1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #50 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by mnhoj, Sep 21, 2013.

1. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Hello everyone.

PPC #50 will officially start at 5 PM PST tomorrow night September 22. Please feel free to post your entries at any time before then as well.
    The Challenge will conclude Wednesday, September 25th at 5PM PST(GMT-8).

Best of luck and have fun!
    9864305094_d0712e2027_b.

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/view/ojx8us6pojmvv/mu43_challenge_%2350#">JPEG here</a>

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/download/rv2dm4cyn6eg2v5/P8200824.ORF">RAW here</a>

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice image - the picture has an eerie stillness to it.

Both in Aperture, Auto Enhanced and straightened slightly as a baseline.

Then . . .

My first effort is a closer crop just to bring some symmetry to the moored boats and some minor tweaking of the exposure and green highlights.

Second effort is a square crop focussing on the two similar boats, import into the recently liberated DxO FilmPack v3 and given a Fuji Film Cross Process treatment to make the trees go 'zing!'

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    My first entry

P8200824.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  4. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  5. alfogator

alfogator Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Firenze, Italy
    Alfonso Caschili
    Challenge50.

"The Three Cold Murders Case"

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    First of all, John, this is a great image already. Very nice. I really love the symmetry and textures captured here. There really isn't much to be done in my opinion. My goal is to bring out all those textures and really make this pop without loosing the eerie stillness created by the fog. I guess I can play around with this later and post a "crazy" entry. :tongue:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/9873781775/" title="Mu-43.com Post Processing Challenge by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr"> 9873781775_0f701b62be_c. "800" height="600" alt="Mu-43.com Post Processing Challenge"></a>

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  7. caspert79

caspert79 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2013
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Excellent entries everyone!
    I can tell this is going to be (insert your own word here) to judge.

Thanks Vin.
    Very nice. And I'll be looking forward to crazy - cuz I like it.

Attached Files:

9. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    My entry (excellent file to work with):
    Using Paintshop Pro
    Tonal contrast, crop, curves, Nik color efex, Topaz Detail, graduated fog, resize.
    P8200824_-1.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3

10. Minor adjustments in ACR.
    Afterwards, in Photoshop CS6, used several nik filters
    - Color EfexPro/Dynamic contrast
    - High pass sharpening (using a mask) only on the 3 boats (CS6 filter!)
    - Viveza in order to darken the mist on the shoreline behind the boats and also to increase the color of the boats and their reflection in the water
    - Color EfexPro/Darken/Lighten center
    - Blur/Lens Blur in order to blur the tress and the nearby water.

I used these settings to make the image more 3D, strongly emphasising the boats.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/9878686464/" title="mu4350 by slimmerjim, on Flickr"> 9878686464_baa48ee0b6_c. "800" height="572" alt="mu4350"></a>

Not sure I love the crop as the trees are kind of noisey, but.. it seems the only one that fits. Changed up the color a bit to a cool morning fog color, added fog, dynamic skin softener for blurring the extra fog. Avoided contrast adjustments, darken lighten center, added a touch Infinte light source for some depth. Curves, as the usual, still love curves, so handy.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    • Like Like x 3
  13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    • Like Like x 3
  14. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    done adjustsment in LR..
    HDR by Treys preset bundle
    Thank you..

• Like Like x 3
  15. KennethEU

KennethEU Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Kenneth Madsen
    Just a lot of (more or less) random adjustments in LR :smile:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  16. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    went in the opposite direction to my normal way of thinking and tried to enchance the mistiness by lowering the contrast in the trees, desaturating and then using a second contrast mask to sharpen up the boats. Also lightened up the water a bit with a dodge

Finally added a negative gamma vignette that lightens the corners.

All done in about 15 mins in Aperture alone

K

P82008241.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  17. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I agree less/no contrast adjustment is definitely the best course here...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Winter mood in September :)

P82008242.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  19. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Excellent work everyone!

20. qoo77

qoo77 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    A bit of trial and error in Lightroom, couldn't decide which one I liked better!

9916101703_d8700e7503_c.

9916014456_df6e375231_c.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2