Mu-43 Monthly Photo Contest for September 2020 Topic: Still Life at Home

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
A lot of us may still be stuck at home. I am. Over the years I've spent many a pleasant hour developing a simple scene from arrangements of materials found around the house. Why put them on the shelf when you can hang them on the wall? Anyway, I'd like to spread the joy. You can read a bit about the history of still life here.

Rules:

1. The image must be taken within the contest month; the date the photo was taken must be stated in the post.

2. The image must resemble the theme, although a liberal and creative interpretation is encouraged.

3. A maximum of two (2) entries per participant, in separate posts

Rules for Participants:

• This is a fun contest with nothing to be won but bragging rights.
    Having said that, please read and follow the rules below to make it easier for everyone.
  • The contest period is the current month. Entries can be made until approximately midnight on the last day of the month local time. You can Vote for any picture or multiple pictures you like during the month and voting will extend until the third day of the following month. The winner will then be announced and be responsible for posting the new contest. If the new contest is not announced by the 7th of the month, responsibility for posting falls to the second place finisher. Keep it simple and post/vote early so we don't have to obsess over deadlines and time zones.
  • Post a maximum of two entries, each in a separate post. (The host may also enter.)
  • As the purpose of this contest is to get people out and shooting, photos must be taken in the contest period. Please note the date the photo was taken in your post.
  • As a m43 community, we advocate the use of m43 cameras. However, since many of us shoot with multiple systems, we allow photos taken with any camera.
  • Photos receive one point for each "like" (thumbs up), "funny" (happy face), "appreciate" (heart icon), or "agree" (green check mark) and two points for each "winner" (medal) or "Wow" (surprised face) clicked on the post. The photo with the most points wins the contest. A tie is resolved by the post with the larger number of "winner" and "wow" votes. Submitting a photo to the contest is not required to be able to vote.

Procedures for Winners/Contest Hosts:

• As a contest winner, you are responsible for posting/hosting the contest for the next month. This is easy and just requires several steps as outlined below.
  • Select the theme for the next month. The theme should be accessible and relevant for everyone. Obscure and difficult themes limit participation and are thus discouraged. Avoid themes related to specific holidays, seasons, geography, etc. Suggested themes include: B&W, Portrait, OOC jpeg, Close Up, Self Portrait, Transportation, Minimalist, Architecture, Long Exposure, Art Filter, Motion, Specific Focal Length, Shutter Speed, Liquid, Reflections, Colour, Calm. Pick one of these or you may pick a theme of your own choosing. Themes may be used multiple times.
  • After you select a theme, post a new thread in "Contests and Challenges" section of the forum. The thread title should read "MU-43 Monthly Photo Contest for [current month, year] - [selected theme]". Copy and paste these rules and post. Also please add the contest theme that you just won to the list. You may wish to include a sample photo to demonstrate the theme (and this will not count as an entry).
  • On the last day of the month, post that entries are closed and voting will continue and be accepted until the 3rd.
  • At the conclusion of voting on the 3rd or shortly after, tally the points
  • Photos receive one point for each "like" (thumbs up), "funny" (happy face), "appreciate" (heart icon), or "agree" (green check mark) and two points for each "winner" (medal) or "Wow" (surprised face) clicked on the post. The photo with the most points wins the contest. A tie is resolved by the post with the larger number of "winner" and "wow" vote
  • announce the winner and runner-up, being sure to tag them in the post by using an @ in front of their name
  • also send a PM to the winner.
  • Most important thing is HAVE FUN!
  • MU-43 Monthly Photo Contests

Some out-of-contest examples:

Summer Flowers: Squares and Circles
_HFB3624m43.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Putting a power outage to productive use…
_HFB5763m43.jpg

Maintenance
_DSC3370m43.jpg

Let's see yours!

Bluenose

Mu-43 Regular
A lot of us may still be stuck at home. I am. Over the years I've spent many a pleasant hour developing a simple scene from arrangements of materials found around the house. Why put them on the shelf when you can hang them on the wall? Anyway, I'd like to spread the joy. You can read a bit about the history of still life here.

