1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #7

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by dtchan, Jan 20, 2013.

1. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Hi All,

I feel bad that last year Post Processing challenge died with me. I didn't had time to create the voting and tallying system. This time should be much easier as I just need to pick the winner =)

I think I took this last year with the GF1 and 12mm @f4. I found this guy interesting so I speed walk in front of him and just angled the camera backwards and shot this.

My main problem with this photograph is the distracting people and legs behind him. I still want the street feel but the focus to be the guy smoking. I made it work in the end without cropping that guy out so let see how this challenge goes.

[​IMG]

The link to the dng is here (right click and save link as): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13304145/Challenge7/120404_street_177.DNG
    The link to the jpg is here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13304145/Challenge7/120404_street_177.JPG

Winner shall be announced on or shortly after the 23 Jan by 8 PM GMT.

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge. Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry)

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

• Like Like x 2
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    In following your theme, I've tried to put the focus on the smoker without cropping.

desaturated the background, added a vignette to help focus the eye. extra clarity on the face and hands.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Cropped to a square chopping the top of the head to counterbalance the feet.
    Edited in Silver Efex Pro
    Added white matte in PS

PP7_1_of_1_.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Having an issue downloading the RAW file from a Mac. Link given doesn't download a file automatically but gives me a page of text.

Also can I request that people also supply the actual RAW file, not a DNG. I am not sure that Aperture always can read DNG - i had issues with challenge #5 regarding not being able to read the file, but the last challenge was no problem.

cheers

K

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I had the same issue if I left clicked the link...
    try right click - 'save as' (or equivalent)

6. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    tried that - file still unreadable by CS3 or Aperture. Maybe I have to have latest adobe Camera RAW installed?

So much for DNG being a futureproof universal format :)

K

7. Futureproof, not backwards proof :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    I've never done one of these challenges before. I had some spare time and thought I'd give this one a go.

hazwing did a great job, I just liked to see what it looked like with a little more visible background and some 70's colour.

Some selective desaturation and darkening. Colour and tone adjustments, vignetting, clarity, and I can't remember half the changes. Just a little cropping.

This was fun!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dnightingale/8401805858/" title="120404_street_177.jpg by Darren.Nightingale, on Flickr"> 8401805858_a50fc9dfc8_b. "684" height="1024" alt="120404_street_177.jpg"></a>

• Like Like x 4
  9. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
  10. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Thanks lubov..... but i dont want to use DNG - and thats not the solution to the problem - which is why cant i read this DNG in CS3 or Aperture.

don't want to derail this thread ( again :)) but would be curious whether other Aperture users have problems reading some DNG's

edit - found this

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4251197?start=0&tstart=0

seems like there are issues with DNG's from Lightroom.... and that there are all sorts of flavours of DNG

K

11. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I decided to crop the picture according to the rule of thirds and put the two guys on each third. In Vivaz I have lighten up the smoker face and reduced the glare and highlights from the street and the sky.
    This was done in LR4 then in NIK for the first picture i have added tonal contrast , detail extractor and gold color for the street roughness. While removing from the face of the smoker.

120404_street_177-Edit-Edit-2.

For the second entry I have decided to take the gold approach further. Using Color Effex I added sloarization and colorize to gold filters. From the face of the smoker I have removed the filter in order to get a more natural face.

120404_street_177-Edit-Edit.

• Like Like x 2
  12. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK finally got a file into Aperture - DNG Convertor to make an earlier version of DNG - which I could open with Photoshop CS3 to create a TIFF which Aperture would read..... whew!!! what a long way round - please an appeal to post actual RAW files :)

anyway, here is my first go - stopping now as I am going round in circles - as often happens with PP - sometimes its good to start again

OK the recipe in Aperture

Crop - also following rule of thirds - interesting how this 'rule' can have so many variations - kind of liked the inverted 'V' of the traffic light and the overhead wires

Little bit of recovery, a little shift of the black point

A bunch of definition slider - also bumped up Saturation

Pulled in the highlights and actually did some lowered mid contrast

Dodged the two guys and cloned out a girl sitting on the wall to the left

120404_street_177_1_1_.

not my best... will have another go

cheers

K

• Like Like x 1
  13. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    OK, hands up, I didn't follow the brief here :eek:

I just liked the interest in his face so much, the smoking, the downturned mouth & lips just as he has drawn on his cigarette, those mirrored shades; I massively cropped it just on his top half.

