Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #6

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by elavon, Jan 16, 2013.

1. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    This is a picture of the garbage train at Jerusalem market using Rokinon 7.5 Fish-eye. I have struggled post processing this picture in one of the former 72 hours challenges.
    I will be happy to see your interpretation. Please show us your talent.

The size rule is mandatory, smaller then 500px X 500px pictures will disqualified

The link bellow contain DNG and HQ JPG files.

Winner shall be announced on or shortly after the 20 Jan by 8 PM GMT.

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge. Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry)

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    20 minutes work in Aperture

16:9 crop using rule of thirds to position the old man

bunch of cloning/healing in the sky to remove wires/light

bumped up shadows, definition and vibrancy

polarized and burnt in sky

dodged the old guy and gently burnt in around him

warmed up the WB

mild vignette to bring it all in

• Like Like x 6
  3. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    argh... just finished with my first edit and only saw that my crop is similar with kevin's. Anyway: reduced distortion, bw conversion, all in LR4.

EDIT: been playing with geometric corrections to modify the image so it looks un-fisheye like.. I think this is my best edit yet, so I took down the previous edits...

• Like Like x 5
  4. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Photoshop CS6.
    Cropped in 2.4 : 1 ratio.
    Black and white custom levels, mild distortion correction.

• Like Like x 2
  5. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010

work done: selective sky enhancement, more blue, punchy look.
    Overall curves adjustment, some perspective correction, some cloning, horizon correction.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Leos I do not reduce points on similar crop.:biggrin:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Oh this picture looks fun. Is it taken with the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye?

Edits for both:
    1. Used the Hemi-Fisheye conversion to straighten out the people.
    2. Color Efex 4 Pro - Detail Extractor + Mild Tonal contrast.

Edits for Photo 1:
    3. Used LR Cinema Preset - Dialed it down to my liking. I feel this picture should be in color but there are just so much color so I played with the vibrance and saturation in LR.
    4. Lately I have been doing a 16:8 crop on my street photos so I did the same and then exported from LR with 10% black borders.

Edits for Photo 2:
    3. This one is just kind of for fun. LR Cinema Preset (stronger than pic 1). Went back to Color Efex 4 and added an ink filter.
    4. 16:8 crop and export with 10% black borders.

• Like Like x 9
  8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel

Thanks I was worried after the last challenge.
    Yes it was taken with the Rokinon 7.5 fish-eye.
  9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I wanted a claustrophobic feel to this picture. The old man seems lost in a sea of confusion and chaos. The fisheye effect actually works to this photo's advantage I think. Added vignette to boost this feel.

<a href="" title="Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge"></a>

Reduced highlights, boosted recovery to bring out clouds. Boosted contrast/clarity, reduced vibrance/saturation. Split toned.
    • Like Like x 5
  10. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    A couple of edits from me.....

#1. In CS5, HDR toning to bring out colours, contrast and detail in the path. I then used the shear filter (to the right) to accentuate the curve in the path. Next, I used the twirl filter to straighten up the centre and give poor fella's legs a rest. Then, all the usual contrast / levels / colour adjustments etc.

#2, a quick high contrast B&W conversion of the above as I like B&W.

• Like Like x 4
  11. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    quite a bit of departure from the norm (unless you're from australia, this is normal life), but i really liked the shadow the old guy was casting. couldn't quite get the look right to accentuate it, so i flipped it upside down. only using camera raw... tweaked the curve, warmed the wb temp, slight green to the tint. bumped the exposure a tad, decreased the contrast, little less clarity and vibrance. a tad bit more saturation. little bit of split toning and some vignetting..

• Like Like x 5

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    I went the simple "dark" route on this. Then added a radial blur mask and vignette to try and enhance the fisheye effect.

m43 PP Challenge #6 by BAXTING, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 5
  13. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    • Like Like x 4
  14. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    A great image, as is, Ehud :bravo-009:

I liked the old man and, although the image is called the Garbage Train, I decided to make him the subject. I broke the rule of rwo-thirds and, against all the rules, put him in the centre; the reason for this is I wanted to include where his eyes were looking toward on the left, and also include "some" of the garbage train on the right for additional interest.

I wanted to get rid of the ugly wires/light in the foreground of the sky, but my healing & cloning skills were so poor that I gave up and cheated by putting top and bottom black bars in :frown: (something for me to practice on later)

1st Entry

MU-43_PP#6-1 by savvy249, on Flickr

Lightroom 4
    De-fished using Sigma 8mm Fisheye Lens Profile
    Rotated to get the old man vertical
    Cropped for close-up & composition
    WB Temp 7500
    Exposure -0.80
    Contrast -7
    Highlights -43
    Shadows +43
    Whites +23
    Blacks -5
    Clarity +35

Wanted to really bring out those colours on the left, and the boxes on the train so :-
    Vibrance +60
    Saturation +15
    Applied a very slight S-Curve to further adjust the Shadows & highlights

Deepened the blue in the sky by using the TAT : Aqua +31, Blue +100, and then applied a Graduated Filter to the sky, setting Exposure -1.00, Highlights -30 (but then lost most of the benefit of this by applying the black bars later)

Sharpening 75, Radius 0.8
    NR Luminance 40, Detail 50 : Color 25, Detail 50

Into Photoshop to apply the black bars.

Back into LightRoom and adjusted the tone curve again to just up the highlights a touch.

Exported using LRMogrify2 plugin, with slight sharpening for screen

2st Entry

MU-43_PP#6-2 by savvy249, on Flickr

Used the first colour edit, and exported to Nik Silver Efex Pro2
    Started with High Structure (Harsh) to bring out the check detail in the man's shirt, and to take out any colour interest in the photo, to leave the old man, and his thoughts, as the interest without colour distraction.

Then back into Lightroom, and a straight export as before.
    • Like Like x 5
  15. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Here are my two entries:

I though the main subject of this scene is the garbage train, and the old man whom everyone else seemed to be focusing on was distracting for me, so I just cropped out most of the scene to emphasize the garbage train, and did some extensive dodging of the garbage, and burning everything else around it. Then, I boosted the tonal curve, sharpened, increased vibrancy and clarity aggressively. Finished off with a little vignetting.

The second shot is just a B&W version of the first entry, further boosting contrast, brightness, and black in it...
    • Like Like x 2
  16. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Like most people, I tried to isolate the guy in the checked shirt.

In darktable I first eyeballed a TCA fix, cropped and rotated so the guy was upright, which made him slightly more the subject of attention than before. Then I attempted to transform what I had into a high key photo. That didn't work out well enough, so I backed it out part way and tried with white vignetting. I also used the color filters to cut down the color of the woman's pink/orange shirt.

Then in gimp I burned down the tiles a touch, and again reworked the people in the background.

• Like Like x 2
  17. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    My 2nd attempt.

This is the best high-key version I could come up with. I thought the crop/rotation it best emphasized the diagonals in the photo.

• Like Like x 1
  18. muzee

muzee Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2011
    First attempt -
    Rotated so that the wires (partially cropped now) were horizontal.
    Few adjustments, some color-fx treatment, added border:

• Like Like x 1
  19. previz

previz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Here's my take:
    -isolate POI with painted hue layer
    -dark gradient over sky
    -some lens and color correction

• Like Like x 5
  20. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Last call

Only 10 hours left to post your entries.