Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #40 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by mnhoj, Jul 13, 2013.

1. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Let the games begin. :biggrin:
    Have fun everyone!

PST 6:45 July 13, 2013
    9278304159_3edb42cf3f_b.

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/view/6x2bd7dx0by26/mu_43_challenge_%2340#">JPEG here</a>

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/download/1f6b4d74ns1xpaw/P1010500.RW2">RAW here</a>

If you'd like a TIF or DNG please let me know.

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants
    The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Good fun playing with the perspective adjustment in Lightroom 5.....

pp40.

3. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
  4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    P1010500-Edit-Edit-Edit.

I have just started playing around Topaz B&W Effects. I also have a fondness for textures and somewhat abstract shapes. I would have framed the original photo so that I only captured the harsh geometric shapes, hence the heavy crop.

It was also interesting to see the various moire effects when I displayed the roughly 2K pixel square version at various magnifications on my monitor. This 768 square version shows much less, but still some, of this depending on displayed size.

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    ... or maybe:

P1010500-Edit-Edit-Edit-2.

6. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Great entries so far.

Took the 14mm right out of it Rob. Interesting and well done.

Nice cropping and processing Rhoy. I really like the dark mid day sky in the monotone.

I equally like the white skies o'racer. Creative cropping and a cool little play on the color of the smaller building. Moire is more. :biggrin:

7. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Almost time to call it.

Post your entries.

8. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Processed in Photoshop CC, B+W in SilverFX.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/9302922186/" title="20130621-mu43challenge as Smart Object-1-Edit.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr"> 9302922186_4a7643b284_c. "615" height="800" alt="20130621-mu43challenge as Smart Object-1-Edit.jpg"></a>

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Here is my take:

9300296923_8bd3eccdbd_b.
    2013-07_Skyline_DeeJayK by DeeJayK, on Flickr

Edit summary:
    1. Crop (obviously)
    2. Adjust levels
    3. Add saturation (particularly blue and yellow)

Second is almost exactly the same, but I added a bit of a vignette:

9303082010_cd23cd3eb3_b.
    2013-07_SkylineVignette_DeeJayK by DeeJayK, on Flickr

Personally, I like it better with the vignette, but I know that some people dislike that effect.

10. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Ok.
    All closed for entries.

Will have the results shortly.

Thanks to all who have participated.

11. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    And the winners are...

Thank you all for participating.
    I appreciate your time and energy.

Most honorable mention.
    Rob's perspective play. And the use of all six buildings. Really pumps up the skyline feel.
    pp40.

Co runners up.
    Rhoy and Jim for their monotone entries and dark skies. This is the way I interpreted the scene and processed quite a few from the set similarly.
    9281226905_b85a219db9_b.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/9302922186/" title="20130621-mu43challenge as Smart Object-1-Edit.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr"> 9302922186_4a7643b284_c. "615" height="800" alt="20130621-mu43challenge as Smart Object-1-Edit.jpg"></a>

Second place
    Keith's vignetted entry. Clean, saturated color.
    9303082010_cd23cd3eb3_b.

First place
    Oldracers color version.
    The white sky, the simple construct, and the posterized color on the smaller building were so far from what I was expecting.
    A wonderful surprise.
    Congratulations!
    P1010500-Edit-Edit-Edit-2.

12. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    congrats to oldracer! let's get the new one going :)

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Second place!?!? I'm flattered. As I looked at my entry on my phone, it appears I may have overdone the staturation -- I really need to color calibrate my monitor.

Congrats to oldracer!

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Thanks, gents. I'll admit that I didn't read the rules very carefully, but I do see that I am on deck for the next one. I have an idea for a photo, much different than the one mnhoj chose. I'll get it going in the next couple of days.

Reading the rules, I see that I was supposed to post the recipe for the photo. Roughly:

• Opened in Lightroom and cropped.
    • Knowing that I would be knocking out the sky I applied a slight gradient from the right to lighten the right had portion of the sky and make selection a little easier.
    • TIFF to Elements, used the Magic Wand to select the sky, filled with white and touched up a few unselected bits with a white brush.
    • Back to Lightroom (my preferred environment) and fiddled with the upper right corner of the tone curve to brighten up the window frames without bringing up the light blue windows. The goal was to increase contrast, emphasizing the texture that was there by a little bit.
    • At that point I was pretty much done, but the red building face was kind of mottled and uneven. Distracting. So, back to Elements & the Magic Wand to select the building face. Grabbed one of the building face colors and filled.
    That's it. I actually am not fond of the red bulding's face in either my B&W or my color version. In the B&W it is even more distracting than the color one was before I fixed it. In the color one, the complete absence of texture looks phoney to me. Had I take more time I probably would have tried to even out the color without completely wiping out all texture.

15. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I had similar texture issues with the red building. I brought it back in Silver FX with the fine structure slider. Which can be done in color fx. I'm sure it can be done quite well in PS, if not better, but one click in Nik is so easy.

Good Job all, I enjoyed the change of pace to the architectural genre. And seeing a it so stupidly hot here, sitting in front of the AC was certainly nice, and more fun then TV.

16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Congrats all! I'm sorry I wasn't able to participate. Interesting image to work with, I just ran out of time. :frown:

Looking forward to the next challenge!