Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #43 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by pod, Jul 27, 2013.

1. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    OK here we go ....
    PPC #43 will officially start at 6:00 pm here in Brisbane Australia (so UTC+10) (sorry for the time zones). Please feel free to post your entries at any time before then as well.
    The Challenge will conclude Wed at 31st 6:00pm.

This image was taken a few weeks ago at 'Thredbo' one of Australia's very few ski resorts .. my nephew is pictured in the jump, his dad is the photographer in shot (OMD in hand) and I'm taking the shot on the grassy knoll :smile:. It's an OMD, Pana 25f1.4 lens shot ...
    Have fun !
    Cheers Rob

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/98151309@N04/9381741016/" title="P7100300mu43_1 by robkolo666, on Flickr"> 9381741016_434a8577f8_b. "1024" height="768" alt="P7100300mu43_1"></a>

<a title="Download your file from SendSpace" href="http://www.sendspace.com/file/64g3vo" target="_blank">Download P7100300mu43.jpg from SendSpace</a>

<a title="Download your file from SendSpace" href="http://www.sendspace.com/file/gmjvt5" target="_blank">Download P7100300mu43.ORF from SendSpace</a>

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    My usual approach (I must sound like a broken record if anyone checks my processing in the last few challenges) - open raw in iPhoto, square crop, enhance & boost. Open in Snapseed, grunge filter. Going for that hip young ski-bum advertising campaign look.

Attached Files:

3. bumsklumpen

bumsklumpen Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 18, 2013
    hello, here is my first time entry ever on this forum that i have just joined. hope it's okay i've gone crazy with your original picture, thank you by the way!

mu_contest_1024px.

4. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    9380178715_33f832a561_b.

It was accident after accident but I like how it came out. I was just creating a mask to isolate your nephew when I noticed the magic brush tool left a faint outline of the snow base. Didn't even see it until I used it again. I had been using a black layer to see what I was doing - accident #2. Filled in white, saved the black layer and back to LR and SilverFX silhouette. A little bump in EV and off to flickr.

5. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    ^^^ Nice one John !

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Thought I would give Color Efex a go for a change.

Distorted the image to give it a wider angle, in your face feel.

pp43.

7. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    ^^^ Thats pretty cool. The snowboarder really pops out !

8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    OK huge liberties taken with the original photo in this processing....

pp432.

9. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    WOW! is all I can say so far ...
    Rob

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    No image displays in Firefox and Tapatalk 4. But now that I've quoted your message, I was able to see and thus copy/paste the image link into a new browser tab.... Nice image, btw. Just wish I didn't have to jump through hoops to see it. :eek:

11. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Rotated, cropped and focal zoom applied in Picasa, then tweaked colors and white / black / shadow in Lightroom. The focal zoom was used to add a sense of motion.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/a4DaTrdcjscj2UyVizH3otMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite"> Snowboarder. "279" width="800" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/StephenAGeis/PosrProcessingChallenge?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">Posr Processing Challenge</a></td></tr></table>

12. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    haven't done one of these in a while.

Wanted to see how far you could get with just the tools in Aperture

A lot of cloning and some gentle blurring, WB and here we are, along with the Adjustments panel in Aperture

P7100300mu43. Screen_Shot_2013-07-28_at_17_14_52.

K

13. bumsklumpen

bumsklumpen Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 18, 2013
    hey sorry about that, it was working with google chrome but i just discovered how to upload here. does it work for you now?

14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes it does. Thanks! :biggrin:

15. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Here's mine. Cropped and adjusted exposure, reduced sky luminance in LR5. Then took it into Photoshop where I made heavy use of the Patch and clone stamp tools. Back in LR5, vibrance +10.

Challenge 43 - Entry #1 by twokatmew, on Flickr

16. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Excellent Rob.
    Would make a great poster.
    Great use of the offset color.

17. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Excellent stuff everyone.
    A great image to start with and a lot of creativity and technical work.

18. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
  19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Here's my second entry. I ran my first edit through Topaz Clean and then cropped and played with hues and finally added a border in LR5. Consider this my "wild" entry. :biggrin:

Challenge 43 - Entry #2 by twokatmew, on Flickr

20. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    May I add a second WOW ! to what's being done ... :biggrin:
    Go wild by all means ..
    I'm going to get my Nephew to help me judge this now methinks ..
    Cheers Rob