Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge 2

Real Name
Nic
Thanks for providing the image, Vin.

Some fairly basic processing here on my part. I borrowed my custom Adobe Lightroom raw conversion profile for the GH1, ran my standard custom b&w conversion filter in Nik Silver Efex, adjusted the tone curve to pull the darkest areas down slightly and raise the midtones, and then did a minor noise reduction in Nik Dfine. I also cropped it to my preferred 3:2 landscape ratio and to remove some edge elements.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The emphasis in the image of the light patterns and textures on the floor is why I felt black and white was an appropriate way to highlight that.

Amin Sabet

Administrator

Rotate, crop, contrast, clarity, vignetting, grain.

Al.

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alan
I finally managed to download the file (I am useless with computers)

1st attempt with lightroom went for a sepia retro look

then with the i-pad did some 'toast' effects working on more desaturation

clockwise

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Brian R
I wanted to draw the eye down the aisle in the center of the image, bring out the grain of the hardwood floor and the shapes of the spots of light.

If anybody's interested in how I processed this, it's as follows:

ACR:
Recovery: 13
Eyedropper: Adjust WB
Brightness: +120
Recovery: 17
Sharpening: 0
Luminance: Reds +33, Oranges +28, Aquas -25, Blues -29
Open in CS5: ProPhoto RGB, 16 bit

PixelGenius PhotoKit Sharpener for capture sharpening
Curves Adjustment Layer to brighten highlights, mask out everything but aisle and wall at the end. Reduce opacity to 70%
Curves Layer to darken midtowns, mask out chairs and tables, reduce opacity to 52%
Open in Silver Efex Pro 2
Preset: Full Dynamic (Harsh)
Add Control Points down aisle, link and brighten, increase contrast and structure slightly
Back to CS5
Lens Correction > Vignette -9
Flatten Image
Lasso Tool to select wine glass on top left, delete, Content-Aware Fill
Edit > Resize Image to 512 in length
Convert to sRGB
PixelGenius PhotoKit Sharpener for output sharpening
Save as high-quality jpeg

Mr Moo

Rocket builder, collector of vintage air guitars
Real Name
Mike
My intent was to make a warm, moody, almost dream-like image by emphasizing the incoming light.

Imported image into LR4, applied Nicole S. Young's "Half-Life" preset.

Opened in Perfect Effects 4 (OnOne software), applied 2 effects, "Orton Hears a Who" (glow & darkening) and "Havana" (additional warmth).

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Great Idea...

A little divided on this one... I'm not one to submit heavily processed images but this image which
- doesn't have an obvious subject
- most of the image is beyond the DOF
- brings the viewer's eyes towards the lower left (only sharp area) rather than towards the center as most perspective photos do

kinda pushes one towards experimentation with post processing in order to make "something" of photo.

So my first submission is more focused on something more subtle/realistic representation of the actual area... something the photo does have which is subtle colors and temperatures. Top half I pulled more of the blue hues offset by the pinks in the flowers on the tables. The bottom half, I brought the warmth of the light out. Selectively sharpening to keep the viewers eyes towards the bottom warmth "making" the light the defacto subject. Selectively added a touch of softness to the already out of focus top half. Oh.. Also cropped out the bit of glass at the top left of the frame.

Second one... well.. A couple contrast based filters and bleech processing.

Lightroom 3 for basics
Selective stuff done in Nik Viveza, Sharpener Pro, and Color Efex 3.0

Attachments

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Here's my entries, tried for a B&W first using Silver Efex.

Settings
Started with "Wet Rocks" preset
Contrast: +10
Structure: +42
Brightness: + 12
Vignetting: Lens Falloff #1, @ -5
Grain: 444, set slightly harder than default

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30940068@N02/8301279039/" title="PP Challenge #2 - B&amp;W by jloden, on Flickr">
"800" height="600" alt="PP Challenge #2 - B&amp;W"></a>

Color version, processed in LR 4

Settings
Highlights: +25
Clarity: +85
Temp: 4796K
Blacks: -12
Vibrance: +25
Saturation: -16
Vignetting: -3
Sharpening: Amount = 50, Detail = 30
Adjusted Tone Curve

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30940068@N02/8302332346/" title="PP Challenge #2 - Color by jloden, on Flickr">
"800" height="600" alt="PP Challenge #2 - Color"></a>

Vincen77o

Mu-43 Regular
Originally PP LR3.5 as colour. This removed some colour fringing on the chrome. I went for a realistically bright image to reflect the sunlight streaming in. This was finalised in Photoshop where I also removed the plastic thingy on the floor and a small light flare just above it. The 'monochrome' image was created by turning down the saturation on all colours except the Red channel, and tweaking the other colours fractionally.

