1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #113 (72 hours)

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by robbie36, Aug 2, 2014.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok, I am a little creatively challenged today as I have been fiddling with some non-M43 gear. However, here I have a portrait that I never processed but thought had some potential. So go for it.

The challenge will end mid day Wednesday - Mu-43.com time.

https://www.hightail.com/download/ZUcwZHlseWF5UkdHR3NUQw

Both jpeg and raw files in the download....

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Beautiful lady. Let's hope I did her justice with my interpretation of this picture.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Bumpity....

4. Kind of sl-o-o-o-o-ow around here....

5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Great pic ! Hopefully it'll bring in more contestants.

Both tweaked in Aperture. First rotated, straightened and cropped in tight with ColourFX portrait softening. Second is cropped, straightened and a Hammer House filter applied and exposure tweaked to reduce some of the filters blown-highlights in the skin-tones.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    A couple of efforts from me, I've not tried many portraits so any feedback would be most welcome

1zvso4o.

11smurs.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    the weekend is always slow for these... no time. I'll see if I can crack one out tomorrow. I love these when I have the time.

8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Not long to go. A few more entries would be good......

9. Playing with Topaz Simplify/WaterColor filter...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  10. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  11. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    very good picture! congrats!!

color:
    Photo_taken_by_Robbie36_over_at_Mu-43_com_color.

black and white:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Decided to go subtle with this one. All in Lr5

entry 1:

Slight alteration to the crop. Opened up shadows and brought down highlights. Some minor skin softening and retouching. A little clarity around the eyes and brows. Enhanced the jeans.

entry 2:

Close crop with negative space. + Contrast +Clarity to face and hair. Added fine grain texture. Blurred background highlights.

• Like Like x 2
  13. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok. There is still 12 hours to go. Still time for a last minute entry.

14. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Whhhooooosh
    14842312334_15acf18b5a_c. m43113 by slimmerjim, on Flickr

All work in PS. ACR to bring in the histogram for a workable file, lowered contrast, brought up Black point, lowered highlights.

Hand colored skin tones in the arm, curves for D&B. Curves -blue, and +red for background warmth. usual heal brush, sharpen hair, touch of blur to skin. If I had more time I would have fixed/enhanced make up around eyes and some more detailed smoothing.

• Like Like x 3
  15. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok. Results.

3rd place goes to Scotsman for his oil painted version that I thought worked pretty well except for the fact it apparently gave her a beard.
    Runner-up goes to Just Jim. I liked the fact he added a bit of color to the background and felt it gave the photo a more natural feel.
    Winner is Phigmov no.1. A horizantal flip of the photo worked really well for me. I also liked the fact you didnt crop too tight and kept the curve of her back

• Like Like x 5
  16. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Thanks Rob, its going to be tough finding something as nice as your picture !

Will go through my pics and see what I can find.

• Like Like x 2