1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #54 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by whatisinthebag, Oct 10, 2013.

1. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    As runner up for the previous challenge, I've been granted the pleasure of continuing this wonderful contest. Have fun dealing with the distortion of this shot taken with the OM-D and Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5. :cool:

Remember to use your lens correction filters to help make the most of this photograph. Here's a great thread about reducing the fish in fisheye photographs from Amin and other Mu-43 members: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=31417

Raw:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1c4czy1m5akp6j/P1070031.orf

JPG:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqypx9kl3jjh6ee/P1070031.jpg

The official rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I embrace the fish
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisraines/10201114624/" title="MU #54 by Dennis Raines, on Flickr"> 10201114624_9cb59b918a_b. "1024" height="768" alt="MU #54"></a>

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    defished by Hemi.
    Silver fx pro for BnW

thank you

• Like Like x 1
  5. This is a technically more challenging photo.

In Camera Raw improved exposure, clarity, vibrance... Defished the image using the profile for the Nikon 10.5 fisheye lens.

Removed the important chromatic aberration surrounding the wire in the upper right corner using nik Viveza. Removed the grass in the upper left corner by cloning.

Using nik HDR Efex Pro gave the image some boost.

Finished by vignetting the borders a bit to draw the viewers attention to the center.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Interesting pic. Great for a challenge - I was certainly stumped !

Both processed in Aperture w/ Auto Enhance.

First was a square crop, some straightening, DxO Film Pack Kodachrome filter. As per other comments - embracing the Fish, the fence geometry and flare.

Second was a super tight crop to ditch the flare & fence entirely, some straightening and a little simple filmic filtering.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Great challenge.
    applied s-Fuji Provia 100F+
    crop
    removed chromatic aberration
    reduced white clipping
    desaturated sign in background
    adjusted clarity, vibrance and saturation on pump

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. whatisinthebag

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Enjoying the entries! Can't wait to see more.

9. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. KennethEU

KennethEU Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Kenneth Madsen

My entry. Used two graduated filters + minor adjustments i LR.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23153&stc=1&d=1381693462.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  11. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. whatisinthebag

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Time to close the competition, we went a little beyond the 72 hours in hopes of more entrants. I hope you all enjoyed working on this photo as much as I enjoyed seeing your interpretations.

If any of your are interested, here was my original take at post processing the photo when I first took it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/staticantics/8368715097/

The results
    second runner up: mnhoj for a dark decay interpretation
    first runner up: franklim for a nice contrast vibrancy pop
    winner: KennethEU for a nicely dramatized and cropped image that stands out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    An outstanding and challenging photo.
    Great job hosting and congratulations to the winners.