1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #69 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by jomerads, Jan 5, 2014.

1. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    To all our regulars, first-timers and occasional visitors, welcome all!

I am honored to host #69. Our challenge will begin tomorrow January 6, 2014 Monday 7am New York/New Jersey time (Eastern) and will end at around January 9 Thursday at the same time (Eastern) or 12 noon London time (Greenwich). Feel free to submit entries even now.

My image was taken with an EM5 using the 25 mm PL lens. It is a view of Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts September 2013. Feel free to improve upon the image as you see fit. It was a bit of a challenge for me that is why I chose this image. I hope it provides a certain level of challenge for you. Please have fun as I have enjoyed post processing your images. Where else can you vicariously go to Upstate New York, Belgium, the Philippines, Brazil, etc. week after week? Here. :smile:

11783658156_6d87ee02b7_b.
    _9021236 by jomerads, on Flickr

JPEG: http://www.mediafire.com/view/56336tnlbdd73x1/_9021236.JPG

Raw: http://www.mediafire.com/download/emge7eebc4r2heg/_9021236.ORF

The Rules:
    The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Good Luck to All!

John S.

2. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    I did a fairly restrained black and white conversion in Lightroom. Graduated filter and a bit of playing with the colour channels to bring out the sky, some contrast adjustments and a white vignette to draw the focus to the centre of the photo

2uh30xg.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    #2 Same adjustments converted back to colour

2qvfa6w.

• Like Like x 1
  4. KennethEU

KennethEU Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Kenneth Madsen
    I had some fun with Color Balance and "Oil Paint" in Photoshop :)
    _9021236_2.

_9021236_3.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    colorglow.
    crop
    alien skin exposure for color tweak
    color efex pro:
    multiple layers of glamour glow with a (-) over the buildings in some layers
    darken/lighten center
    sepiaglow.
    silver efex pro
    antique 1
    structure all the way down
    (-) over the buildings
    color efex pro for glam glow layers with (-) on buildings in one layer

• Like Like x 1
  6. langer318

langer318 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    <iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/96101062@N02/11825567433/in/set-72157638948521895/player/" width="1024" height="768" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    man i wish i had done something for the clouds in my sepia.. they just got washed all out

8. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    I have been trapped at work. I apologize to everybody who has been waiting for the results. I promise I will have the results Saturday morning EST. Latecomers are still welcome to post entries. Great renditions by everyone so far.

John S.

10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Come on last second people!:D

11. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    The Winners

3rd Place goes to langer318. I like the simple colors and the amount of detail of the spire and boathouses. I would have cropped more to bring out the detail in the background.

2nd Place to ger. I like your BW conversion and again the amount of detail in the spire and boathouses. If you did not vignette your rendition I would have given you first place.

1st Place to Eliot (bokeaji). Colored version. I like the risk you took. This rendition though is not for everyone. The people I showed it to either loves it or hates it. My family hates it and the nurses at work loves it. One nurse said it was like a tapestry.

Every rendition that was submitted was a favorite to win including the works of KennethEU and Livingloud. My image did not have a lot of latitude to play with making it difficult to work with. I realize though from one of the threads of this site that it is with limitations that one's creativity is brought about. I would like to thus reward everybody especially bokeaji for your creativity. Congratulations to everyone!

Thanks,

John S.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    Thanks for the feedback John, I like the winning entry too

13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    OMG! My super brief checks on my iPad had me totally miss that I won! Yikes, so sorry guys! I'll get a photo up for next ASAP! I'm on a well field tour ATM so it won't be till this evening earliest!

Thanks so much for the win! It's very difficult for me to not push the processing envelope. I loooooove other peoples mores realistic and classic processings. I just am nearly incapable of not pushing the slider that much further.... Lol. Glad it worked out this time! Lol!

I really liked the autumnal version. The trees were gorgeous!
    I thought my color version was too yellowed, but I thought I'd done enuf to it, and just stopped before I lost my mind with new trial software. Lol

Thanks again
    And sorry again for delay on next!!!!