COMPLETED: Mu-43 Monthly Photo Contest for June 2020 Contest Topic : The Writing on the Wall

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Circumstances have decided that I, Will Focus, will be your host for this month's (June 2020) Photo Contest. In order avoid any controversy Please, Please, Please read ALL of the following rules for this contest. I didn't make them up, they have been written and amended by The Founders and may only be changed by an act of Congress. (or a casual email) I will sit out competing in this contest but will monitor it and be available for any questions or concerns, as well as tallying the votes at the end.

This month's topic will be "The Writing on the Wall". You may interpret that in any number of ways, from graffiti to signs or advertising on buildings. Directive signs or instructions may also be presented. (ie: No Guns, Knives or Marshmallows) (( That was a real sign I saw some years back at a concert venue that I would have a picture of but I had to leave my camera in the car because those weren't allowed either))

Anyway, I hope you get the gist of it. Have fun. Shoot a lot of images and post your best here.

Ok, that's about it, read the rules and ready, set, Gooooooooooooooooo !

P7212108.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The above image is for basic reference and not for contest scoring consideration.

Rules:

1. The image must be taken within the contest month; the date the photo was taken must be stated in the post.

2. The image must resemble the theme, although a liberal and creative interpretation is encouraged.

3. A maximum of two (2) entries per participant, in separate posts

Rules for Participants:

• This is a fun contest with nothing to be won but bragging rights.
    Having said that, please read and follow the rules below to make it easier for everyone.
  • The contest period is the current month. Entries can be made until approximately midnight on the last day of the month local time. You can Vote for any picture or multiple pictures you like during the month and voting will extend until the third day of the following month. The winner will then be announced and be responsible for posting the new contest. If the new contest is not announced by the 7th of the month, responsibility for posting falls to the second place finisher. Keep it simple and post/vote early so we don't have to obsess over deadlines and time zones.
  • Post a maximum of two entries, each in a separate post. (The host may also enter.)
  • As the purpose of this contest is to get people out and shooting, photos must be taken in the contest period. Please note the date the photo was taken in your post.
  • As a m43 community, we advocate the use of m43 cameras. However, since many of us shoot with multiple systems, we allow photos taken with any camera.
  • Photos receive one point for each "like" (thumbs up), "funny" (happy face), "appreciate" (heart icon), or "agree" (green check mark) and two points for each "winner" (medal) or "Wow" (surprised face) clicked on the post. The photo with the most points wins the contest. A tie is resolved by the post with the larger number of "winner" and "wow" votes. Submitting a photo to the contest is not required to be able to vote.

Procedures for Winners/Contest Hosts:

• As a contest winner, you are responsible for posting/hosting the contest for the next month. This is easy and just requires several steps as outlined below.
  • Select the theme for the next month. The theme should be accessible and relevant for everyone. Obscure and difficult themes limit participation and are thus discouraged. Avoid themes related to specific holidays, seasons, geography, etc. Suggested themes include: B&W, Portrait, OOC jpeg, Close Up, Self Portrait, Transportation, Minimalist, Architecture, Long Exposure, Art Filter, Motion, Specific Focal Length, Shutter Speed, Liquid, Reflections, Colour, Calm. Pick one of these or you may pick a theme of your own choosing. Themes may be used multiple times.
  • After you select a theme, post a new thread in "Contests and Challenges" section of the forum. The thread title should read "MU-43 Monthly Photo Contest for [current month, year] - [selected theme]". Copy and paste these rules and post. Also please add the contest theme that you just won to the list. You may wish to include a sample photo to demonstrate the theme (and this will not count as an entry).
  • On the last day of the month, post that entries are closed and voting will continue and be accepted until the 3rd.
  • At the conclusion of voting on the 3rd or shortly after, tally the points
  • Photos receive one point for each "like" (thumbs up), "funny" (happy face), "appreciate" (heart icon), or "agree" (green check mark) and two points for each "winner" (medal) or "Wow" (surprised face) clicked on the post. The photo with the most points wins the contest. A tie is resolved by the post with the larger number of "winner" and "wow" vote
  • announce the winner and runner-up, being sure to tag them in the post by using an @ in front of their name
  • also send a PM to the winner.
  • Most important thing is HAVE FUN!
  • MU-43 Monthly Photo Contests

Last edited:

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Morning bump for The Writing on the Wall. It could be the kids redecorating the living room wall with crayons! You get the idea. Let's see some prose. Who will set the marker?

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
How abstract can we take the idea? ?

As in - an image depicting a scenario that to a reasonable person is destined to shortly come to a very predictable end? Sure, why not. However, bear in mind that mining up votes by theoretical abstraction can be daunting. If you think you can pull it off, go for it. Photography is an art of expression and the best images are more often than not the ones that are able to tell a story from a moment captured in time.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
How about a bumpity bump to the top to see if we have anyone out there trying to find this red hot thread. I see we are off to a blazing start with @ Harvey Melvin Richards entry. (thank you Harvey!) Anybody else have an entry for this month's "The Writing on the Wall" contest? As they say with the lottery, You'll have to play to win. The difference here is you control your own luck. Let's see some entries !

mpeg

4/3 Activist...
Real Name
Gordo
10th June 2020..

aa.jpg

Santa

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom Staggs
June 10th, 2020

06FFD893-B3B5-40FC-8647-5AAB8A5D4870.jpeg

Santa

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom Staggs
Second Entry. June 10, 2020

956F5C24-3780-4171-9F68-970A130D910F.jpeg

11GTCS

Mu-43 Veteran
First entry, E-M10ii, 13 June
FEECF490-697B-41E3-8C03-38A93C217015.jpeg

Kalifornier

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Entry # 1 (June 12, 2020): Point Reyes Station, California
L1002693-Edit.jpg

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Dropping in for a Monday Bump. Looks like we're off to a good start for this edition of our Monthly Photo Contest. Keep em coming! As you know, you need not be present to win but you have to present an entry !

Kalifornier

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Entry # 2 (June 16, 2020): Writing on the wall of the botanical kind
P1950593-Edit-2.jpg

joma416

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
John
Here is my first entry, taken on June 16th with my Panasonic GX85 and the 12-32 lens. This is the Soldier's Tower at the University of Toronto. This crop is part of the section for Men and Women from the University lost in WW2.

P1000845_Nik_DxO.jpg

haunted scrap heap
Friday bump! I almost couldn't bring myself to take this one, it's so cheesy... but... it was there.

f6181191.jpg

Taken on the 18th.

BJC1982

Mu-43 Regular
'B' is for banana. Taken at a local school. Taken on 19.6.20.
Misc-6190279.jpg

Last edited:

BJC1982

Mu-43 Regular
Hello, the photos need to be taken during the current month and rule #1 states that the date the photo is taken should be posted In the post. Thanks
Sorry about that. First time posting in one of these threads. I've added the date.

11GTCS

Mu-43 Veteran
Entry #2, Taken 21 June 20 with my Pen-F
“Repossessed”
331EFD3B-7C10-4462-93CB-A5A416DF0A78.jpeg

A bit of context for our urban or non-American members, that’s the remnants of a “No Trespassing” sign. I realized if you didn’t grow up around them, it might not be clear what was intended to be there

Latest threads

Top Bottom