Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #13

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by savvy, Feb 21, 2013.

1. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Time for the next PP Challenge.

RAW->JPEG No PP
    8463941385_48f16e48d3_b.

I took this, with a few others, on a bright cold crisp day last December, of the flooded Saltmarshes down by where we do our boating. It very rarely floods to this level.

I was fairly happy with how I eventually PP'd it (I won't post this yet, I'll put it up after the contest closes), posted it up to a few places and got the following (summarised) comments :-

"Im reaaaaaally digging that first one, a landscape with the feeling of a portrait!!"
    "Very Wall-worthy imo."
    but also these:-
    "you have presented my eye with a barrier, it's the 'hedgerow' in the front (don't know it's real name!) this causes my eye to stumble through what is otherwise a very pleasing scene."
    "Very nice landscape, but there is little interest in the sky"

I really wanted to get this printed up large, maybe on canvas, to make a vibrant wall-hanging in my home office, as we enjoy it down on the boat at the river, but haven't.

What would you do with it to make it into a special wall-hanging? I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can do with it, conventional or unconventional, and I then just may at last get it printed.

Good Luck !!

Download link to RAW file
    Mu-43 PP#13 SaltMarsh RAW at Zippyshare.com

Download link to unprocessed Original size JPEG for non-RAW PP'ers
    Mu-43 PP#13 SaltMarsh NoPP JPEG at Zippyshare.com

Winner shall be announced on or shortly after 12 Noon, Sunday 24th February (GMT)

Mu-43 PP Challenge Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

PP Challenge Rules Template here :-
    https://www.mu-43.com/f48/mu-43-pos...-criteria-discussion-thread-39477/#post384244

• Like Like x 7
  2. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    Challenge_No_13_saturated_copy. Basic LR4 processing
    Cloned and healed out the grasses in the front corner for a more unobstructed photo.

• Like Like x 3
  3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I cropped out the grass in the lower left corner which also let me reduce the size of the water area there which I felt reduced the distraction in the bottom of the frame. I wanted to keep the bottom line of grass, however, and I wanted some of the water at the bottom of the frame for context.

Apart from that I raised the highlights, shadows and whites and lowered the blacks, kind of a HDR approach, plus used a gradient filter on the sky and on the water in the bottom left corner, plus I tinkered with the saturation of the orange/yellow/green channels to make the grass look a little greener. Don't know what the actual colour of the grass was like but I thought having it look a little less brown helped. Apart from that I also made a small white balance adjustment based on the building and did my standard "remove chromatic aberration" click, added a bit of clarity and did some sharpening plus used the medium contrast curve option, all in LR4.

201212_SaltMarshes_006-10.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i can EASILY see most people hating these, so i wont be offended if anyone throws out any less than loving comments.. lol! :) but i love em!

here is as close to "dont over eliot it" that my brain would allow... lol

201212_SaltMarshes_006-10_zps7bc8161c.

and a more ME one, lol

201212_SaltMarshes_006-10_HDR_zpsb6480791.

both are heavy glamor glow
    color stylizer
    and the bi color filter

darn, just noticed i forgot to straighten that like .01% or whatever... oh well!

----

jack, i like urs
    if i were going for something pretty realistic but spruced up a bit, i can see going with that, mebbe a tad warmer tones in the grasses... but i like that for a realistic look!

• Like Like x 3
  5. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I love both Eliot!

• Like Like x 1
  6. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    • Like Like x 2
  7. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Thanks! I like the b&w u did. And I know why they went, but I miss the grasses. The building itself, which is the focus, looks great b&w tho!

• Like Like x 1
  9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I love the first one!

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

• Like Like x 1
  10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Oh I love how large th building is there!

Thnx twokatmew! Where's yers?? :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    201212_SaltMarshes_006-101.
    I'm from the PNW, everything is gloomy.

• Like Like x 3
  13. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Just a reminder that this challenge will be closing at noon (GMT) tomorrow, in case anyone else wants to have a go.

Great entries so far, guys, thanks for participating :2thumbs:

Rgds.

Les.

• Like Like x 1
  15. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Les before you close the gate i would like to post my two tries.
    Both of them in 16:9, i did not like the pond and the bottom of the bushes therefore i have decided to crop them.
    I have added intensity to both pictures and extra details at the bushes. For the sky I have added ND filter while adding some light on the building and the reflection.

201212_SaltMarshes_006-10-Edit.

201212_SaltMarshes_006-10-Edit-2.

• Like Like x 3
  16. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    201212_SaltMarshes_006-102.

201212_SaltMarshes_006-10-Edit1.

• Like Like x 1
  17. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Very fun image to work on - lots of possibilities with this one.

Here's my entry - all PP done in LR 4. Basic adjustments to exposure, highlights/shadows, clarity and white balance. Did a few adjustment brushes to bring out some colors and shadows a bit more, and added vignetting. Cropped to 16x9. Added the border in Picasa.

mu43%20challenge%2013-1a-X2.

• Like Like x 2
  18. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Hopefully these aren't too bad. Pretty much just started doing PPing.

On 1 I did some adjustments to the tone curve and messed with hue saturation and luminance to get the purplish blue sky and get the grass a little greener. Added some contrast clarity and vibrance. Added a gradient to drop the exposure a bit to darken the top up and added a little more clarity. Also used the adjustment brush on the building to lighten it up and sharpen it up.

2 I did an attempt at infrared and softened it up on the clarity slider some and added some grain effect to it.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/woody112704/8501195021/" title="contest by woody112704, on Flickr"> 8501195021_4b8d88757f_b. "1024" height="558" alt="contest"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/woody112704/8502301846/" title="Infrared by woody112704, on Flickr"> 8502301846_b334096ac8_b. "1024" height="973" alt="Infrared"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  19. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Halfway through a growler... Can't wait to see what this looks like in the morning.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/8502462748/" title="20121216-201212_SaltMarshes_006-10 as Smart Object-1-Edit.jpg by slimmerjim, on Flickr"> 8502462748_4f88bd89aa_c. "800" height="450" alt="20121216-201212_SaltMarshes_006-10 as Smart Object-1-Edit.jpg"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  20. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    Second Entry– Night Version

Here is my second entry:

Challenge_No_13_NIGHT_copy.

Tried to make it look like it was taken at night or in the wee hours of the morning when a bit of light is poking through.
    Used more LR4 processing over my original edit, including more ND filters and brushing to keep certain details alight and others more night-like.

• Like Like x 1