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    Here's mine

2crrdpd.

• Like Like x 4
  13. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Stealing robbie36's vertical orientation take.

One
    ppc82_1.

Two
    ppc82_2.

• Like Like x 3
  14. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Lovely renditions so far. 12(ish) more hours to go.

Get stuck in and join the fun.

15. D4rK89

D4rK89 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Poland
    Mateusz
    Hard to pp capture. My vision below:
    [1]
    P3099747-2.
    [2]
    P3099747.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    2nd attempt: being restricted to JPEG's on my iPad Mini is quite difficult, especially with this image. I just enjoy participating, however, and seeing everyone else's submissions.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  17. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.

13092856785_29c849ef03_b.
    Circus Man-2 by jomerads, on Flickr

Saturday Evening Post Like or Trying to be Like that anyway. :smile:

Thanks again Phigmov,

John S

• Like Like x 1
  18. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    OK submissions closed. Really enjoyed seeing people work with this pic. I'll get the results out in the morning.

• Like Like x 1
  19. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Great pp everyone - the artistic spin on these to compensate for the noise was well done.

Robbie36/Rob - Nice crop and both the color and b&w image managed to emphasize the guys mad-genius look

Scotsman/Dave - Again, a nice tight crop and the processing makes the image look ilke a still from an old film. Your second take is great - with the frame it almost looks like he's leaning out a car window!

Orfea - You really nailed the oil painting look in both pics, either that or a hand colored daguerreotype from the 1800's. Your second one almost has motion-blur/streaking that makes it seem as though the chair is in motion.

Klerenzo - The first image is great, the intense colors (particularly the red & gold) merging into the black background is awesome

Jo45800 - This is a great combination of grain, vignette and vintage color - it could be a plate in an old book of fairy tales

Franklim - A unique look - I almost wonder if you could take it to even more of an extreme in the way the edges start to break up and fall away ?

Snkenai - Probably the smoothest b&w take on the original so far, I like the play of light and shade across the face

Jomerads/John - I liked that you kept the framing the same so that you could see what was on the other end of the mad stare - the subtle coloration is a nice compromise between color and b&w. Your second image was nifty - a few of the submissions reminded me of some of the splash screens on a Commodore 64 or Amiga - the grain coming through as low-res pixelisation (Franklims is very similar too but with a different color palette).

Ger.mcg/Ger - Love the vibrant color and I'm always a sucker for square framing

Ex machine - The flip is cool - it looks like a World War I image of the Kaiser. The second take with the color and grain make it look like the old guy is staring out of an old 1970's TV set.

D4rk89/Mateusz - both images are nicely done - the extra space you've allowed in the crop helps to offset the intensity of the central character. Of the two, I prefer the b&w image.

OK, now to my picks for the podium - this was tough as there are a bunch that deserve a placing

Bronze goes to Scotsman - once I had the image of this guy leaning out of a car window I couldn't help but laugh

[​IMG]

Silver is going to have to be a three way tie between Robbie36, Orfeo and Ger.mcg - these were all great

pp83-2.

2crrdpd.

Gold goes to Mateusz - it was very close between Silver & Gold but the b&w take with the negative-black-space framing the central character was pretty cool

P3099747.

These were all vastly improved renditions of my own image - I appreciate the time and effort put in by the challenge participants.

Looking forward to #83 Mateusz :smile:

• Like Like x 5
  20. D4rK89

D4rK89 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Poland
    Mateusz
    Thanks a lot ill post something later :)
    Just need to find something.

• Like Like x 1