Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #115 (72 hours) - changing things up

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by robbie36, Aug 11, 2014.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok, I unilaterally decided to change things up a bit in this challenge. It isnt because I am a rebel but I thought as we havent had many entries in the last few challenges it isnt going to upset too many people and it might encourage (out of curiosity) others to enter. Well, also I havent taken many publishable pics with my N43 gear over the past 2 weeks.

So this week I am posting files from my a7r....

It is not a very good file.... the shot is underexposed by about 2 stops....

Here is a jpeg taken unedited from the raw file....

115_1_of_1_.

The download has the original 'RAW' and the camera generated 'jpeg'. Not ideal for 'jpeg' shooters who dont go around underexposing their images by 2 stops. Still I thought give you the original jpeg rather than create one.

Raw + Jpeg download..... https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3B6E485CB7E377BC!2969&authkey=!AEVIiKBQsY4GWLE&ithint=folder,

The competition will end midnight (mu-43.com) on Wednesday.

The Rules: (Not that I paid much attention to them.)

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.
    For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****
    At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.
    Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Rob, I've seen the excellent job you did on this photo in another thread. Having that image in my head is making this difficult, but here goes:
    image299.
    I did a little tighter crop, eliminating the wheel on the lower right that I found a little distracting. This also moved the post further from the center and, I think, gives more emphasis to the people in the shot.....who are amazing btw.

I tried a little HDR to bring out detail in the shadows, but muted the overall color because a shop like this is a dirty, grimy kind of place and, with the exception of the paint on the bikes shouldn't be too colorful.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Deleted

• Like Like x 1
  5. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    I deleted my second(B&W) entry and am replacing it with this:
    image301.
    After some additional tinkering to my B&W image, I prefer this version. Brightened the center somewhat, did some sharpening to create some "grit" and added a little tint for a more "old school" look.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Two different interpretations of this picture. Preliminary work in Adobe Camera Raw: improving exposure, a hefty dose of "Clarity", removing lens artifacts and straightening.
    Then nik HDR Efex Pro tone mapping and ColorEfexPro>Darken/Lighten for the first impression, followed by Topaz Simplify for the second impression.

• Like Like x 5
  7. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I did some levels and curve adjustments then ran a Sin City preset in Aperture 3. I then opened it in PS and ran the Radiant People Action from the Kubota Tools collection.
    14872639416_4fd9f9a524_b. Garage by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

Converted the above image to BW using Kubota Tools
    14709151327_f7b5ddc07f_b. Biker Garage by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Just 6 hours left to go. It would be great to have a few more entries.

9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok. results...

Many thanks to all those who entered and I hope I didnt irritate anyone too much with the A7r photo.

3rd dbuckle with his color rendition
    runnerup Livnius with his B+W
    Winner Scotsman with his B+W rendition. I liked the even tone and it seemed the tone matched my perception of the tone of the photo I was trying to take.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Nice one Dave....and thanks Rob.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Thank you, Rob. It was a pleasure to work on this image.

Your photo hits home with me, as I'm an avid motorcyclist and have been for most of my life. I've even owned a Ducati Monster, similar to the one pictured.

The garage/shop reminds me a lot of the service area of many old "mom & pop" motorcycle dealers that, unfortunately, don't really exist any longer in the U.S. As for the persons in the photo....the posing and their expressions are inspired! (Great idea btw, having the girl on the right show her back to the camera exposing her amazing tattoo)

Coincidentally enough, I'm on a m/c trip right now. I'm in the U.S. state of West Virginia at present and will be riding through parts of Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee in search of the best "twisties" the area has to offer......and there's a lot to choose from!

As I only have my iPad Mini with me, I would appreciate it if Livnius, as runner-up, would submit the image for the next challenge.

12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Cheers Dave. I'll get onto it. Stay tuned.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Dodging/burning (ACR), and local color selective desaturation (PS CS6).

DSC0245_copy.

Nice flexibility in the file, btw. This is the first A7 file I have taken a serious look at, but... nice.

14. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

And now I see that I entered after the closure date. I always edit first and then look at the other entries.

Oh well, congrats Scotsman.