1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #61 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by greenarcher02, Nov 19, 2013.

1. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Hello everyone! Since I won last PPC, I welcome you the 61st Post processing Challenge. :2thumbs:

Challenge will start 8 AM UTC+08:00 November 20. Please feel free to post anytime before then as well.
    It will conclude on November 23 at 8 AM UTC+08:00 (12 PM UTC/GMT).

I took this photo of our living room and Christmas tree 2 weeks ago, a few days after I got my GX7, so I was a little trigger happy around the house. I only had the RAW file so I had to use Lightroom to generate the JPEG image.

Image taken with a GX7 + 20mm f1.7, ISO1600, 1/40 sec.

Good luck and best wishes to everyone!
    P1190100.jpg

JPEG
    RAW

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. A Christmas tree in Your home from the beginning of November???????? This is a cultural shock for me!
    Living in Belgium, we have the habit of installing our X-mas tree after December 6th. On that day, we celebrate "Sint Niklaas", the feast for young children when they receive gifts, consisting of toys and candy. "Sint Niklaas" or Saint Nicolas was a bishop (probably from Turkish origins) who performed several miracles (resurrecting murdered children and such like)

3. Cropping, and straithening, normalising white balance. A touch of HDR using nik HDR. The empty couch screamed for some action :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    a couple of takes on this image.... which has a weird David Lynch vibe to it

P1190100_1_.jpg

P11901001.jpg

All PP in Aperture on a 11 inch Macbook Air

K

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    Crop and straighten, Antique preset in Lightroom, darkened blue and lightened yellow and orange channels, luminence raised to 50 for a soft look and blackened the glass panels to the left of the tree using the healing brush, hope you like it

Photo by Greenarcher02 on Mu 43 by ger.mcg, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  6. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    [​IMG]"640" height="485" alt="untitled-1190100"></a>[/IMG]

Used Fuji Fortia SP VSCO Film
    [​IMG]"640" height="485" alt="untitled-1190100-2"></a>[/IMG]

thank you

• Like Like x 5
  7. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    10973714264_2bac3bba30_b.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    #1 Black and White

10973696396_4fd4edee9c_b.jpg
    PP61-5 by jomerads, on Flickr

Could not open the raw file with my tools (my limitation). I wish I could have opened it to use it. Had to use the JPEG.

Thanks though,

John S.

• Like Like x 3
  9. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    #2 Colored version

10973589025_a0e6b2c2f9_b.jpg
    PP61-4 by jomerads, on Flickr

Thanks again,

John S.

• Like Like x 3
  10. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Love what people are doing with this one. Some classic takes on the original.

First is a family x-mas card look through Photostyler.

Second is a square crop, some leveling, enhancement and a trippy velvia filter in Aperture.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Entry #1:

• Like Like x 6
  12. greenarcher02

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Hello everyone! Was busy yesterday so I only got the chance to look at these today.

I really enjoyed the entries. You're all so creative and it was really hard choosing a winner. It was so different to what I did to the photo. (here it is if anyone wants to see.)

So without further ado, here goes:

Second Runner Up:
    phigmov (2nd entry): I like the filter you used. Something I would use myself. The only thing I didn't like was the cropping.

First Runner Up:
    twokatmew: 50-50 on this. While I like what you did to it: the softness, the glow, and how the colors pop out; there's just.... something still lacking. Maybe I keep comparing it to Ger.mcg's work and I always come back to that, but this is really a close 2nd.

Winner:
    Ger.mcg

Photo by Greenarcher02 on Mu 43 by ger.mcg, on Flickr
    I love the overall look of this image and the preset you used. It really works with the empty scene and brings out the mood I want. Congratulations!

Honorable mentions:
    Zues1: That was funny. :biggrin: But the couch was supposed to be empty haha. But seriously, I enjoyed your take on it. And about this:
    Welcome to the Philippines, where Christmas season starts as early as September (as long as there's a '-ber' at the name of the month, it's officially Christmas). Most people decorate around October and November actually (our tree was actually put up last October), but for the sake of being first, some shops have already been selling decors since September.

franklim (2nd entry): I like the filter, but not really digging the sprakly Christmas lights. I also tried that when playing with this image, but decided against it. It works on a different shot of the tree, but I think not for this one. :smile:

• Like Like x 6
  13. Congrats to the winnner and runners-up!
    What strikes me is that nobody (except me) removed the electrical wire in the upper left corner.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    Wow, I'm amazed and grateful that you chose my effort from the great interpretations of your photo, many thanks. It was an interesting challenge and a good learning experience for me. :smile:

I'll try and figure out the hosting business and choose an image for the next challenge in the next couple of days.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    Sorry greenarcher02

For being a bit presumptive. I could not resist putting a family with a Christmas tree. (A Filipino family at that. :big grin:) Must be the Thanksgiving season here having an effect on me already :smile:

Thanks,

John S.

• Like Like x 1
  16. greenarcher02

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Oh no worries. :smile: I'm just being over dramatic with the whole Christmas thing. I'm not really feeling festive about it for the past few years, and it did reflect with my choices here. But I still appreciate it, thank you. :wink:

• Like Like x 1