Played with the verticals & distortion, desaturated most of it, but put a slight bit back in on his face, hands, & the building, a graduated diagonal filter on the sky, vignette to draw it even more in on him.

I'll probably have another entry later, more on-brief :biggrin:

8402284726_9183065541_b.
    MU-43_PP#7-1 by savvy249, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  14. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Brief...? I'm a boxer kinda guy :biggrin:

PP7.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mkee

mkee Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    Here my shot at it.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/34870254@N03/8402538308/" title="120404_street_177 by fm289302, on Flickr">"800" height="534" alt="120404_street_177"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  16. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    decided to go a completely different direction with my second try.

More of a cropping exercise

scene from an unmade hollywood movie

120404_street_177_1_-_Version_2.

K

• Like Like x 1
  17. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Hey Kevin, sorry I didn't provide the actual raw file cause after I converted to dng I delete the ORF files. Maybe a tiff file would work too in the future?

18. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    No need to apologise... but maybe we need to investigate which flavours of DNG are most compatible - the previous challenge was a DNG and it opened no problem in Aperture, whereas the one before was also a dng and had issues as well.

I have never bought into the 'advantages' of DNG, and keep all my files as original RAW... but its seems many people have swallowed the Adobe Kool Aid :)

cheers

K

19. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    2nd Entry - Batman & Robin?

For once, from me, no B&W entry.

8401889831_8fae172fd3_b.
    MU-43_PP#7-2 by savvy249, on Flickr

LR4
    ------
    Crop to Landscape
    Warmed up the WB to 6950
    Exposure : -1.30
    Contrast : -12
    Highlights : -50
    Shadows : +85
    Whites : +23
    Blacks : -50
    Clarity : +25
    Vibrance : +15

Increased the Blue sky on the left : Aqua : +49, Blue : +92
    Graduated filter on the sky to darken the grey clouds
    Adjustment brush on the guy's face & hand to Dodge them

NR Luminance : 35, Detail : 50

Into Photoshop for the Black Bars only (not again !! :biggrin: )

Back to LR and export with LRMogrify2 with basic sharpening for screen.

EDIT : Bum, similar crop to mkee & Kevin - sorry guys!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Here's my entry in B&W. Not a ton of processing here, simple tweaks in Silver Efex Pro 2:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30940068@N02/8401941883/" title="PP Challenge #7 (dtchan) - B&amp;W by jloden, on Flickr"> 8401941883_d56d2744e8_c. "534" height="800" alt="PP Challenge #7 (dtchan) - B&amp;W"></a>

Silver Efex Pro 2
    Fine Art Preset w/added grain
    Brightness: 10%
    Contrast: 25%
    Structure: 100%
    Vignetting: 60%

And a color version, considerably more PP work on this one.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30940068@N02/8401941093/" title="PP Challenge #7 (dtchan) by jloden, on Flickr"> 8401941093_a562c5a633_c. "534" height="800" alt="PP Challenge #7 (dtchan)"></a>

LightRoom 4 Overall Settings
    WB Temp: 5226
    Shadows: +12
    Blacks: -12
    Clarity: +100
    Vibrance: -3
    Tone Curve: Medium Contrast preset
    Color Saturation: Orange -52, Yellow -41, Blue -31
    Sharpening: +32
    Vignetting: -10

+Adjustment Brush on Sunglasses
    Exposure: +0.35