1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #44 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by twokatmew, Aug 6, 2013.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    OK, here's challenge #44! I took this photo last summer with my then E-PM1 and 14-42 IIR. Unfortunately I converted the RAW file to DNG and discarded the RAW. My apologies to anyone who requires a RAW file.

This challenge will end at 6:00pm EDT (GMT-4) on Friday, August 9.

challenge_44-1.

DNG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/422519/mu-43/Challenge_44-7161709.dng

JPG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/422519/mu-43/Challenge_44-7161709.jpg

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
  3. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
  4. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
  5. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
  6. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dnightingale/9456036614/" title="Challenge #44 1 by Darren.Nightingale, on Flickr"> 9456036614_d94411771b_b. "1024" height="512" alt="Challenge #44 1"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dnightingale/9456077178/" title="Challenge #44 2 by Darren.Nightingale, on Flickr"> 9456077178_3cb1e92ab8_b. "1024" height="512" alt="Challenge #44 2"></a>

7. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Francisco
  8. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    Nik_Challenge44-3.

PP Steps
    1. Viveza 2
    2. Color Efex 4
    Filters:
    • Tonal Contrast
    • Detail Extractor
    • Graduated ND
    • Polarization
    • Midnight
    3. Dfine 2

Nik_Challenge44-2.

BW PP Steps
    1. Viveza 2
    2. Color Efex 4 - Same filters as above except without Midnight
    3. Viveza 2 - Only added 100% Saturation at this step
    4. Silver Efex 2
    5. Dfine 2

9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
  10. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
  11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    And a B+W version.....

pp442.

12. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice image - on first glance it just looks like a field.

On second glance there are a lot of individual elements to look out for.

First image was given a Velvia make-over in Aperture. The thing that drew my attention was the barn panelling and bright green tractor I didn't even realise was there.

Second image was a square crop, zooming into the barn door - I realised there was a person silhouetted in the frame. Then I gave it a bit of a washed out 70's feel in Aperture.

Attached Files:

13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Very nice, everybody! This one is going to be tough to judge. :smile:

14. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
  15. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
  16. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Tough is right.
    Excellent work everyone!

17. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    One more day left ... any more entries? :smile:

18. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Last call! Challenge closes in a little over one hour. Thanks to all who've participated so far. :biggrin:

19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Challenge is now closed. I'll post the winners sometime tomorrow. Thanks everybody, great work all! :smile:

20. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    The Winners!

These challenges are always tough to judge, but reducing my favs down to three just wasn't possible. So I'm adding a fourth place, honorable mention. Thanks all for your participation. I always love seeing what everybody comes up with to make a so-so image interesting. :smile:

Honorable Mention goes to Ian. Great color, and you managed to create a dark, stormy look without obliterating too much detail.
    Challenge_44-7161709C.

2nd Runner Up, Mr. Hahn. Your entry captures almost what I saw that day through my sunglasses. :smile: I like the detail you brought back into the sky, not overdone but still eye-catching. Great color, crop and detail.
    [​IMG]

Runner Up, robbie36. Very nice B&W with a stormy-looking but not-too-crisp sky. How did you do it? I like how your crop emphasizes the sky without leaving too much sky in the image. :smile:
    pp442.

And the Winner, mnhoj's second entry. I wish I could put my finger on what it is that keeps drawing me back to this image. Could it be the green sky? I wish I knew! I like your crop, that you've kept a lot of detail without it being too sharp. Kind of a worn, working farm look. Would you please share a bit about what you hoped to communicate with your processing and how you did it? :smile:
    9455930920_f051807eec_b.

Again, thanks all for your participation! Great treatments everyone. Congrats, great work! :biggrin: