Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #46 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Livnius, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    G'day M43-ers.

As the winner of 45th PP challenge (thanks John) it's my turn to post something for you guys to work on and showcase your mad post processing skills.

Can you save the un-saveable ?
    Can you breathe some life into a lifeless image ?
    ....maybe even make a good image great ?

I took this shot almost 2 years ago on a snowboarding holiday through BC, Canada with my GX1 and P14mm...reminiscing through old photos I stumbled upon it by chance in my archives, I like the shot, it was a great trip full of good memories but this image I just never got around to processing. I think the image has some interesting elements and I'd definitely like to do something with it soon...however, I'd like to see you guys weave your magic first.

mu43 PP challenge #46 by Livnius, on Flickr

<a href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/ce2iv37za5vdkox/P1000692.JPG">Download JPEG</a>

<a href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/63rox36b9ns5t7s/P1000692.RW2">Download RAW</a>

Most of the world is well and truly into Tuesday now so lets call it for Friday evening, Friday midnight even....I'll consider the entries over the weekend.

Good luck :thumbup:

.....and the boring stuff !

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/9557343966/" title="mu4346 as Smart Object-1 by slimmerjim, on Flickr"> 9557343966_d256fd5860_b. "1024" height="576" alt="mu4346 as Smart Object-1"></a>

Attached Files:

3. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Aperture ... tried to keep the green of the trees in the foreground , cropped from the top (an old colleague said, "if it ain't helpin', it's hurtin'"

Attached Files:

4. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    my first entry. heavy crop on the right side. Adjusted saturation/contrast/structure and darken sky a little bit. Converted to B&W with a yellow filter.

9557961345_b5d03a8be9_b.
    PP46 by Livnius @ M43 by rhoydotp, on Flickr

Attached Files:

5. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
  6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Great scene.

I struggled a bit with this one. The banding/shadow in the tree line threw me for an aesthetic loop.

First one, tweaked aspect ratio and tried a Aperture filter - National Geographic from memory.

Second one, square crop emphasising the mountains and blue colour gradations in the sky.

7. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    hi,
    tried adding skies in the background to add a little impact
    and converted to Agfa scala200 film

Thank you.

8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok here is my version - I kind of wanted to create layers of color.

[​IMG]

9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
  10. szanda

szanda Mu-43 Regular

crop and some ps magic :smile:

11. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    bumpin with a 2nd

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/9563364295/" title="mu4346_2 as Smart Object-1 by slimmerjim, on Flickr"> 9563364295_a5d62f306b_b. "1024" height="520" alt="mu4346_2 as Smart Object-1"></a>

Attached Files:

12. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Entry #2

[​IMG]

13. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
    The Afternoon Delight..
    thank you..

14. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    Sunrise motif. Cropped only from above.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/99021065@N04/9558236103/" title="Processing Challenge 46-5 by jomerads, on Flickr"> 9558236103_c8303360ee_b. "1024" height="514" alt="Processing Challenge 46-5"></a>

Attached Files:

15. Brandon Weaver

Brandon Weaver Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Cincinnati (Northern Kentucky)
    Brandon Weaver
    Here is my take on it. When I first saw the image, it immediately made me think 16x9. There is something cinematic about it. As I started tweaking in Camera Raw, and playing with the crop, there was this feeling of these majestic mountains hanging in the balance between light and dark. So, I placed the mountains in the center, then focused on creating these extremes above and below - a yin and yang sort of thing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21186&stc=1&d=1377227901.

Ok, get ready for t.m.i on my amateur post process...

After the settling on a crop in Camera Raw, I tweaked these basic settings

CR_Basic.

Then used the adjustment brush to tweak the three primary areas of the image - sky, mountains, and valley. I ended up needing to create a fourth for one of the clouds, as it started looking a bit too yellow from other processing.

CR_Brush.

I usually work my way across the tabs from this point, making any tweaks that I feel reinforce the message of the image - curves being next.

CR_RedCurve.

CR_GreenCurve.

CR_BlueCurve.

CR_RGBCurve.

...on to some saturation tweaks

CR_HSL.

...and some Camera Calibration tweaks, before heading into Photoshop (sRGB, 16bit)

CR_Camera%20Cal.

In Photoshop I added three adjustment layers, starting with some light color balancing.

PS_ColorBalance.

...then a gradient map and exposure layers (for offset adjustment) to make things feel a little more old/timeless/aged... (You can see the opacity on the gradient map is very low - 18%.)

PS_Grandient%20Map.

PS_Exposure%20Adjust.

It all seems like a lot on "paper," but there wasn't a terrible amount of time invested (to which some of you might reply, "that's obvious" :wink: ) I still have much to learn... at least I might be in the running for longest post.

Attached Files:

16. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Good stuff guys...it's great to see how even a simple landscape can be worked on in different ways.

17. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.

Attached Files:

18. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    It's all about what it feels like...

Hi!

Thanks, good challenge, this was fun. I've seen many scenes like the one you posted with my own eyes, and also with my camera. Usually the latter didn't end up much like the way I saw it with my eyes, and always worse than I remembered. I tried to change your photo so that my version felt right, made me feel like I do about mountains and trees.

<a href="https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5530/9581470842_86b0f23b59_o.jpg" title="P1000692-1 - x1024 jpg by zoopmeme1, on Flickr, click for fs jpg"> 9578688451_c42f87ddea_b. "1024" height="384" alt="P1000692-1 - x1024 jpg"></a>
    [click the picture to access the full-size jpg file]
    [click <a href="http://ppl.ug/_01WRPSdBN4/">here</a> to access a page from which you can download the full-size TIFF file]

Techniques used, all in LR4:
    * Crop from the top to 16x7 aspect ratio
    * Levels: Exposure, shadows, whites, blacks, saturation, vibrance
    * Tone curve: highlights
    * White balance
    * Graduated filter: exposure gradient from bottom
    * Graduated filter: exposure gradient from top
    * Graduated filter: exposure and tint gradient from the upper left
    * Post-crop vignette
    * A little bit of sharpening

Cheers!

Attached Files:

19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Wasn't the challenge supposed to end yesterday? 72 hours is three days.... :smile:

20. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Hi!

Surely. But my photograph was in place at about 11pm PT last night, within the original time frame as stated. Since then, I've just been editing links and post-processing description.

Plus, the organizer said he was planning on being flexible with regard to the dates. From what he said, I expect he will judge the entries on Monday.

Cheers!