1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #52 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by marcsitkin, Oct 1, 2013.

1. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    [​IMG]

Here's a landscape I shot this spring. It's very understated and in my mind needs quite a bit of processing to bring out the textures and colors that are in this scene. I've been messing with it a bit, and have come up with some pleasing processing renditions. I'm presenting the unadulurated jpg and raw for your tweaking pleasure. Hopefully, drop box will co-operate. PM me if you have a problem gaining access, and I'll try to fix the issue.

Link to JPG:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xo7lp28a7tblsq8/RsxJ9ydSCq/_5175596.JPG
    Link to RAW:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xo7lp28a7tblsq8/NMHAIBe6_b/_5175596.ORF
    The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

• Like Like x 5
  2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    The RAW download works fine. :smile:

3. Minor editing in ACR, gradient maps to enhance contrast in the air and idem over the grass to increase saturation and clarity. Some cropping. nik Color Efex Pro/Dynamic Contrast.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  4. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    My take using LR5https://www.mu-43.com/photo_popup.php?e=vB_Editor_001#

• Like Like x 6
  5. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Here's my attempt: Curves, brightness, contrast, vibrancy, Nik Color Efex, crop, resize.

5175596b.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  6. alfogator

alfogator Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Firenze, Italy
    Alfonso Caschili
    Challenge52.

I really like the lower grass line and the tree silhouettes in the background so I tried to find a toning that would give them some weight, while keeping the yellow flowers as the focal point of the image.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    posting so I can get back to the thread easier. :)

8. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    You know you can subscribe to threads without posting... ;)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mu-43 mobile app

9. KennethEU

KennethEU Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Kenneth Madsen
    Crop, dodge and burn, graduated filters, stretching (="more road"), and a heavy de-noise to make it look like a painting.
    No de-noise but more dodge and burn and bluring, lifted shadows + contrast

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  10. Just Jim

Oct 20, 2011
    lol.. actually I did not know that!

11. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  12. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  13. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Another one:
    5175596_-2.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  14. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here is my entry... Gave it a fall/October feel!

• Like Like x 3
  15. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  16. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    10085216093_9c9cede35d_b.

I masked in a shot I took in 2010 on the US395 near Mono Lake, CA.
    Added an ND filter in LR. And a little contrast to the beautiful original image.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  17. Just Jim

Oct 20, 2011
    added in red fill at 5%, Selective color adj, cleaned up clouds, D+B'd the clouds, painted the lower horizon to match, contrast layer for grass which was getting real crunchy. Heal layer for some spots. minimal raw adjs in ACR panel.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/10085645875/" title="mu4352 by slimmerjim, on Flickr"> 10085645875_04db39419d_b. "576" height="1024" alt="mu4352"></a>

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  18. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    tried Washed vintage the whole scene, added some light leaks to add effects..
    all in Lr 5.
    Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  19. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Love these challenges, great opportunity to see so many different interpretations of the same image. Inspires me to experiment with settings I'd never previously considered.

Both in Aperture with auto-enhance as a baseline.

First image is a square crop with a bit of curve tweaking - the blue in particular. Gives it a slightly retro vibe.

Second image is a 16x9 crop with a simple film preset applied. Didn't realise the water was in the background until the blue popped out at the horizon.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  20. caspert79

caspert79 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2013
    Netherlands
    Here is my entry. I tried to make the composition a bit more interesting. Crop, some trees- and flowers- moving :smile: and some standard processing. Plus a bit desaturation of colors.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2