1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #70 (72 Hrs)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Bokeaji, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    YAAAAAAY A CHALLENGE!

I hope we get some first timers! i remember months ago there were a handful of people who had only posted 1-4 times, and their entries were phenomenal! so lets find some more lurking talent!

Ok, i realized suddenly that almost all of my images have been in jpg only bw grainy mode for the last few weeks... LOL. so my options were limited.. but i really liked a version of this photo that i had done, so im curious how the rest of you would see this!

This Challenge will end Jan 17, as soon as i drag myself out of bed ;)

The photo is in a Subway sammich shop near one of the offices i work for, this one in Victoria, TX. Taken with my new oly em1(weeee!) and my fav lens for it, the pl 25/1.4!

P1070332 (1).

ORF
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67818748/mu43 Challenges/P1070332.ORF

JPG
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67818748/mu43 Challenges/P1070332.jpg

The Rules:
    The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

TALLY HO!

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

First timer - well, for PPC at least!

OV3: Perspective correction, WB shift to add back warmth, heavy crop.
    PS CS2: Boosted shadows using curves and gradient layer masks to varying degrees in the corners, global curves adjustment to increase fill light, localised dodging and burning to enhance textures on walls and de-emphasise door handle.
    P1070332-PPC-C.

Still in PS: Left half converted to monotone using red filter, right half converted to monotone using 50/50 red/blue filter, blue duo-tone, reduce saturation, global curves adjustment to increase fill light.
    P1070332-PPC-BW.

• Like Like x 2
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    tried to give a darker mood to the image.
    basically a crop to rule of thirds, and some selective dodging and burn in - All done in Aperture in about 15 minutes

P1070332_1_.

K

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cropping, removing chromatic aberration in sky lights, increasing tonal contrast in the wall decoration, BW rendition using Silver Efex Pro (including framing and copper toning).

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    Done all in Lr,

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/kikoy_lim/11946214194/player/e3f553d623" height="481" width="640" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank you

• Like Like x 2
  6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Took out the rather irritating poles and gave it a depressing sepia look to match the ambience.

pp70-1.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    Here's my first attempt:

• Like Like x 4
  8. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    Second attempt:

• Like Like x 1
  9. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    1st attempt
    Using OV3 (Version 1.2 Update available BTW)
    Changed it to sepia and used grain art filter and white edge effect and played about with curves etc, i was tempted to make it darker but changed my mind.

Photo taken by bokeaji over at Mu-43.com by k34n3r, on Flickr
    In retrospect it's a bit tall especially for viewing on a computer screen.

• Like Like x 2
  10. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I like your take on it Scotsman

• Like Like x 1
  11. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    How did you make those poles disappear ?

12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Holy macanolies! These are all so great, guys!!!

13. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    solitude

11950654784_afbd5a60ed_b.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    Mostly Silver Efex and a few tweaks in Lightroom

2e2if0x.

• Like Like x 1
  15. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Lone dinner

I started with the JPEG version. I don't usually do B&W. But I couldn't get a color balance, that suited me. So, I went gray scale, cropped out some of the distractions, lowered the contrast and light level a bit to ease the harsh light and contrast. I.Usually bump the contrast and sharpen a bit, to bring out detail. But, it seemed to actually hurt this one. So, decreased both.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    #2 Mirror image

2yvjjtl.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    was coming up as broken for me, so threw up the bbc stuff for it in case others are having issues seeing yer work as well!

11946202924_36ec97a5ea_b.
    P1070332 by hdemey1, on Flickr

18. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    m43diner.

I think I might overdid it with the used effects, had fun experimenting though.

Cropped the picture, selected the man and his drink, lamps and the restrooms sign, inverted selection and used alien skin texture noise, selected the door handle and the surrounding wood and changed depth of field and lastly added a little vignette

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    as i impatiently wait for my dinner and prepare to watch PRISONERS, i thought id take a moment to thank everyone who has participated so far, and to yell and have a tantrum at anyone who lurked and hasnt posted something yet ;) lol :D

20. Thanks, for this, "Bokeaji". I continue having problems posting to this forum from my Zenfolio account, and now also from Flickr. I suspect a problem with a firewall at the place where I am posting from.

Does this link from G+ is visible?

[​IMG]