Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #8

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/8419136175/" title="20120818-Untitled_HDR2-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr"> View attachment 253994 "640" height="480" alt="20120818-Untitled_HDR2-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg"></a>

Alright went back in for a B+W image, and of course more...
CS6 new exsposure layer for sky, curve layer for mountains down to lay the ground work for the BW, got rid of the hot spot in the sky. It was annoying me, because the light appears to be coming from camera right, and I wanted that consistant. Conversion in silverfx, increased red senstivity, lowered the blue, light coffee tone, and lowered it more.

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
2nd attempt

For my second attempt I chose to process just a single frame and actually felt it was better to get an end result.

PP78-2_1_of_1_.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Sorry for the delay, I forgot all about this (knew I should have put it in my calendar)!

This challenge is now CLOSED and I will go through the images after dinner and select the winner. Thanks everyone who participated!

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Man this was a tough call, glad I took a break for dinner before making a final decision! Ok, here we go:

Honorable Mention: EasyEd for his unique take, which I felt deserved a mention. This one I liked how it made the landscape look like something from the Mars rover. Cool concept!

13864d1359260193-mu-43-post-processing-challenge-8-mu438a.jpg

Runner-Up: kevininparis - this one I really liked the detail and contrast brought out by the processing, and the scene was fairly subdued colors despite the sunset so B&W was a good choice. Overall I just really liked the simple processing here. I must say it was a tight decision between this and the winning selection.

P10104441.jpg

Winner: Just Jim, for his B&W version - it was actually an even split between the B&W and color versions from Jim (voted by my wife and I). I figured since either way it's the same winner I'd go with my preference :biggrin:

Here, I liked the contrasty look but most importantly, it emphasizes the band of fading sunlight cascading across the mountains which is what was so arresting about the scene in person. Note: I couldn't embed it larger since embedding is disabled, but I recommend checking this one out on Flickr in the lightbox for the best viewing.

Congrats Jim, looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the next one!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/8419136175/" title="20120818-Untitled_HDR2-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr"> View attachment 254418 "640" height="480" alt="20120818-Untitled_HDR2-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg"></a>

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Hopefully, by the end of the day I can get up the next contest... Sorry for the embedding part. BTW, what do I do with the image? I kind of feel weird having some one elses image.

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Hopefully, by the end of the day I can get up the next contest... Sorry for the embedding part. BTW, what do I do with the image? I kind of feel weird having some one elses image.

I hope you dont feel too weird about it.

You are afterall about to give us one of your images which we will glorify in infinite ways!

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
I just keep mine in a PP Challenge set on Flickr, appropriately labeled as part of the challenge and whose image it was originally. That way the links don't break in the thread and they're set aside from my other images.

savvy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Les
Congrats to all the winners, nice one Jim, well deserved.

BTW, I also keep all my challenge images in a separate set on Flickr to keep them away from my own images, and so I don't delete them and break the links from the threads.

juangrande

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My first ever attempt at an HDR image.

HDR Efex Pro 2. CS6.

PP78_1_of_1_.jpg

Is that Color Efex 2. Ooooo, I'll have that soon! Love it. I have lots of shots like this but none that look like this.

Latest threads

Top Bottom