Rules:

1. The image must be taken within the contest month; the date the photo was taken must be stated in the post.

2. The image must resemble the theme, although a liberal and creative interpretation is encouraged.

3. A maximum of two (2) entries per participant, in separate posts

Rules for Participants:

• This is a fun contest with nothing to be won but bragging rights.
    Having said that, please read and follow the rules below to make it easier for everyone.
  • The contest period is the current month. Entries can be made until approximately midnight on the last day of the month local time. You can Vote for any picture or multiple pictures you like during the month and voting will extend until the third day of the following month. The winner will then be announced and be responsible for posting the new contest. If the new contest is not announced by the 7th of the month, responsibility for posting falls to the second place finisher. Keep it simple and post/vote early so we don't have to obsess over deadlines and time zones.
  • Post a maximum of two entries, each in a separate post. (The host may also enter.)
  • As the purpose of this contest is to get people out and shooting, photos must be taken in the contest period. Please note the date the photo was taken in your post.
  • As a m43 community, we advocate the use of m43 cameras. However, since many of us shoot with multiple systems, we allow photos taken with any camera.
  • Photos receive one point for each "like" (thumbs up), "funny" (happy face), "appreciate" (heart icon), or "agree" (green check mark) and two points for each "winner" (medal) or "Wow" (surprised face) clicked on the post. The photo with the most points wins the contest. A tie is resolved by the post with the larger number of "winner" and "wow" votes. Submitting a photo to the contest is not required to be able to vote.

Procedures for Winners/Contest Hosts:

• As a contest winner, you are responsible for posting/hosting the contest for the next month. This is easy and just requires several steps as outlined below.
  • Select the theme for the next month. The theme should be accessible and relevant for everyone. Obscure and difficult themes limit participation and are thus discouraged. Avoid themes related to specific holidays, seasons, geography, etc. Suggested themes include: B&W, Portrait, OOC jpeg, Close Up, Self Portrait, Transportation, Minimalist, Architecture, Long Exposure, Art Filter, Motion, Specific Focal Length, Shutter Speed, Liquid, Reflections, Colour, Calm. Pick one of these or you may pick a theme of your own choosing. Themes may be used multiple times.
  • After you select a theme, post a new thread in "Contests and Challenges" section of the forum. The thread title should read "MU-43 Monthly Photo Contest for [current month, year] - [selected theme]". Copy and paste these rules and post. Also please add the contest theme that you just won to the list. You may wish to include a sample photo to demonstrate the theme (and this will not count as an entry).
  • On the last day of the month, post that entries are closed and voting will continue and be accepted until the 3rd.
  • At the conclusion of voting on the 3rd or shortly after, tally the points
  • Photos receive one point for each "like" (thumbs up), "funny" (happy face), "appreciate" (heart icon), or "agree" (green check mark) and two points for each "winner" (medal) or "Wow" (surprised face) clicked on the post. The photo with the most points wins the contest. A tie is resolved by the post with the larger number of "winner" and "wow" vote
  • announce the winner and runner-up, being sure to tag them in the post by using an @ in front of their name
  • also send a PM to the winner.
  • Most important thing is HAVE FUN!
  • MU-43 Monthly Photo Contests

Some out-of-contest examples:

Summer Flowers: Squares and Circles
View attachment 844910

Putting a power outage to productive use…
View attachment 844911

Maintenance
View attachment 844961

Let's see yours!
The candles photo is a classic

Bluenose

Mu-43 Regular
In September? Rules say...

Oops! Ok I obviously forgot about that! Well no problem.

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
The term is one-third gone, folks. Here's my attempt to give some of you a bit of encouragement by way of a suggested approach. This post is out-of-contest.

_H3B6593m43-2.jpg

Here's the setup.

IMG_3949.jpg

The dimmable fluorescent torchiere seen reflected in the door glass was the only source of illumination for the camera (the phone added its led for the setup shot). The flat, white ceiling helped a lot. I used the occasion to experiment with Live Time. You can start to judge how dark the room was from the exposure (E-M1 Mark II, O75 1.8, 51 sec, f/13, iso 100). I had (Long Exposure) Noise Reduction set to Auto and Noise Filter set to Standard. Even so, I boosted exposure for this version in LR by 1/3 stop. The background is provided by a piece of black velvet draped over the wingback chair and the stool. It could easily have been a dark, solid-colored sheet. The narrow view of the 75mm lens eases things nicely, allowing the subject to be placed sufficiently far from the background to soften or erase any detail that might be visible in whatever light there is. Add camera and tripod, a bowl with two tomatoes and a pepper (I added the knife later) and, hey presto!, a still life. And I didn't have to clean up anything beforehand, either...

BTW, I was done, setup to teardown in less than an hour.

Last edited:

Zapp

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek
Sept 13th ,2020.

09200120lc3.jpg

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
There's definitely "still life" left in those tools Darek.
But nice to see someone's got some in worse condition than mine. ;)

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
Taken September 12, 2020.

P9120553.jpg

Zapp

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek
Sept 23rd, 2020

09200625fslc.jpg

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Since the rules say I will have to, here's fair warning that in about 48 hours this monthly contest will close. There's still time to submit a still life. Really! Still lifes generally don't move fast, so focusing is not a problem. Unless you've lost focus, that is… ;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom