1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge #11

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by tdekany, Feb 9, 2013.

1. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Good evening everyone!

Thank you again, hazwing for choosing my picture as the winner in challenge #10

Since I have never uploaded a raw file before, it took me a while to figure it out, but I think I managed.

Here is my example

PA170021.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

Since we moved out to Oregon I almost always end up taking nature pictures, so it is appropriate that I would provide a scenic example. This was taken on our way to Mt St Adams several months ago on a very beautiful day. I can tell you, that we had a wonderful time. Every time I look at this picture, it brings back some wonderful memories for me. OK! Lets see what you can do! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Jpeg file

https://www.yousendit.com/download/UW16aUNFdGo4aU5sQXNUQw

Raw file

https://www.yousendit.com/download/UW16aUNFdGpsamVFQk1UQw

I will announce the the finalists on Tuesday 2.13.2013. morning, which gives you 3 days to enter the challenge

Mu-43 Post Processing Challenge Rules

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo, and taken with m4/3 equipment. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge. Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next challenger/judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

Entrants

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry)

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

• Like Like x 3
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Nice shot, I look forward to playing around with it.

Btw for those who are having issues opening it, you might need to rename it. Add a '.' infront of the ORF

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thank you!

'.' - can you explain why? Did you have any issues?

4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    well initially lightroom didn't find the file on desktop, because it didn't have a photo file suffix (e.g. .jpg, .orf, .cr2, .tiff, etc). The period/full stop is needed to identify the the file suffix (in this case orf).

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Here's my first attempt... maybe a tad overdone, but I'll have another crack at it later. All in lightroom. A lot brushes. Messing around with HSL to bring out some contrasting orange, red, green colours. Took a bit of playing around to avoid the grass from being overly red.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've just been reading on how to do infra-red style processing in Lightroom so here's my take on that, with a bit of crop and a gradient filter to stop the mountain from totally disappearing:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  7. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    PP_11_1staticantics.
    Cropped 16:9
    Gradient on Sky
    Upped expose a tad, upped contrast
    Brought down highlights.
    Added feathered gradient on sky to bring in a balance.

• Like Like x 4
  8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Fixed it, you may need to get the new raw file if you already download it. Thanks for your help.

9. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I cannot open this file in photoshop or LR. The file extension is .org but nothing is working.

10. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    • Like Like x 3
  11. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    It needs to be .ORF not .ORG

• Like Like x 1
  12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Lol, I'll have time for this one... I hav over 2 feet of New England snow sitting outside of my door. My weekend schedule has just lightened up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    8459005222_bf82071853_b.
    Mu-43_PP#11-1 by savvy249, on Flickr

All in LR4
    Cropped
    WB : Temp 7500, Tint +1
    Exposure : +0.80
    Contrast : -15
    Highlights : -39
    Shadows : +39
    Whites : +12
    Blacks : -35
    Clarity : +30
    Vibrance : +35
    Saturation : +20

Hue : Orange -18, Yellow -36
    Saturation : Orange +19, Yellow +7

Graduated Filter on Sky : Exp -2.00, Contrast +100, Clarity +100, Saturation +100, Sharpness +16

Adjustment Brushes :-
    On mid-distance trees to slightly darken : Exp -1.00
    On Grass to green up slightly : Tint -100, Contrast +30, Clarity +20, Saturation +30
    On Smaller tree on right to "autumnise" it : Temp +48, Tint +100, Contrast +30, Clarity +20, Saturation +30, Colour Orange/Ochre

Export with LRMogrify2 plugin with basic sharpening for screen plus outer border at 100% opacity, and inner border with 50% opacity, and another 2px white border.

• Like Like x 3
  14. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    First time trying one of these. Most of this was done in LR, with the frame added in Picasa.

43%20challenge%20mt%20st%20adams-1-X2.

• Like Like x 2
  15. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  16. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    This challenge has a nice raw file. The exposure was perfect.

MU-43_PP_11_PA170021_darktable.

I chose to emphasis the two trees, and have the mountain and clouds be more subtle presences. Instead of making everything visible at once, I thought it would be nice if the mountain was a surprise for someone giving the image a second glance.

As far as fixing things, I burned down the high value cloud in the upper left, and use a bit of keystone distortion to remove the road without loosing the dirt or grasses to a rectangular crop. Having a diagonal in the foreground was distracting, making the image a bit unbalanced in a tilting way. Hence the somewhat extreme keystone "fix".

I've been playing with rectangular vignettes. This one is actually two vignettes on top of each other, one rectangular, and one circular, in order to pull down the corners a touch more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked at my first try (the image above) on an uncalibrated display and decided the image there looked too saturated and too muted. The sky was too blue, and the mountain too gone. So this version corrects that, as well as boosting the local contrast in the roof area and the pine tree forest, both of which got more interesting (IMO) after that treatment.

MU-43_PP_11_PA170021_darktable_05.

• Like Like x 3
  17. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Any luck?

18. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Hi Tdekany,

No luck. I have tried everything but the file will not open in CS6 or LR 4.1. The JPG will open but I wanted to have a crack at the RAW file. No problems, there is always next time.

Not sure what is going on with my PC at present. It seems to be my month of having PC dramas. I purchased a new Asus laptop only to have the LCD die within the first 3 weeks. The other Acer laptop will not open this file.

I never had so many dramas with computers since I moved back to windows (10 years with Macs, I should have known better). The irony is that I am typing this on a 1st generation iPad that has never had a drama.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having.

If I e mailed you the raw picture, would that help?

20. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks, but I think the problem is at my end. If others are able to access the file, it most probably means something is not 100% with my gear. I am able to download the file and it shows as an ORF. When I check the details of the file it shows the parent program to be CS6 which is the same as the other RAW files I have. Unfortunately CS6 will not open this particular file.

I have an upgrade to LR 4.3. I may run that tonight and then try again. Yesterday I moved my whole LR library to an external HD, so this may have something to do with the issues. The move appeared to work seemlessly, but maybe there is an underlying issue.

• Like Like x 1