Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #51 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by kevinparis, Sep 27, 2013.

1. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    PPC #51 will officially start at 2 PM PST September 27. Please feel free to post your entries at any time before then as well.
    The Challenge will conclude Monday, September 30th at 2PM PST(GMT-8).

Thought I would set a challenge that was a little different. This shot is from a class i took in strobe lighting, the last time I was in LA. This particular shot was taken while another student was setting up, and is available light from the modelling light only. Shot with the 75mm on the OMD.

PP for portraits is an area I am not over familiar with, and I am looking forward to picking up some hints and tips

Best of luck and have fun!

Kevin

P6220080.

You will find the RAW and JPEG versions in the folder marked "PPC#51 images" at this link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f0y1uq31jtfwnzu/CLIWASSOtL

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    P62200801.

Hope it shows up.

Adobe Raw- reset Whie to 3000k, turned off sharpening
    In PSD, Crop, then Nik Filters:
    Viveza-Open up reflection in eyes
    Cole EFEX Pro, Dynamic Skin Softener on skin, pro contrast, white neutralizer on teeth, glamor glow on hair and shoulders.
    Viveza for burns on neck
    Color efex for vignette.

Saved for web in psd.

• Like Like x 2
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thanks marc... nice job

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Looks like a good one... It'll be fun to do a portrait.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    A nice change Kevin.
    You've captured a very pleasant instance of the model.

Well done Marc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Hey Kevin,

Thanks for a great shot to try my hand on. This is my first PPC to try in.

9972430115_55077767ba_b.
    PPC_51_danimal-1 by Señor Danimal, on Flickr

I brought up the exposure and once I saw the cool background I tried to warm up the model a bit to bring the eye to her. I warmed her hair a bit more than the rest of her. Basically I was thinking "if this was my shot with available light how would I want to present it". Thanks!

I realized I completely forgot to put what I did though :)

Nik Dfine 2 to reduce noise
    Exposure +1.75
    skin tone adjust -20 or so
    Vibrance to +76
    clarity to +18
    highlights -13
    highlight brush on models face to knock down shininess
    temp/tint brush on hair to warm
    reduce saturation on flowers with brush
    crop to size/composition
    reset highlights to -51 per personal taste

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Lovely image Kevin.

Both images processed in Aperture with Auto-Enhance.

First is a 8 x 10 crop, tweaked exposure,brightness & contrast a smidgen.

Second is a square crop, tweaked exposure a tad (half-stop) and then a DxO Ilford B & W film conversion.

In both cases I quite like the light/dark split.

If I had any mad-Photoshop-skillz I'd remove the rubber band - I find something about it quite distracting.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Funny you say that. I messed with the Content-Aware fill in Photoshop, but I couldn't get it to my liking so I left it. If I had mad photoshop skillz I too would have pulled it, but as it's a photo of real life I don't find it too distracting.

9. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/9974397514/" title="mu4351 by slimmerjim, on Flickr"> 9974397514_026e99f2da_c. "640" height="800" alt="mu4351"></a>

Healed out fly away hairs, skin blothches, scaleys and the like, brought back a few with opacity. Keepin' it real.

Brought out eyes, Dodge and burned like a mad man to add some shape and depth to the face, separate d&b for background to create sme speration. added some lipstick, saturated and opacity to liking

Skin smoothing the old fashioned way with paint brush, eye dropper, and opacity
    Noise reduction, sharpened.
    took ut the rubber band, saturated and d&b'd the flower and hand.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I liked the fairly low key original photo and only tried to enhance the look.

The main change I made was to rotate the photo 12 degrees which I think gives it better balance.

Other than that there was just a bit of general touch up.

pp51_1_of_1_.

My second entry is a two minute adjustment of the first. Desaturation plus added contrast.

pp512_1_of_1_.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  12. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    9976030413_063615bddb_b.

LR.
    Skin smoothing. Teeth whitening.
    Saturation and exposure brush on hair highlights.
    A little warmth.
    Slight tilt counter clock.
    Vignette.

• Like Like x 3
  13. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    9975943446_516cb87bce_b.

Same as color and added glow and monochrome.

• Like Like x 3
  14. qoo77

qoo77 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    Tried my best to fix her right brow in Lightroom and not go wild on Skin Smoothing brush :p

9977071613_08f806d7f5_b.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  15. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  16. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  17. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertmackenzieretouch/9980141184/" title="P6220080 by Lubov Photos, on Flickr">"534" height="800" alt="P6220080"></a>

• Like Like x 4
  18. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    Done a lot of things in Lr, imagenomic portraiture for facial clean up,
    On-one presets
    2nd Photo converted to Monocrome..

thank you..

• Like Like x 3
  19. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Edited in Paintshop Pro. Used Curves, dodge, burn, soften brush, Topaz BW.

P6220080_-11.

• Like Like x 1
  20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Kevin, this is a tough one. Not because it's a poor image, but because it's a great one! I really like portraiture so I couldn't resist entering this one. :smile:

While everyone is pulling shadows, I really like the dramatic lighting here, so I wanted to enhance that feel. I upped exposure to better light her face. Increased shadows, blacks, and added vignette to really make her pop. Adjusted WB to separate her better from the background. I cropped out some of that negative space on top of the frame. Not too much because you loose that high angle perspective with a tight crop. In portraiture I believe it's important to process in keeping with the feel of the shoot and model. She has a very natural look, so I don't see a need for anything too edgy, I kept everything natural looking. (I've done quite a bit more tweaks to this but I feel sometimes explaining the philosophy of processing an image is just as important as just talking about settings.)

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/10020602964/" title="Mu-43.com Post Processing Challenge #51 by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr"> 10020602964_71500e81bf_c. "600" height="800" alt="Mu-43.com Post Processing Challenge #51"></a>

• Like Like x 6