Mu-43 Monthly Photo Contest for November 2019 - Science & Technology--WINNER ANNOUNCED!

protapic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Hello All,

Maybe this topic might be as scary as last month's to some of you, but be open minded and seek out pictures in the spirit of Science and Technology.

Rules:
1. The image must be taken within the contest month; the date of the photo must be indicated on the post
2. The image must resemble the theme, although a liberal and creative interpretation is encouraged.
3. A maximum of two (2) entries per participant, in separate posts
4. If you shot the image with a micro four thirds camera, include the make and model in your post for an added bonus of three (3) points.

Autopsy of my beloved LX7, RIP

LX7-001.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Entranceway to mothballed Chemistry Building

Chemistry-001.jpg

Copied from the previous month:
As usual, a liberal and creative interpretation of the theme is encouraged!

Rules for Participants:
  • This is a fun contest with nothing to be won but bragging rights. Having said that, please read and follow the rules below to make it easier for everyone.
  • The contest period is the current month. Entries can be made until approximately midnight on the last day of the month local time. Voting will extend until the third day of the following month. The winner will then be announced and be responsible for posting the new contest. If the new contest is not announced by the 7th of the month, responsibility for posting falls to the second place finisher. Keep it simple and post/vote early so we don't have to obsess over deadlines and time zones.
  • Post a maximum of two entries, each in a separate post. (The host may also enter.)
  • As the purpose of this contest is to get people out and shooting, photos must be taken in the contest period. Please note the date the photo was taken in your post.
  • As a m43 community, we advocate the use of m43 cameras. However, since many of us shoot with multiple systems, we allow photos taken with any camera.
  • Photos receive one point for each "like" (thumbs up), "funny" (happy face), "appreciate" (heart icon), or "agree" (green check mark) and two points for each "winner" (medal) or "Wow" (surprised face) clicked on the post. The photo with the most points wins the contest. A tie is resolved by the post with the larger number of "winner" and "wow" votes.
Procedures for Winners/Contest Hosts:
  • As a contest winner, you are responsible for posting/hosting the contest for the next month. This is easy and just requires several steps as outlined below.
  • Select the theme for the next month. The theme should be accessible and relevant for everyone. Obscure and difficult themes limit participation and are thus discouraged. Avoid themes related to specific holidays, seasons, geography, etc. Suggested themes include: B&W, Portrait, OOC jpeg, Close Up, Self Portrait, Transportation, Minimalist, Architecture, Long Exposure, Art Filter, Motion, Specific Focal Length, Shutter Speed, Liquid, Reflections, Colour, Calm. Pick one of these or you may pick a theme of your own choosing. Themes may be used multiple times.
  • After you select a theme, post a new thread in "Contests and Challenges" section of the forum. The thread title should read "MU-43 Monthly Photo Contest for [current month, year] - [selected theme]". Copy and paste these rules and post. Also please add the contest theme that you just won to the list. You may wish to include a sample photo to demonstrate the theme (and this will not count as an entry).
  • On the last day of the month, post that entries are closed and voting will be open until the 3rd.
  • At the conclusion of voting on the 3rd or shortly after, tally the points and announce the winner and runner-up, being sure to tag them in the post and also sending a PM to the winner.
Good luck, but more importantly have fun!

Last edited:

Zairski

Mu-43 Regular
BMW M4 GTS gives you an exit
Em5II 12-40mm
Taken Nov 6, 2019
E5A0111B-ED20-4565-987E-BAAA38F7DFCB.jpeg

Last edited:

protapic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Hi @Zairski - could you please add date photo was taken? Thanks!

Rules:
1. The image must be taken within the contest month; the date of the photo must be indicated on the post

P Hopper

Mu-43 Regular
9C0C1458-63FC-43BD-8A90-460FAC905FD1.jpeg

A look back at previous Technological advances...

Taken 11/10/19. Remembrance Day Service at St Thomas Church NYC.
(I wanted to enter another photo but it was taken in August)

Real Name
Curt Schimmels
Technology from yesteryear on the Big Muddy (Mississippi River, New Orleans) - Steam power to the paddle. Taken 11 November, 2019.
_B070095.jpg

David G

Mu-43 Rookie
PB131861.JPG

Old technology
Taken 11-13-19
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with Olympus 12-40 Pro

Last edited:

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
The top book is one of my most prized possessions. A 1884, first edition T. H. Huxley. Huxley was known as 'Darwin's Bulldog" for his staunch defense of the legendary biologist. The second book is by his grandson Julian Huxley in partnership with none other than H. G. Wells.

Taken 11/20 with the Super Takumar 28 3.5 and Live Composite.

49098290142_2f945bd41b_o.jpg

Real Name
Curt Schimmels
2nd entry: Noon on the Mayan Calendar...
_B190045.jpg

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Absolutely fascinated by his "toy" camera! :biggrin:

2019-11-23_22-56-55_DSCF2276.jpg

Kid #2 with "his" Panasonic GX1. Taken on 2019-11-23 22-56-55 with my X-T2 and Minolta 50/1.4 with a generic focal reducer on. SOOC Jpeg, just scaled down.

Bassam Guy

Mu-43 Rookie
How much technology fit in such a tiny plastic space?
Taken 11/28 with my old but not forgotten E-M5 II. Oly 50mm f1.8 at f4 1/15 ISO 400; handheld, of course :)
191128-0001.jpg

Attachments

• 191128-0001.jpg
    191128-0001.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Picture taken 2019-11-25.

This wonderfully-engineered tilt-shift adapter does not fit on the OM-D E-M1 Mark II (at least) because it's diameter causes it to hit on the EVF. I bought one for $300 from Adorama, due to their faulty advice (in the Q&A portion of the listing) that it would fit all OM-D cameras. After verifying it did not fit, they made a full refund, including return shipping.

Then I found one used for $150. I'm pretty handy, but I didn't fancy voiding the warranty on a $300 item. But a used item has no warranty! So I went ahead and got it.

So, how to make it fit? I went scrounging through my workshop. I found a 1/4" fender washer that almost exactly fit the µ4/3rds flange, a lamp-hanger bracket, that had a nice 1/4" threaded insert in a rectangular bracket that spanned the OM end, and a 1/4" bolt that passed through both with a generous-enough excess to chuck into the drill press.

So I attached all three bits with a 1/4" "nylock" nut, tightened down as close as I could to centre, chucked the thing into my drill press, removed the tilt-lock screw, and taped down the rotation-release button. I set the drill press to its third-lowest speed, and used a file on the spinning adapter to chamfer the camera end of the adapter by about 1mm. And it fit! So I re-assembled it, and finished it off with 120-grit sandpaper, followed by super-fine garnet paper.

The result gives my Olympus OM lenses 10° of tilt and ±10mm of shift!

Taken with an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and the Zuiko Digital 50mm Macro with an MMF-3 4/3rds —> µ4/3rds adapter.

_A251492.JPG

Last edited:

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend

protapic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
PLEASE CAST YOUR VOTES!!! Voting to be closed Oct 6rd December 6th midnight wherever.

(sorry for delayed voting call-I was traveling during Thanksgiving holidays and got distracted...thanks to @TNcasual for the bump! )

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom