1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #110 (72 hours) - nice image

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by robbie36, Jul 17, 2014.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok we need a few more entrants for this post processing image, so I have post a really nice image for you. The shot is in focus, it is pretty well exposed and the girl is cute. So go for it.

The jpeg and RAW are both in this file

https://www.hightail.com/download/ZUcwTkZ0R0Y5RmFLRmNUQw

7116669-2.

Closes Saturday at midnight. Results Sunday morning

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.
    For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****
    At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.
    Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by xxxxxx over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread

• Like Like x 4
  2. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Excited for this one! Great pic Robbie.

LR
    Crop to 8x10
    Cool down temp
    Lightened skin (+ EXP, - Highlights)
    Added Shadow
    Soften skin
    -20 Saturation
    +20 Vibrance
    Lightened eyes

PS
    Added white bg
    removed skin blemishes
    removed unwanted strands of hair
    Added shadows again

Final BW Adj in Topaz Labs

• Like Like x 3
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    As usual for me all done in Aperture and Aperture only

a lot of repair/cloning,mainly to remove blemishes/ stray hairs and second highlight in the eyes. Hair removal on the right side could have done with a little more attention
    A light touch with the skin smoothing brush.
    Some dodging to the eyes and the hair.
    Some tweaking of light and dark points for each of the RGB curves

This is not my area of expertise by any shot so i would be interested in comments from those more experienced

* 7116669_1_.

K

• Like Like x 6
  4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    • Like Like x 5
  5. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    Portraits are risky to pp, you can easily go over the edge.
    Here I used the usual stuff (clone, dodge, levels...), with a touch of liquify to narrow the neck and some subtle touches here and there.

14492617607_ce4fbac728_c.

• Like Like x 4
  6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Good stuff. Keep them coming....

7. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Entry#1
    All in Lr:
    Crop
    Cleaning up and evening of skin tones and stray hairs
    Gave a slight squinch to the eyes and slight smile

PPC #110 by criddlenation

• Like Like x 5
  10. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Nice photo and nice model indeed. I went slightly overboard and did a full frequency separated retouch in Photoshop. No filters/add-ons/tricks, but the full manual painterly job.

7116669_copy_2.
    For a nice intro on frequency separation, see e.g.http://www.fx-ray.com/tutorials/skinretouching/?no.

And to give you an idea of the detail preserved by doing this while still removing all blemishes, this is a 100% crop:

7116669_crop.

And now I want a Nocticron even more...

• Like Like x 4
  11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Interesting comments.

I have watched that video at least 6 times although it is a while back. I use the action he gives away on all my retouching. However, I generally only use the 'high frequency' layer to retouch blemishes. I then generally use a plugin 'portraiture' which is also based on frequency separation to adjust the 'low frequency' layer. This is far quicker and requires far less skill if you ask me.

And you are right about the Nocticron. I bought it to shoot at f1.2 but stopped down it resolves incredible detail.

12. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I used to do all my portrait retouching based on techniques from the book by Katrin Eismann. Frequency separation is not in there, and I have trained myself in getting the job done without it (and gettiing pretty fast at it). Only a few months ago I learned about it and it is very powerful in the sense that the risk that you screw up the texture while correcting for color or shading is eliminated. I have always hesitated to try software like "portrait professional" because of the over the top advertising and my fear of losing control over the result. I don't know "portraiture". How does it handle the boundary between skin and hair?

I have the PL45, mainly for the macro capability (underrated imho, this is the only macro lens on almost any system I know of, that has negligible longitudinal CA). It is very much OK for portraiture, but the Nocticron is in a special diffraction limited apochromatic universe. On top of that, it it is supposed to be a killer combination for focusing speed with the GH4 as well (on order).

13. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    'Portrait professional' is an abomination of course. Portraiture is a really great bit of software although you need to own photoshop to get the best out of it (so you can control the opacity of the layer). It will save you a bunch of time. As it is based on frequency separation it separates detail from tone and gives you control over both. So in effect you can do whatever you like with a hair on someones face. But really you should download a 30 day trial and test it. But be warned it is US$200.

14. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    You should try Portrait "Professional" just for grins. It is disturbing what it can do to a face. Horror movies aren't as bad that... thing, it creates. Imogenomics Portraiture is an amazing product, not quite worth the $200 imo, but it is quite tempting at times.

15. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Imported into Olympus viewer 3 and selected I-enhance and exported it as a tiff file.
    Import the tiff file into LR4
    Cropped to 4/3 portrait format.
    + exposure,
    - contrast, highlights, whites, blacks and clarity
    Enhance the irises with the graduation tool and cloned some imperfections.

[​IMG]colour by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

After saving the colour version, I selected b&w in LR4.
    + whites
    - blacks even further
    added a small amount of split toning.

b&w by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  16. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Shoot, really wanted to try my hand at this one but my week's been just too busy. Looks like fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

17. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok less than a day to go. Keep them coming.....

18. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    PPC #110 entry 2 by criddlenation

2nd entry:

Started off from my entry 1 for crop and edits to do b&w conversion.
    Increased contrast and selective dodging, burning and clarity to lead the eye around the frame.

• Like Like x 3
  19. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 4
  20. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Sorry to be a bit late in judging this one - I am travelling at the moment. Tapping away on an iPad.

I thought all the entries were pretty good. No one decimated her. I did think 3 of the entries were excellent and could have picked any one of them as a winner. But...

3rd. Kevin Paris. Liked the second catchlight removal (even though I deliberately put it in when I shot it.
    2nd Conrad. Good job on the frequency separation
    Winner. Esneft

Thanks to all those who took part. Good to see a couple of new faces.

• Like Like x 4