P1280508-3 by Vincen77o, on Flickr

P1280508-4 by Vincen77o, on Flickr

The Minimalist

Mu-43 Veteran
I wanted the floor to look natural with warmth and the chairs as clinical as possible without making the overall picture looking cold.
Both processed in Lightroom 4.

1st Entry
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/42234769@N08/8304443414/" title="1-entry 1 (1 of 1) by Darren B1, on Flickr">View attachment 247655"1024" height="770" alt="1-entry 1 (1 of 1)"></a>

Temperature -21, Exposure +24, Contrast +55, shadows -48, Whites +40, Blacks -55, Clarity +50, Vibrance +17, sharpening 50, Yellow Saturation +62.

Entry 2
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/42234769@N08/8303391397/" title="1-entry 2 (1 of 1) by Darren B1, on Flickr">View attachment 247656"1024" height="770" alt="1-entry 2 (1 of 1)"></

Tint +100, contrast +50, Hightlights -57, Shadows -71, Whites +60, Blacks -69, Clarity +71
Curves:- Hightlights -88, Darks _36, Shadows-68
Sharpening 55

KVG

Banned User
Real Name
Kelly Gibbons
Something bad is about to go down!

Messed with the white balance, contrast, and added vignetting, then denoised a little pulled saturation and framed.

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
Thought I would give this thread a bump...

...added soft contrast to reduce the image to the bare essentials...

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
I don't know what I got myself into, caus this contest is near impossible to judge! Absolutely fantastic entries from everyone.

I will pick a winner tomorrow and pass off this burden. :redface:

dtchan

Mu-43 Veteran
Just cropped and applied one of the LR filters.

EasyEd

Mu-43 Regular
Hey All,

Don't recall exactly what all I did. Although I did do a rainbow light filter to change the lighting a bit and a preset HDR with other fiddling including exposure, resize and sharpen. Looking for grain and tone mapping contrast. I've always thought that processing of some images in this way is a good way to bring some of the elements of black and white into colour images.

-Ed-

Attachments

redalien

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tamas

I changed the clock to 6pm and made the room look warm.

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hey All,

Don't recall exactly what all I did. Although I did do a rainbow light filter to change the lighting a bit and a preset HDR with other fiddling including exposure, re-size and sharpen. Looking for grain and tone mapping contrast. I've always thought that processing of some images in this way is a good way to bring some of the elements of black and white into color images.

-Ed-
Ed , I absolutely love what you did here.
I have no idea what a "rainbow light filter" is or where I would find it in Photoshop CS5 or LightRoom 3. Also tone mapping contrast is another phrase I do not know, is it the same as just adjusting the Contrast levels?

Thank you ,
Dan

EasyEd

Mu-43 Regular
Hey All,

Ed , I absolutely love what you did here.
I have no idea what a "rainbow light filter" is or where I would find it in Photoshop CS5 or LightRoom 3. Also tone mapping contrast is another phrase I do not know, is it the same as just adjusting the Contrast levels?

Thank you ,
Dan
I misspoke a little in what I wrote about what I did. It was actually one of the rainbow lights in the club lights filter in Fhotoroom HDR available at this site.

Fhotoroom HDR | Fhotoroom

That link shows some of what the program can do. One important ability the program has that is not mentioned is the ability to combine layers through brushes or erasers. It does have all the lasso tools as well however they are not as intelligent as those in photoshop. I'm not sure everything works exactly right or it is operator error (more likely) :redface:. It is also kind of clunky at times but still very powerful.

HDR is actually just combining of layers - hdr has absolutely nothing to do with "wild" colorization - that is tone mapping. This product has several (7?) default tone mapping schemes all customizable. You can tone map single images. I used one of the 7 - grunge I think and customized it within and outside (exposure, curves and such) the hdr "module".

All that said it is only $45.50 US and has all that it does. I have no affiliation with the product other than being a happy user who hasn't found a reason to justify the expense (what like 10 times the cost of this program?) CS6 or some such.

I tried for a bit to "save" the red of the flowers on the right but I could never get them to "look right" as they turned into blobs when I erased one layer to another. I'm thinking now that I should have done that before resizing instead of trying to do it after - maybe it would have worked.

Anyway a fun exercise and I look forward to more of these kinds of exercises as I think "post" is extremely important in this digital day and age.

Thank You for your kind words!

-Ed-

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom