Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #47 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Brandon Weaver, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Brandon Weaver

Brandon Weaver Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Cincinnati (Northern Kentucky)
    Brandon Weaver
    I participated in my first Mu-43 challenge last week, and it was quit fun and intriguing. I have a feeling that hosting a challenge will be equally so. If you are on the fence about participating, I recommend you jump right in.

After combing through my archives, I settled on this photo for challenge #47. It was taken about a week and a half ago, during a recording session with a hammer dulcimer player at my studio. It's certainly not a perfect composition or capture (or it wouldn't be a challenge), but I'm sure you will all be able to breath some life into it. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=21408&stc=1&d=1377666327.

RAW: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8p0ToevFl5LYWlacGFYNGh0Wjg/edit?usp=sharing
    JPG: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8p0ToevFl5LTml2YWRFbFpMaFE/edit?usp=sharing

The image was shot through the control room glass with a PL 25mm mounted on a GH3 at f1.4, 1/100, iso400.

The challenge can begin now. All entries should be in by Saturday evening - 8pm EST (UTC -5). I'll review the entries on Sunday and announce the winners on Monday.

-------------

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

Attached Files:

2. In Photoshop CS6, opened the image in ACR and improved it. Then, nik Color Efex Pro/Pro Contrast and Color EfexPro/Darken-Lighten Center. As a last step, denoising using nik DFine.

[​IMG]

3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice shot.

Loaded them into Aperture and used the auto-adjust. Then, kept it simple -

First is a 16 x 9 crop, free Ilford 50 B & W filter with a little lightening.

Second is a square crop and a free Velvia filter with a little lightening.

Attached Files:

4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Quite a challenging photo to work with.

pp47.

Attached Files:

5. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    first take

adjusted contrast, darken the right side a little bit, brought out the shadow on the left side. converted to B&W (Sepia)

Attached Files:

6. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    done in lightroom and some PS..

Thank you..

7. szanda

szanda Mu-43 Regular

Love the image, it was fun pp this one :smile:

techniques used:

number 9 is adjustment layer with 10% opacity

8. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    This one is a real challenge again.

I wanted to know how far I can get using LR only/mostly.

What I did:
    1. cropping away some parts
    2. upscaling/sharpening the resulting small pic with focus magic
    3. applying my EM5 LR-preset to get a smoother tone curve
    4. adjusting color and light to let the instrument shine
    5. brighten up the dark parts a bit

I like the result, but also very much the results of you PS/LR gurus ...

Christof

Attached Files:

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    As usual, I used only Aperture....going for a grainy Tri-X sort of look

P1140324.

here are the settings... it was all about getting the most out of the histogram

Screen_Shot_2013-08-29_at_13_52_24.

K

Attached Files:

10. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    just had fun in Picasa :biggrin:

Attached Files:

11. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    9620034833_320743b088_b.
    Mask and blur in PS to try and separate the subject a little more.
    Crop.
    Monotone with grain added to mask the mask. :)
    Levels and contrast.

Attached Files:

12. alfogator

alfogator Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Firenze, Italy
    Alfonso Caschili
    RAW conversion in Aperture, bumped saturation up 0.05 and painted some Edge sharpening on the movement ghost trails to make them more visible.

In Nik
    Pro Contrast
    Reflector Efex from the bottom right to give the scene a warmer tone
    Darken/Lighten Center to put the spot on the player and give the scene a more intimate mood

Attached Files:

13. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.

Attached Files:

14. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    suspect 'movement ghost trails' are actually reflections from the photographers position on the other side of the control room glass :)

K

15. Brandon Weaver

Feb 2, 2013
    Brandon Weaver
    'tis true. :thumbup:

16. Brandon Weaver

Feb 2, 2013
    Brandon Weaver

Kevin, could you elaborate on "getting the most of the histogram?" I've never heard that term. Are you referring to how you're pushing the highlights and mids with the curve, as the histogram dips in those areas?

17. alfogator

alfogator Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Firenze, Italy
    Alfonso Caschili
    lol, well I was fooled then, still it was fun trying :D

18. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Its late here in europe ...past bed time... so I wont/cant go deep on this...

I probably made up the term 'making the most of the histogram', but the underlying idea is that learning to understand the histogram, and how the sliders in your PP program of choice effect what happens in the histogram.

In your image... which was underexposed, the histogram shows all the pixels piled up to the left.. or the dark side :)

I used the exposure, the brightness and the curves tools to redistribute the values of some of the dark pixels towards the light or right hand side. Then if you want contrast you usually have to spread out the histogram... which will pile up pixels on the left or the right

I am no rocket scientist expert on this..though I was teaching photoshop classes 20 years ago... I am still learning which slider to use when and at the end of the day its about looking, undertanding and what you are trying to achieve

as I said... it late here in eurpoe

K

19. bumsklumpen

bumsklumpen Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 18, 2013
    here is mine. thanks for sharing!

P1140324.

Attached Files:

20. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey