Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #64 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Ger.mcg, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    Hello everyone and welcome to post processing challenge #64

Another landscape I'm afraid but it's mostly what I've been shooting and I couldn't find anything else that I thought would make a worthwhile challenge. I hope you like it and find it an interesting exercise.

Contest will open on Saturday December 7th at 6pm (GMT) and end on Monday 9th at 6pm but feel free to enter before if you wish. Best of luck and I look forward to seeing the entries.

P1020571.jpg by ger.mcg, on Flickr

Raw file here https://www.dropbox.com/s/emg3szlx9br0g9t/P1020571.RW2

Jpeg here https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fu8jca9gv6jl2j/P1020571.jpg

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread

2. Tried to have an impression of late afternoon sun.

[​IMG]

3. KennethEU

KennethEU Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Kenneth Madsen
    My entry

P1020571.

• Like Like x 4
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice image - lovely landscape.

Keeping the processing simple - a wide-screen crop and a bunch of messing around with the levels, exposure and saturation and a square crop with similar tweakage. In the first I was trying bring out the vibrant band of green through the middle and the second I was aiming for something similar except with a balance of the green and the sea.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  5. jarl

jarl Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    I can't open the JPG from flickr so I can't say how the original looked like, but...

I like to see the clouds' texture, so what I did here was
    - Process the image (using Raw Therapee) into a 16 bit TIFF. As far as I can tell I only adjusted the exposure using "auto" (no sharpening/noise reduction/etc).
    - Fed the TIFF to Luminance HDR. I'm 90% sure I used "Fattal" with all the default parameters, except I reduced the saturation to 0, producing a 16 bit grayscale TIFF
    - Added some texture to the grayscale image using DXO to emulate a Kodak T-Max 100 B&W negative
    - Opened the original (color) TIFF in Photoshop and adjusted the curves to highlight the green of the valley
    - Copied the grayscale version as a new layer with the mixing set to "luminance". I used a mask to limits the effect to the top-left of the image (mostly sky, and a part of the mountain)

I'm not 100% satisfied with the way the sky is looking but I think this would be it for now.
    P1020571s.

[Edit] Similar process, without the film texture (and something else is missing... note the bluish tint)
    P1020571s2.

• Like Like x 3
  6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I was aiming at an old postcard look

all done in Aperture.... there was cropping, and dodging and burning and playing around with WB and saturation, some definition and a slight vignette

P10205712.

K

• Like Like x 2
  7. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.

11265825743_36ab7b4d6e_b.
    PP64-2 by jomerads, on Flickr

Before I run out of renditions :smile:

Thanks,

John S.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    Great work so far guys

Can't see your picture Zeus

9. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.

11266931494_c210c55c34_b.
    PP64-3 by jomerads, on Flickr

Whatever will be will be.

Thanks again,

John S.

10. Another rendition: 16/9 cropping; BW conversion.

[​IMG]

11. @gr.mcg

....but it shows in Your post????

See what happens with this URL...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    Showing in third post Zeus, others are showing "Content protected by owner"

13. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Must be some weird setting by Zenfolio...hope You guys can see both of my posts....cannot verify from my end, because everything looks normal.

15. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    I can see the photo in post #11 where you changed something but I still can't see the photos in the other posts.

16. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    We can not see your 16 x9 Black and White conversion Zeus1.

John S.

17. My apologies for this problem with my pictures.

Please give me feedback...can You see them in this post?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    Spot on Zeus, can see them now :smile:

19. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    Tilt Shift Effect

[​IMG]"640" height="484" alt="P1020571"></a>[/IMG]

Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  20. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Nice file to work with, although I couldn't process it the way I expected, because of my lack of skills. But there it goes anyway:

P1020571b.

• Like Like x 1