1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #79 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by phigmov, Feb 24, 2014.

1. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    G'day all,

PPC #79 will officially start at 9PM this evening February 24 (NZ time / +13GMT). Please feel free to post your entries at any time before then as well.
    The Challenge will conclude Thursday, February 27nd at 8PM (NZ time / +13GMT).

I had so many images that could use some PP care & attention from the talented forum members I'm tempted to start a separate "Fix my pictures" thread.

I picked this one as it had a nice juxtaposition of man-made & landscape - its Wanaka air-port in New Zealands South Island (here on Google Maps).

P2147091.

I hope people enjoy working with it.

RAW is here - just click the download link in the top left of the web-page when it loads in Picasa
    JPEG is here

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread

2. D4rK89

D4rK89 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Poland
    Mateusz
    This shot is great even without PP so i did something different
    P2147091small.

• Like Like x 6
  3. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Somehow, when I saw such a beautiful day, and the aircraft was tied down, it seemed a little sad. So I tried to re-imagine the moment from the plane's POV.

Born_to_Fly.

Tech Note: When I tried to download the raw file, all I was able to get was a jpeg. This is in Windoze; tried both FF and IE.

• Like Like x 4
  4. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    yes it's jpeg, extra kudos for processing as you can't really do anything...

5. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    • Like Like x 4
  6. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    both links seems to be jpeg or is it me?

7. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Sorry about the hassle guys. Looks like Picasa turned the ORF into a JPEG but retained the name (and I didn't notice the extension changed when I tested the link. Sigh).

I've updated the RAW link to Google Drive - it should definitely allow downloading the ORF file when you click the arrow pointing down.

Link here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1x5BrTWULGgdU1uV250dklPMFU/edit?usp=sharing

8. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.

12778511873_4340182a87_b.
    plane-1 by jomerads, on Flickr

There are a lot of possibilities one can choose even with just JPEG.

Thanks,

John S.

• Like Like x 3
  9. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    • Like Like x 3
  10. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    I really like the B&W ones here!! Since that's already been done I'll try a different approach. Ok here goes:

mu43-post-processing-challenge-79-entry-resized.
    (Full-Size Image Link)
    --Changed the light at the top of the rudder to blue, got rid of the decal at the top, changed the center letter make it say "DMV", and removed the tail tie-down line. The off to Lightroom to bring out the greens more, gradient brush to the sky above, some lens vignetting, noise reduction, etc... This was a fun one!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Bump! A few more hours to go. Roll up, roll up and give it a spin ;-)

13. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    OK, challenge is now closed. Thanks to the participants. I'll get the results up in the morning.

14. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Thanks to all who have entered and apologies for the earlier snafu with the jpeg/raw mix-up. Enjoyed all of the entries immensely.

D4rKB9 / Mateusz - I like your dry, parched processing. It gave the picture a harsh dustbowl vibe. Even the planes skin/rivets look stressed and in need of some moisteuriser.

WhidbeyLVR / Lyle - A clever bit of captioning :smile: I think if you'd continued with your bleached look you might have been onto something. Thanks for spotting the jpeg glitch too !

Orfeo - I like the tighter crop and B&W processing - the sky in particular looks almost inverted compared to the lightness in the rest of the image. It gives the picture an oppressive vibe that can sometimes come from wide-open spaces.

Jomerads / John - I enjoyed the slightly vintage feel. It almost felt like you turned Wanaka into Outback Australia with the red-soil and fluffy pearlescent clouds.

Jo45800 - Like Orfeos picture I thought it was another nice and contrasty take. Maybe slightly more nuanced in your handling of the sky gradients.

Jomerads / John - Second image and another different feel. This feels like a nice straight B&W take on the original while maintaining the clear sky.

Perpetualjon - Nice 'shopping skills in 'tidying' up the image. DMV is genius (hopefully they don't revoke your license . . .). I liked the fact that, without your commentary, I actually would have had to do a side by side comparison to spot the differences because the edits were so seamless.

To the results -

Bronze goes to
    mu43-post-processing-challenge-79-entry-resized.

Silver goes to D4rK89
    P2147091small.

Gold goes to Jomerads
    12778511873_4340182a87_b.

• Like Like x 5
  15. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    Thanks Phigmov, I appreciate that. I had several renditions of your image; even with the JPEG. Your image looks like a commercial ad. It was tempting to write something on the page like what Lyle did. Congratulations to Mateusz and Perpetualjon. I liked the black and white contrasty rendering of jonathan and orfeo as well.

Great work by all!

John S.

• Like Like x 1
  16. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    Yeah, I really did like the B&W renditions too!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. D4rK89

D4rK89 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Poland
    Mateusz
    Thanks for silver and congrats for rest of us :)

Hip hip hura for the winner! and lets try next capture :)

• Like Like x 1