1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #42 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by mnhoj, Jul 22, 2013.

1. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Hello everyone.
    PPC #42 will officially start at 9PM PST tonite July 22. Please feel free to post your entries at any time before then as well.
    The Challenge will conclude Thursday at 9PM PST.

Best of luck and have fun!
    9341390439_1895c2b448_b.

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/view/vnlkl7nap0m6p/mu43_challenge_%2342#">JPEG here</a>

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/download/dssn1x979ly58sq/P1020391.RW2">RAW here</a>

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Originally went hunting for a de-fishing app but couldn't find a suitable freeware one (not that I looked particularly hard).

Ended up focussing on the most interesting aspect of the image to me - the coloured sails and person sitting beneath them.

So in iPhoto - Enhance to lighten up the image, square crop around my area of focus, a bit of colour boost via the Saturation slider (to bring out the sail frames and sky), et voila . . .

Attached Files:

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    OK, when I first saw the contest photo I thought I would pass. I have just never understood the attraction of fish eye lenses.

But you guys seem to kind of have me hooked ... and now phigmov has said the word "defish." So, et voila aussi:

P1020391-EEE-Lores.

Lots of stuff done to this one between LR5 and Elements 11.

• Brightened highlights, darkend the dark stuff to widen the luminance spectrum of the photo.
    • Defished using the Sigma 8.5mm settings got enough distortion out that I could stand to proceed. :-(
    • Cropping gets rid of some more distorted elements and gets rid of the boring foreground.
    • Tried to straighten the pole in the middle but could not do it without tilting the horizon, which looked worse. Fish eye! grrr...
    • Gradient from the top increases saturation in the sky.
    • Radial gradient adds very slight vignetting to draw the viewer's eye to the colored sails.
    • Much fooling with overall saturation, plus red,yellow, and green HSL saturation and luminance sliders to make the sail frames snap. Green is not as snappy as I'd like but short of painting it I don't know what more to do.
    • Much fooling in Elements to simplify the sails and support structure. Got rid of a lot of clutter and most of the left hand post plus some of the rear post.

I still think it's a major flaw that the center post isn't vertical but I'm too lazy and probably too unskilled to spend an hour cutting it out, straightening it, and fussing to put it back into the photo. So, c'est fini aussi.

4. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    Even though the sky looked relatively clear and blue methinks it was a cold wet day so I made it look 'even more cold & wet' ...:smile:
    Desaturation, de-fishing, colour luminosity, vignetting, eye of frog, wing of bat and some hair of dog to finish on ..

P10203911.

5. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Nice. That desaturation and the wet foreground make me cold just looking at it. Hard to believe it started from the same file that my "summer day" version did!

7. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    No we're talkin!

Great stuff everyone.

8. billgreen

billgreen Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 4, 2012
    Herradura de Rivas, Costa Rica
    Bill Green
    ImageUploadedByMu-431374550803.858158.
    Snapseed, bw conversion, yellow filter, add structure, lighten outside, add frame

Sent from my iPad in Costa Rica (using Mu-43 mobile app)
    Images processed with Snapseed

9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
  10. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/9352983428/" title="20130720-mu43pp42-Edit.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr"> 9352983428_62b2348096_b. "1024" height="576" alt="20130720-mu43pp42-Edit.jpg"></a>

11. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Great additions.
    One more day.

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Here's mine. I've done so much to this image, I've lost track. Still not completely happy with it, but it's better than the attempts I tossed. :wink: Interesting image to work with.

Developed in LR5: cropped, changed hues, two gradient filters from top and bottom to reduce clarity and exposure. Desaturated and added a slight vignette.

Challenge 42 - Entry #1 by twokatmew, on Flickr

13. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Great job everyone!

Results tomorrow.
    Thanks.

14. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Thanks everyone for your time and efforts.
    This is very difficult. All of the entries were very unique and well done.

The second runner up goes to Margaret for her clean, balanced re-composition. This represents pretty closely the look of the moment in my eyes.
    The clues in the photo were a little misleading. The sky was clear looking west but to my back it was cloudy and gray.
    [​IMG]

The first runner up goes to justJim for his surreal, ultra dream like rendition. The color is effective and I really like the warping and blurring.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/9352983428/" title="20130720-mu43pp42-Edit.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr"> 9352983428_62b2348096_b. "1024" height="576" alt="20130720-mu43pp42-Edit.jpg"></a>

This challenge's winner is Rob(pod).
    The color and distance created by the defish completely represents the feel that I got from the hooded subject. It appears that it was just a relaxing morning
    but there was a stiffness and lack of movement that caught my attention as being odd and at at the same time told me to stay away. A feeling of solitude and sadness.

Although it could be all the special ingredients he added. :biggrin:
    Congratulations Rob!
    P10203911.

15. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    congrats to the winners!

16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Congrats to Rob and Jim! Thanks for the second runner-up, John! Looking forward to the next challenge. :biggrin:

17. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    All righty then ! :smile: Thanks John .. I'll have to re-read the rules to see what I have to do now .. :biggrin:
    It's was a nice image to work, multiple moods depending on interpretation ..

Cheers
    Rob