1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #8

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by jloden, Jan 24, 2013.

1. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Ok, here's my challenge for the 8th 72hr Post Processing Challenge! I thought I'd do something a little different, so I've selected a set of 5 HDR bracketed images for this one.

This is a set of 5 images taken from the Denali Lodge overlook just outside Denali National Park, just as the sun was setting across the mountain range. I've used other sets of HDR images taken from the same session, but not this exact set. For those interested, IIRC these 5 are taken with the GX1 + 14-140mm, balanced on a fence post for stability, with 1 stop exposure bracketed images.

You are free to do whatever you like for PP - use all or some of the 5 images in HDR processing, single frames with standard RAW processing, or whatever else suits your fancy. Good luck!

As a starting point is the reference image, using the Balanced preset from HDR Efex Pro 2, all at default settings.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30940068@N02/8413301076/" title="PP Challenge #8 (jloden) - HDR by jloden, on Flickr"> 8413301076_a63178b45b_c. "800" height="600" alt="PP Challenge #8 (jloden) - HDR"></a>

Download Links:
    RAW (zip)
    JPG (zip)

I'll give a little bit of extra time on this one since I couldn't get it posted until late. Winner will be announced Mon, Jan 28 at noon EST.

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge Rules
    The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge. Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry)

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

• Like Like x 3
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Awesome image! Will definitely give this a shot!

• Like Like x 1
  3. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Great stuff! Ill try and get in on this over the weekend. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    My first ever attempt at an HDR image.

HDR Efex Pro 2. CS6.

PP78_1_of_1_.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/8413760549/" title="20120818-Untitled_HDR2-Edit-Edit.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr">"640" height="360" alt="20120818-Untitled_HDR2-Edit-Edit.jpg"></a>
    CS6 merge to HDR pro
    About 40 Viveza adjustments.
    Color FX, Darken lighten center to add a bit of dimension
    Bicolor filter cool to warm low opacity
    Colorize filter to color in some spots.

• Like Like x 3
  6. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    P1010442_HDR.

P1010442_HDR_1.

Both HDR Color Efex 2 + control points and slight adjustments in LR4.

• Like Like x 2
  7. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    I only tried 1 HDR before, and didn't like it, so I clearly don't know what I'm doing :biggrin:

Here's a dark, moody, effort with the golden light as the point of interest, and a very artificial attempt to have some light on one of the clouds.

8414844020_b8d5cd0f6e_b.

MU-43_PP#8-1-2
    by savvy249, on Flickr

Imported the RAW files into LR4
    Exported them into Nik HDR Efex Pro 2
    Started off with "Dark" preset
    Tonal compression up to 51%
    Method Strength to 31%
    Depth to Subtle
    Drama to Natural
    Saturation to 51% to bring out the golden light
    Temperature to 6%
    Graduated Neutral Density : Upper Tonality -1 Stop, Blend 51%, Vertical shift -1%
    Slight adjustment to the curves levels

Back into LR4
    Crop for a wide landscape look
    Clarity : +20
    Adjustment brush on the cloud to whiten it : Exposure +2.99, Contrast +3, Highlights +100
    Luminance & Colour NR : both +60, Detail 50 (Seemed to be quite noisy after all the above edits)

Export to JPEG with LRMogrify2 plugin with Basic sharpening for Screen.

I'm not around until Tues or Wed, so will miss the judging results - good luck to all !! :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

HDR is not needed. Photo 444 fits perfectly in the dynamic range of the GX1, except that the orange highlights are outside the sRGB gamut. HDR is not going to fix that, it will most likely result in color burn.

So I converted the photo in ACR to Prophoto RGB using my own GX1 color profile, with the following global adjustments: Temperature 5700 K, exposure -0.65, contrast +11, whites +46, blacks -18, clarity +18; zero sharpening and NR on 50 (1600 ISO). On top of that some additional clarity and saturation in the foreground to bring out the blues and the greens, and some burning in the sky.

In Photoshop I healed some distractions in the foreground, converted to sRGB with perceptual intent (and losing some saturation in the highlights, but no color burn), scaling and smart sharpening.

P1010444.

• Like Like x 2
  9. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Wow, I really struggled with this one. Its a fantastic scene, but did not lend itself well to my monitor configuration. I tried HDR but wasn't happy with any of the results, so then I opted for exposure 443 and painted on light effects in CS5. The photo looks quite different viewing it in Windows to how it does in a web browser, so this isn't quite how it looked to me before I uploaded it, and of course, could look totally different again due to your monitor calibration.

P1010443-2.

• Like Like x 6
  10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    This is a great image to begin with, which doesn't really require much PP. So, it turned out much more difficult than I anticipated when trying to improve upon the image with too much PP. Anyway, here's my entry:

P1010446_HDR-1.

