1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #41 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by oldracer, Jul 18, 2013.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    OK, my turn to start one of these I guess. We came across this guy as we were driving along a public road near the Timbavati area of Greater Kruger Park, South Africa. The shot, with some post processing, turned into one of my favorites from the trip. I'll wait to see what you guys do, then announce a winner and also post my version.

P1120601-lores.

JPG Version

RAW (Panny G1)

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    First in ...
    Some desaturation generally and split tone + sat for the oranges to get that dry bush look ..
    P1120601.

3. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    Great picture!!

9319171074_1fc1215a63_b. Oldracers photo by Joltinjess, on Flickr

Square crop
    Black and White
    Levels
    Darken background
    Sharpen
    I tried to treat it like a human portrait.

4. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
  5. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    9318890723_a7b913be3c_b.

LR to CS
    poorly executed mask
    gaussian blur
    inverse color backgroung layer
    CS to LR
    sepia
    neg exp brush
    crop
    export to flickr

6. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    ^^^ i like this one John!

7. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Thank you.

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    OK, time for a mid-contest bump!

Mediafire says the photo has had 15 downloads, so we should be seeing some more entries soon.

9. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    lol.. I DL almost everyone of these... complete very few. All LightRoom 5

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/9330005812/" title="20111113-mu43pp43.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr">"534" height="800" alt="20111113-mu43pp43.jpg"></a>

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Well, congratulations for breaking the bad habit! Recipe, please?

11. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Umm lots of stuff.

WB as shot
    exp +.10
    con +5

Highlights 3
    shadows 19
    blacks 43
    whites 20

clarity 11
    vibrance 20
    saturation -5

dropped the curve a touch on the lower 42%

HSL
    Saturation
    Orange 12
    yellow 9

Split toned the highlights
    55 and 10 a touch more yellowish

Split tones shadows
    207 and 5 a touch cyan

Sharpening
    13, .8, 13, 75

No lens corrections

Radial on center exposure inverted mask, saturation sharpenin and contrast bumped up, clarity minus 10

Radial center exposure -.4, highlights minus 100, clarity +11, saturation 94. sharpness -100 noise +100

12. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Great pic :smile:

Messing with snapseed but keeping it simple - square crop, seventies filter and one of the canned frames - going for a 70's safari feel.

Attached Files:

13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Developed in LR5.

4x5 crop. Adjusted WB to warm up, then used HSL hue slider to make the leaves more green and less yellow. Used a radial mask to darken, slightly desaturate and lower clarity on the background. Used an inverted radial mask to brighten the giraffe's face, increase saturation and add a little bit of clarity. Adjustment brush on the neck to slightly brighten what I missed with the inverted radial mask. :smile:

Challenge 41 - Entry #1 by twokatmew, on Flickr

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    OK, time's up!

Runner-up: To Just Jim for his unbelievably complicated recipe and for his finally submitting a photo to one of these!

Winner: I have to give the big stuffed teddy bear back to mnhoj for showing me a new trick with the Gaussian blur. I am relatively new to this post-processing game and I didn't realize what a great job that tool does in de-emphasizing the background. I am actually not too fond of the sepia but really like the way mnhoj has snapped Brutus out of the background.

9318890723_a7b913be3c_b.

Edit: I'll post my version and some more rationale tomorrow. I have a tight schedule tonight and don't have time. Sorry.

15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    OK, dinner guests running late ...

I think everyone's idea was to pick Brutus out of the background and to make the composition squarer. Me, too. Here's roughly what I did:

• Square crop
    • mask/select the background and reduce the exposure
    • mask/select Brutus' neck and lighten it up
    • bring up the overall exposure a bit
    • warm it a bit
    • add a subtle dark vignette. I find that I do this a lot -- never wanting the vignette to be really detectable but letting it draw the viewer's eye to the center. I will be interested to play with LR5's new mask tool for this as twokatmew did.

One of my goals here, and it is usually a goal for me, is to enhance the photo without taking it to the point where a non-photographer viewer would think there was anything odd or artificial-looking about it.

So here's my result:

P11206011.

Thanks, guys. I really learned from your techniques and will be paying more attention to this challenge in its future incarnations.

16. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Wow.
    Thank you very much.

Next challenge will post tomorrow.
    Hope to see you all there.

17. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012