• I used HDR only to reduce the noise in the photo. As someone else pointed out, the image is actually well within the DR of the camera.
    • Temperature by +13
    • Clarity +50
    • Vibrance +15
    • Black +8
    • Saturation +5 (but reduced saturation for specific colors, like magenta, purple, blue and aqua)
    • Burn the sky by -0.40 EV
    • Stretched the tonal curve quite a bit
    • Finally added a little vignette

• Like Like x 3
  11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    just used a single image, processed in Aperture. cropped to a 3x2

various dodging, burning and contrast brushing, some curves and definition

white border border added with free BorderFX plug in ( you will probably have to drag image to desktop to see this

P10104441.

K

• Like Like x 3
  12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Good stuff everyone... keep 'em coming! :2thumbs:

13. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    In LR4 I have cropped the picture to 16:9 and putting the sun top at 2/3 of pic.
    Changed
    Exposure by -0.5
    Blacks -64
    whites 5
    All these to remove the white cast.
    In NIK Color EFFEX i used the following filters:
    Pro contrast
    Dark contrast
    Glamour glow
    Graduate ND rotate 180 degrees.

P1010444-Edit.

• Like Like x 4
  14. clockwise

clockwise Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    New York, NY
    Brian R
    This is my first time with an HDR image. I used CS5's Merge to HDR Pro to get my TIFF file, then opened in ACR6 and made some curves adjustments and a ton of dodging and burning. PixelGenius PhotoKit Sharpener for capture and output sharpening and increasing midtone contrast.

Denali2.

• Like Like x 2
  15. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    being out west and all, it reminded me of old john ford b&w westerns. i tried to go for that kind of look with this image. i used image 442, b&w, cropped to a more widescreen ar, tweaked the curve and some other adjustments. a little bit of split toning for some warmth, almost sepia-tone, in the highlights and a bit of a green tint in the shadows. for some reason i remember watching them and there was a slight green cast to everything; it very well could have been the projectors at school and/or the copies we were watching (some were laserdisc i think).

P1010442_zps959a0706.

• Like Like x 2
  16. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    IMHO this is a very nice job. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  17. EasyEd

EasyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey All,

I went ahead and created a couple options.

The first was an exercise in gray-scaling adding color back in via a fusion of layers based on color selection followed by an HDR tone map and noise reduction followed by small, colour, curves, gamma and contrast adjustments and resizing, sharpening and a small border.

I really enjoyed working the first image as I immediately liked it greyscale but thought how good it might be adding the light back in in colour. Adding in the dark green tree stands was quite accidental as I must have inadvertently included that colour but when I saw it I liked how it complimented the other colour. The biggest problem with this image - other than figuring out how to do what I did - was trying to decide on an appropriate crop. The foreground is a bit busy with the harvest block included but I liked the texture in the foreground trees enough to live with it.

The second image was a crop followed by a light sepia and then adding colour back in (boosting red and yellow I think) plus - if I recall correctly some exposure adjustment, vibrancy, curves and contrast adjustments and resizing, sharpening and a small border.

As the second image began to take shape I right away realized that there is some old southwest in Alaska! I right away got this image idea in my head of "Canyonlands" a Howard Hawks western starring John Wayne, Barbara Stanwyck and Yul Brynner. I could see the yellow writing crossing the screen with this image as the backdrop... Gosh that woulda been a good movie!

Anyway exactly what I did doesn't really matter as I only use a $43 program that few others use.

Be sure to click the pics for a bigger display!

-Ed-

An edit - Baxting it struck you the same way it did me!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  18. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Just used one image

Cropped it long because it reminds me of one of those nice landscape images. Cooled down the clouds because the storm is coming! Slight softening of the BG mountains becasue I was in a dreamy mood.

P1010442-color by BAXTING, on Flickr

Almost the same here, but Sepia preset and then some darkening of the clouds and some more softening. Feels Mystical.

P1010442-sepia by BAXTING, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  19. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Here are my entries. First is one image, levels modified in camera raw, separate gradient overlaid to give warm tone.

Second is a 3 image HDR, converted to monochrome.

PP_8_1_staticantics. PP_8_staticantics.

• Like Like x 1
  20. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I looked at this contest today and loved the challenge. The noise level of the images created a bit of a challenge in and of itself. Here are my two "takes" on this dramatic scene.

[​IMG]

I liked the original composition with two thirds of the scene dedicated to the landscape and the sense of distance being compressed by the telephoto lens. Since there was a manageable bit of color noise, I sent each image through Nik Define 2 before bringing them into Nik HDR Efex Pro 2. I have a custom preset I created for scenes such as this and then tweaked the luminosity curve before saving. Next step was to bring into photoFXlabs and use Topaz Labs' Detail 3 to deblur, then sharpen shadows and light areas separately.

[​IMG]

Not for the second take, continue from the first by masking the sky in Remask 3 and invert, bring it into a new layer for Detail 3 and apply smoothing to simulate a night take with longer exposure that would reflect movement in the clouds. Create a new layer and open in BW Effects, and using quad toning, create a moonlit scene. Import a photo of a full moon already enshrouded in clouds so it's simple to blend the layers. Voila, a night scene with the iridescent moonlight reflecting off the mountain.

• Like Like x 2